997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wierd issue- Jerky / surging accelleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 AM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
Thanks guys- I agree, MAF and TP were on my list of suspects. If it were the MAF, wouldn't idle be erratic as well? Time to flex that warranty first thing in the a.m. - I'll post back what the outcome was.
Most if not every person that has reported this issue had no check engine type light of any kind and the dealership also not finding anything. Do a search on rennlist as well for quite a few detailed threads. Porsche is and has been hiding on this one...

Old 10-05-2011, 01:53 PM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
So this happened to me a few days ago for a few minutes. Is this something i need to be worried about?

Old 10-05-2011, 02:56 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sameerg
So this happened to me a few days ago for a few minutes. Is this something i need to be worried about?
Did you have sport mode selected - few times I've had this and the more aggressive throttle mappping with sport mode was engaged.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:01 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Did you have sport mode selected - few times I've had this and the more aggressive throttle mappping with sport mode was engaged.

Very true^ This also happens if you add an aftermarket throttle booster,

Old 10-05-2011, 03:11 PM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
No, i never use the sport mode. I had just filled gas and it was a rainy day

Old 10-05-2011, 03:15 PM
It almost felt like a car from back in the day with a dirty carburetor. Kinda like a sputter without the sound

Old 10-05-2011, 03:28 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by sameerg
Nope, not necessarily is there a need to worry. This happened to me last time about 3 years ago and nothing showed in the PIWIS tester at all and no codes or check engine light either. It happened sporadically and somewhere I read something similar happened to someone else; I went ahead and did what he did and never again have I had any such problem. I went to the dealer and asked them to re-flash my ECU with the factory software for my car. This solved the issue in my case and I've never had it happen again.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:04 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I have this on my car with AWE cats and X51 airbox. It's the slightest hesitation upon throttle delivery. I have not looked into it, but assume it's due to a change in either the cats, intake or both. Never has it given me an issue with a CEL.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Vegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to behold
Earlier this year I had this happen to me on my '06 C4 for the first time since I bought it. I was totally freaked out and decided to drive it straight to the dealer. About half way there the problem went away and hasn't been back since.

It felt like the throttle program was 'confused' for a few minutes, but then went back to normal.

I'd say don't worry about it unless it comes back...

Old 10-08-2011, 12:29 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
I think it has to do with the battery.

Most of the problems I have had with my car center around the battery and not driving it enough.

I too had experienced the same problem that initiated this thread as well some crazy CELS. The last CEL I had the dealer diagnose was I took off the PSE and that was causing the problem. LOL The car has never had a PSE on it.

Then I read either on this board or RENN.tech that an improperly charged or bad battery can cause CELs. Modern Cars are more sensitive to having a good and the correct battery than old cars due to all the computers.

Case in point I replaced the Battery on my A3 with the "correct" battery from Wal-mart, The Serve Adviser jumped all over me saying I couldn't do that the system has to be set for each battery.

Long story short ever since I have been using a Battery Maintainer the car has no issues and runs better than ever at 27,000 miles.