997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dealer "wrote me up" for my 20's... hilarious

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:32 PM
nyc997cab is infamous around these parts
I must say, Porsche seems to be the most user-UNfriendly auto manufacturer on the planet. Had a somewhat similar instance. This is my 1st. Will be a very tough choice when it comes time to replace it.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:32 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nyc997cab
I must say, Porsche seems to be the most user-UNfriendly auto manufacturer on the planet. Had a somewhat similar instance. This is my 1st. Will be a very tough choice when it comes time to replace it.
Go try Audi. I wasn't allowed to bring my car in for service, if the dealer knew that AoA reps were in town.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Brisbane is infamous around these parts
1st. Identify the dealer so we all know who it is. Not identifying them only encourages practices like this.

2nd. Find another one. Porsche pays the dealership for warranty work- this guy is way out of line to deny any noise related warranty claims for such a specious reason.

3rd. If you ever participate in PCA driving events make sure this dealer doesn't know about it. While I've heard they're much better lately Porsche is within their rights to deny a claim for a defective radio once you've been on the track.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:57 PM
hjacobs2000 is infamous around these parts
WTF ... Find a new dealer. I know that one of my local dealers put 20s on and 2 other local dealers said nothing. One dealer even fixed a door rattle twice

Last edited by hjacobs2000; 10-14-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Porsche_911 is infamous around these parts
WHAT! If the dealership didn't complain about my Accord having 20's on it then it wouldn't make any sense why a Porsche dealership be concerned. Good thing I have 19's on my 911. Whew!

Old 10-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Not having looked at the warranty info, I cannot be certain, however, that claim seems highly unlikely in the United States. The warranty against defects in material and workmanship on a part are not void, just because of some unrelated event. I'm not buying it.

As others have stated elsewhere, just driving onto a track doesn't do squat. Now if you are running around a track (and how do they define track or race or whatever the condition is - and how is that different from my trying to get home as quick as possible) and that causes a component failure (say suspension, as an example), I can see them not warranting that part. Running around a track cannot invalidate a warranty on the radio.

If Porsche North America thinks that my putting a GT front bumper vent into my front bumper is going to invalidate my entire car warranty, then I can say that we have a date in court where this will be resolved.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:28 PM
MelsM3 is infamous around these parts
In New York City, that service micro-manager would be called Richard!

"Boys with little ones, often act like big ones"

Old 10-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Brisbane is infamous around these parts
I researched this pretty extensively when Autoweek did an article a few years ago on warranty exclusions. I even spoke with a VP in the Legal Department for Porsche in Atlanta at length. Porsche is indeed within its rights to void your warranty (on any unrelated part) for track use- the language is clear. Having said this no one (at least at the time) had tested this in court- certainly a fitness for purpose claim might render their language moot. You will also note that Porsche is very, very careful in how it words their advertising and other promotional or instructional language- the sport chron, for example, measures "trips", not "laps".

As to the exclusions for rattles due to fitment of 20 inch wheels- that's BS. IMO they'd have to show a direct correlation and I think they'd lose. That dealer (or certainly that service writer/manager) is full of it. Please tell us who it is so that at least I ensure they don't get my business.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:49 PM
987bs is infamous around these parts
mhmm, dealers sometimes are a PITA... I've got 20s on my boxster, and I get nothing but props

Old 10-15-2008, 12:53 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the input guys- Beverly Hills Porsche, Eric (service manager or one of them).
Overall experience has been adequate, and I'd like to point out that he offered to fix a sizeable worn spot on my seat leather for free so at least that was cool.

I will be pressing the specific issue when I go pick up my car, I'd like them to produce some documentation or precedence for enforcing this as a "general denial of warranty" statement for squeak / rattle claims.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Thats sorta like saying "If you drive on this crappy road, we will deny claims on rattles and squeeks".

Old 10-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Big_O is infamous around these parts
No offense to UPS, but they frequently pay managers bonuses for denying claims for lost or damaged packages. It's ususally, "you didn't pack the product well" (yeah right), or "it wasn't insured for enough" or "you didn't request a signature." So sick and tired of that BS.

Guys, you need to decide whether Porsche dealerships are going to micro-manage "Your Driving Experience" or you are going to do what you want with "Your Purchase".

The worse case scenario is you drive and build the car to your specs, then if something happens pay out of pocket to fix it. For some people, the price of freedom is worth more than the cost of a warranty.

Last edited by Big_O; 10-15-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:05 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Guess what??!!??
I picked up my pcar today and prevailed on the issue!!

I asked the service manager what the deal is, specifically with 20's and warranty. After he could not give me a good straight answer, I hit him with the fact that a Teamspeed forum member had just purchased a BRAND NEW 09 turbo direct from Newport Beach dealer with TA 20's! The 20's came with the car as it sat on the showroom floor.
Given this, it is not a problem with warranty.
I invited him to call the other dealership and verify if he didn't believe me.

At that point he gave up on the issue and removed the reference from my car's record in the computer. No more "Rap sheet" for my pcar!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:43 AM
adhood is infamous around these parts
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the Magnusson Moss Act protect you from a dealer denying a warranty claim.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:19 AM
GOOGc4s is infamous around these parts
RUN Forrest RUN!! That dealer is full of S***. Oh please, HRE, TECHART, Etc. blows factory wheels off the chart. Not only in quality but in strength, weight, specs and millions of government approved testing all approved by the DOT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer "wrote me up" for my 20's... hilarious