997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Does this radiator look damaged?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Zoom is infamous around these parts
Does this radiator look damaged?

Hi,

I have received today my SC from VF engineering. I have unpacked the boxes to check what it looks like and noticed that the radiator is a bit damaged but not sure if it's bad or I am just worrying too much. I have attached pictures of the radiator.

I have contacted VF Engineering and they mentionned that the cooling will not be affected and not to worry about the performance of the radiator. They said that this could happen as the little tines are very fragile and this might have happened just with the covering paper pushing on them. Also they said when I take my bumper off, I will notice that my current radiators will look much worst than this.

Please advise.

Thanks

Last edited by Zoom; 10-23-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:29 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Links not working

Old 10-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Picasa pics don't seem to work. I will create a photobucket account now and upload them

Old 10-23-2008, 04:49 PM

Old 10-23-2008, 04:55 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I can see your concern, but I don't think that it would effect performance.

You can straighten them out if you want.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:35 PM
mark911997sC is infamous around these parts
Pour in some distilled water and if nothing leaks, nothings wrong. If you don't install grille screens, the radiator will get this kind of damage just from regular driving.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:06 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
For me personally, I would sent it back and get another one. Performance wise it is probably fine, however from an aesthetic standpoint the marks are uniform and stand out. I've had my SC since Feb of this year and although I have a few rock dings nothing as attention getting as this. To put it another way, this particular radiator right now looks the best it will ever. I would not want this to be the starting point, especially considering what you paid for the kit. I would say it was not packaged properly.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:19 AM
2006997C4SCab @ Sending it back is not the easiest and cheapest option as I live in Morocco. Also it has to go through customs back and forth etc.

I am just worried if the radiator will work properly and perform as it should. what it looks like is not a real concern.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:41 AM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
In that case sure you should probably keep it. Those thin aluminum pieces do bend very easily and can be bent just by pushing on them. The internal core is a very different story however and is very tough and protected. I doubt you would have any damage to the core looking at the picture and performance would NOT be affected since you still have a lot of surface area unaffected, in my opinion.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:24 AM
MartinJF is infamous around these parts
Given your location I would keep it, it will not affect performance. Take a look at the radiators in your car and you will quickly appreciate what happens as the car is used.

Morocco is an interesting place I took part of my vacation there this year, lots of police on the roads!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:06 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Those are simply heat defusers or heat sinks and although some appear to be bent (most likely during packaging or shipping) I doubt if it'll be a functional problem. You just might want to take a small bladed screwdriver and 'carefully straighten' them out if it bothers you.

Someone allready mentioned they are make of 'soft' aluminum so they do deform or bend easily.

You just may want to alert the company you bought the SC Kit from and let them know that if this becomes a problem you expect them to replace it.

Let us know how it all works out.

Good Luck!

Old 10-24-2008, 01:10 PM
AP 997S @ yes, I have already alerted Delius @ VF Engineering, which by the way was great to deal with, and he said that I shouldnt worry anf if anything wasn't working, they would be very happy to replace it.

MartinJF @ Yeah I hear ya. Morocco is a great country. I enjoy it and especially since I am part of a cars club that organizes lot of road trips with lot of nice cars. Here are some pics:

Here is even a video of the cars club getting in the track:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x75...e-circuit_auto

Old 10-25-2008, 01:16 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
The defects to the radiator seem minor and will not effect performance. However, it can be reasonably expected that all components will be delivered in perfect condition for the high price of the kit. All additional costs should be paid by the supplier.