997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

to supercharge a 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:31 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
I am thinking about doing the VF supercharger in a year, when my 997 2S Cabrio goes out of warranty. I already have some $13K in aftermarket, about $9K of that into the motor. I also put a lot of miles on, around 33K so far and will take a hit on that whenever I sell the car.

I am not trying to talk anyone out of modifying their car, but I hope that they will go into it with their eyes open. The conservative assumption is that you will receive only a small fraction of the cost of aftermarket work and many potential buyers will not touch a significantly modified car. A car that has had speed parts removed for sale of a supposedly stock vehicle is certainly suspect to any buyer that finds out about it.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:12 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MichaelL
I am not trying to talk anyone out of modifying their car, but I hope that they will go into it with their eyes open. The conservative assumption is that you will receive only a small fraction of the cost of aftermarket work and many potential buyers will not touch a significantly modified car. A car that has had speed parts removed for sale of a supposedly stock vehicle is certainly suspect to any buyer that finds out about it.
I agree with you.

I was pitching the case that, there is a point, when the rare (and insane) person (like myself, I think) has modified the car so far that it is no longer the original car. In my case, I have had it tested, compared, and documented as to its superiority in a worldwide magazine (not released yet and I can't get specific just yet). Thusly, I have already had VERY high amounts offered to me for my car. So, I only meant to say that the 'rule' you were talking about had, like almost all rules, exceptions. I do agree to that rule overall though. I hope that makes sense and clears up my opinion on the matter.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
i just sc my 996 from vf and im in love!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 PM
justjay202 is infamous around these parts
Just leased an '08 997 non-s cab. love the porsche culture and brand now. wish i did this sooner.

I sat in Summoboy's car when he sold me cats a while back. The thing is a TIP, not PDK, no STICK. That thing is an 'f-ing' ROCKET. SICK. If you want an easy way to SMOKE (I notice a lot of people use the term 'walk' which I think just means "beat" while I mean SMOKE / DUST / BURN / KILL / MURDER) an M5 with a dinky 997.. forced induction is an easy way to go.

I'd pull the trigger on the TPC myself since the experience I have sat through was a TPC. If not for this stupid warranty and it being a lease (I write it off through my business), I'd have asked someone to put it on for $12500 cash (in this economy someone is willing to do that deal). I would pull up next to my buddy's M5 and give him the whooping of his life.

Someone in this thread compared purchasing the SC kit to getting a 997TT. I don't think that's a fair comparison (exampled from new car prices) since a 997TT will run you $115K OTD (after $15k off MSRP) for 997TT vs $85k OTD (after $11k off MSRP) for 997S. The difference is like $30k. An installed SC system these days is $13k at most given the state of things. When done with the SC, you'll beat the TT. Simple math.

If you're not worried about a warranty, do yourself the favor and pull the trigger already.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:11 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Totally agree.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:45 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
?

997 SC vs 997TT and you think it will beat it hands down? Keep pace maybe but no where have I seen beat it. Talking stage one SC right on a 997 not 997.2? Please explain, and not being a wise guy here just never thought that to be the case, trust me would be thrilled as I am basically stock engine (besides evo air box) 05 997 and going SC next year....

Originally Posted by justjay202
Just leased an '08 997 non-s cab. love the porsche culture and brand now. wish i did this sooner.

I sat in Summoboy's car when he sold me cats a while back. The thing is a TIP, not PDK, no STICK. That thing is an 'f-ing' ROCKET. SICK. If you want an easy way to SMOKE (I notice a lot of people use the term 'walk' which I think just means "beat" while I mean SMOKE / DUST / BURN / KILL / MURDER) an M5 with a dinky 997.. forced induction is an easy way to go.

I'd pull the trigger on the TPC myself since the experience I have sat through was a TPC. If not for this stupid warranty and it being a lease (I write it off through my business), I'd have asked someone to put it on for $12500 cash (in this economy someone is willing to do that deal). I would pull up next to my buddy's M5 and give him the whooping of his life.

Someone in this thread compared purchasing the SC kit to getting a 997TT. I don't think that's a fair comparison (exampled from new car prices) since a 997TT will run you $115K OTD (after $15k off MSRP) for 997TT vs $85k OTD (after $11k off MSRP) for 997S. The difference is like $30k. An installed SC system these days is $13k at most given the state of things. When done with the SC, you'll beat the TT. Simple math.

If you're not worried about a warranty, do yourself the favor and pull the trigger already.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:21 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
thoughts?

Faster backroads and in the twist's why, because lighter being none awd? just curiopus... I figured the same, all the reading I have done says the 997 SC will somewhat keep up (keep up but still loose) to a 997TT but walk easy a 997s...

PS your car is NUTZ in a good way

Old 10-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by mickfluff
Faster backroads and in the twist's why, because lighter being none awd? just curiopus... I figured the same, all the reading I have done says the 997 SC will somewhat keep up (keep up but still loose) to a 997TT but walk easy a 997s...

PS your car is NUTZ in a good way
Are you talking to me? I typed a response and then immediately deleted it, as I wanted to think about it more. You seem to have read and responded to it within about 2 minutes of it posting. If you aren't talking to me, then, oops. But if so, thank you for the compliment.

The 997S SC is faster on the twistys because of steering feel and because there's no lag. I don't like having to push the throttle a moment before I am at the apex of one turn, just to have it thrust me like a rocket at the next apex, unweighting the turning/braking wheels because of all the thrust. It's just a point and squirt machine... although very effective. My car, in contrast, is very engaging and will tell you all you need to know (again, it's not just a supercharged S) through the steering wheel and overall translation of the road's surface to my brain. By the way, the TT I experienced this in was a 680HP monster with coilovers and PCCB. Don't ever drag race a TT though. It's a joke. Also, unless you really are going to push the car or track it, the TT is still a great option, especially compared to something like an AMG SL, which is what I consider its competition.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:33 AM
hjacobs2000 is infamous around these parts
Supercharge ... The best decision I ever made

Old 10-30-2008, 05:45 AM
rjh58 is infamous around these parts
Hi again

great thread so far. so, sc 997 will not take a tt, am I correct in saying this. At least not on the 0-60 front. I am thinking of using the 997 to turn into a race car. How is it for track purposes?

thanks
rob

Old 10-30-2008, 08:09 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
997S supercharged

While I'm very attracted to the 997TT (I still may get one) I wanted a lighter RWD 997 model. However, I felt the need for more power. Below is a chart for an evo SC. If you compare those 997S SC figures with stock 997TT (1/4 mile link) figures - you see it is possible for a 997SC to more than keep up with a TT. I have a TPC kit which claims 503HP at crank (non S?) and 415 TQ.

Specifications (Provided by Evolution Motorsports)
Stock 997S
997S Supercharged

Engine
Cylinders

Displacement
3.8 L
3.8 L

Engine layout
Rear engine
Rear engine

Horsepower (SAE)
355 hp
475 hp

Torque (SAE)
295 lb-ft
370 lb-ft

Compression ratio
11.8 : 1
11.8 : 1
Performance
Top track speed
182 mph
185+mph

0-60 mph
4.6 sec
4.1 sec (est.)

0-99 mph
10.7 sec
8.7 sec

1/4 Mile
12.97 @ 110.69 MPH
11.45 @ 124.42 MPH

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/55163-6speedonline-1-4-mile-60-130-mph-standings.html

We are not trying to beat other p-cars as - we are family. But it is very nice to have a 'sleeper' rocket 997S - when needed.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by rjh58
Hi again

great thread so far. so, sc 997 will not take a tt, am I correct in saying this. At least not on the 0-60 front. I am thinking of using the 997 to turn into a race car. How is it for track purposes?

thanks
rob
It will not take a TT in a straight line. I promise you. It's wonderful for track purposes. While I have the full GT3 conversion of my suspension (so that matters a bit), and big Brembos my car is definitely faster than a GT3 on any track that I've ever been to. Noticeably.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Here, I post my dyno graph. I swapped exhausts and got a good bit more power, probably 15 or so (there was something wrong with the one that was installed during this dyno). Also, I attach a GT3 stock dyno from another thread here on 6speed. I hope this helps. My car has the VF kit, IPD plenum, and (now, after this dyno pull) GMGs new and wonderful WC exhaust for 997s with center exit exhaust.

My dyno chart. Again, it's now up 15-20 more, but this is all I have. With the standard drivetrain loss that seems to be widely accepted here on the forum of 15%, this means that my car had 471 on this day. If I'm right and the new and 'unplugged' exhaust gave it back 15 even, then I should theoretically have 488. 20 more and it's at 484. Not enough to drag race the boosted turbo.

Stock GT3 dyno.

Last edited by blakt out; 10-30-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 AM
kdubb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by blakt out
It will not take a TT in a straight line. I promise you. It's wonderful for track purposes. While I have the full GT3 conversion of my suspension (so that matters a bit), and big Brembos my car is definitely faster than a GT3 on any track that I've ever been to. Noticeably.
seems with the 124 trap on the SC, it should more than beat if not be neck and neck the Turbo.. they trap at 121 if I remember correctly

maybe Im crazy

Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by kdubb
seems with the 124 trap on the SC, it should more than beat if not be neck and neck the Turbo.. they trap at 121 if I remember correctly

maybe Im crazy
You aren't crazy. It's that I've never known of anyone other than EvoMS getting a run like that in the 1/4 mile. Maybe if they rented the track and had enough time to try and try and try and try, it's possible. Well, of course it is because they show the video of it. But a turbo would be much easier to get an optimal run.

However, I will say that when I ran it (12.12, I believe) I had 20s and no limited slip, and that was my first try that day. I had a good bit of axle hop. I think my trap was 116 though, in that run.

But I've done many acceleration runs from a roll... 5mph to 40mph, and the turbo is simply faster.

I have one, dude. I run it. I'm not scared to push it. I also know how to drive decently. I'm just saying that a turbo has always won in every face off that I've done with one in a straight line. However, the weight, lack of communication, and overall yuckiness of all wheel drive (sorry for being so opinionated here, but I feel this strongly) all contribute to the turbo being slower on back roads and every track that I run, which is 3 tracks very often.

Just trying to help. This thread is all about the facts of supercharging a 997 or 997S. I'm FOR it. I LOVE my kit. I LOVE my car more than any 911 I've ever driven, really. So I'm not trying to pour cold water on this whole thing. Quite the opposite. But I'm also wanting you to go into your supercharger purchase with a correct set of expectations. You won't be outgunning your 997TT friends from a stoplight to 100.

Last edited by blakt out; 10-30-2008 at 09:47 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: to supercharge a 997?