997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

to supercharge a 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:26 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
We are in agreement. I am now into mods as follows:
-Mufflers $1,400
-ECU $1,000
-Plenum $1,000
-LWFW, clutch, pressure plate, install, $3,000
-EVOMS Intake $600
Next:
-Cats $1,600
-Headers $600
Total: $9,200

VS:

SC: $13,000

No brainer is to skip the $9k I spent and head straight to the SuperCharger aisle "without passing GO".

But now that I've done what I've done, to not SC is moronic. I'm so far down the road already with most of pre-req's/ optimizers.

Had I added it up this way at onset of the mod bug, I'd have SC'd first. But for me, and I suspect for many, the mod bug bites slowly then suddenly. And by the time you're manic, you're already, like me, $9k in. It starts so innocently, and before you know it, you're driving Darth Vader's Blakt Out Sled.
CATTMAN
Agree also,
I have had 3 supercharged cars/trucks(NSX with Gruppe M,Jeep Grand Cherokee with Kenne bell and a 2000 chev truck with a whipple) and all the mods didn't even come close to what the supercharger would do!
But with mods it is easy to spend a little here/there unlike the charger huge out lay of $$$$$ right now !
Kills the bank account but makes you "Grinn like a Joker"(borrowed line,LOL)

PS the mods do help the overall experience in most cases though,so just throw money at it and have fun !
After all it is only money!

Last edited by justatoy; 12-15-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 PM
justjay202 is infamous around these parts
Stacy,

You beat me to Jared's VF SC kit. He contacted me before he posted, but I delayed on the purchase. You beat me to the deal.

Congrats on the purchase!

I'm considering going for a new one... geez.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:42 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justjay202
Stacy,

You beat me to Jared's VF SC kit. He contacted me before he posted, but I delayed on the purchase. You beat me to the deal.

Congrats on the purchase!

I'm considering going for a new one... geez.
If I lived in the US and that close to VF I would have done a new one as well!
However by the time I pay duties(taxes) and money exchange I am looking at $13,500 CDN for the $10,000 US group buy!

Old 12-15-2008, 10:44 PM
jtellez is infamous around these parts
hi guys,

i have a 2006 997 C4S stock in Mexico and I'm wondering who could install me in TX a supercharger kit...

I have seen the TPC kit http://www.tpcracing.us/products/sup...arger_kit.html

but wondering if they are the only ones

thanks

Old 12-16-2008, 05:30 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jtellez
hi guys,

i have a 2006 997 C4S stock in Mexico and I'm wondering who could install me in TX a supercharger kit...

thanks

Stay away from the TPC kit.

If you want the VF kit, take it to EVO in AZ. Even though they don't sell the kit any more, they distributed and installed them for years. I'm sure they would be happy to do the install for you.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:48 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
hi guys,

thanks
Ruf in Dallas

Old 12-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Michael 996TT is infamous around these parts
Blackt Out - just was reading these threads and thought I would throw a quick thanks for the "road tips" in NC you gave me a while back. Had the AM out in Oct and had a total blast !!! The Tail was great (no cops - made the web sites) but there are so many other roads out there ... very well kept secret ... who needs Europe when we have western NC and those mountains !!! thanks again ....
And there are SC kits coming out for AM V8s too ....

Old 12-16-2008, 08:13 AM
jtellez is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Stay away from the TPC kit.

If you want the VF kit, take it to EVO in AZ. Even though they don't sell the kit any more, they distributed and installed them for years. I'm sure they would be happy to do the install for you.

...thanks for replies

any websites to not mistake and go direct???

and for my curiosity what are the minus points with the TPC? or sayed in other way... what makes the VF better??

thanks again...

Old 12-16-2008, 08:31 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
Blackt Out - just was reading these threads and thought I would throw a quick thanks for the "road tips" in NC you gave me a while back. Had the AM out in Oct and had a total blast !!! The Tail was great (no cops - made the web sites) but there are so many other roads out there ... very well kept secret ... who needs Europe when we have western NC and those mountains !!! thanks again ....
And there are SC kits coming out for AM V8s too ....
You got it Michael! The roads are amazing, for sure. Glad to see that you got to get that car (most beautiful mass-production car in the world in my book) out there and drive it like it was intended. SC? Wow!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:01 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
...thanks for replies

any websites to not mistake and go direct???

and for my curiosity what are the minus points with the TPC? or sayed in other way... what makes the VF better??

thanks again...
www.evoms.com

i don't know VF's site, but they are sponsor and should have a link to the right.

as far as the TPC is concerned, here are the downsides:

small company with limited support network
piggy back ECU instead of a re-programmed ECU
extra injectors added to the fuel lines instead of just using larger injectors
it looks homemade
it's obnoxiously noisy

It does add a lot of power and the air filter is easy to access for cleaning. Other than that, there is no reason not to buy the EVO/VF kit. Not to mention EVO has sold hundreds of their superchargers so it's a proven kit. TPC does a lot of things right and it's a good company, I just wouldn't buy their supercharger. I know of at least one person that had to have it uninstalled after even TPC couldn't figure it out...

Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 AM
fastdreams has a spectacular aura aboutfastdreams has a spectacular aura about
hi guys,

thanks
Park Place Porsche in Dallas, Steve Fordham can hook you up with anything you want.

http://www.parkplacetexas.com/dealer...dealershipid=2

And of course RUF has a center in Dallas now.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
www.evoms.com

i don't know VF's site, but they are sponsor and should have a link to the right.

as far as the TPC is concerned, here are the downsides:

small company with limited support network
piggy back ECU instead of a re-programmed ECU
it looks homemade
it's obnoxiously noisy

It does add a lot of power and the air filter is easy to access for cleaning. Other than that, there is no reason not to buy the EVO/VF kit. Not to mention EVO has sold hundreds of their superchargers so it's a proven kit. TPC does a lot of things right and it's a good company, I just wouldn't buy their supercharger. I know of at least one person that had to have it uninstalled after even TPC couldn't figure it out...

Just came across this thread as another TPC client pointed it out to me.

Everyone has their preferences when it comes to tuning, people buy different cars because they like different attributes of cars.

We make great products and have used the same philosophy in tuning our cars for a long time. We use extra injectors and we use piggyback tuning because it works very well for us.

Deputy Dog and I will never agree on tuning a car as he and I have had discussions in the past but to blatently say that our kits look homemade is rediculous. We manufacture all of our tubing and do all of our R&D in house. We choose chargers from companies we trust and work with. We are far from home brew. We have our preferences and we stick with them.

We would be happy to consult with anyone who is about to make this decision as we feel we have made a very strong stout product.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
Just came across this thread as another TPC client pointed it out to me.

Everyone has their preferences when it comes to tuning, people buy different cars because they like different attributes of cars.

We make great products and have used the same philosophy in tuning our cars for a long time. We use extra injectors and we use piggyback tuning because it works very well for us.

Deputy Dog and I will never agree on tuning a car as he and I have had discussions in the past but to blatently say that our kits look homemade is rediculous. We manufacture all of our tubing and do all of our R&D in house. We choose chargers from companies we trust and work with. We are far from home brew. We have our preferences and we stick with them.

We would be happy to consult with anyone who is about to make this decision as we feel we have made a very strong stout product.

Why is it when it's gets uncomfortable for you in a thread you want to take it to pm and when it's convenient you continue to post?

Yes, "in my opinion", the kit I saw in person looked thrown together. That's my opinion though FWTW. Maybe that's why it looks homemade to me as you do in fact make it "in house". I formed this opinion before I purchased a supercharger kit so it's not like I'm crapping on the TPC kit because I don't own it. I looked at the two kits and the EVO's fit and finish was far nicer than the TPC kit I saw.

Dude, let it go already... We've already agreed I don't like your kit for a lot of different reasons (no dealer network, noisy, fuel delivery, etc...). End of story. As a sponsor on here, you're going to wear yourself out if you feel the need to defend yourself every time someone doesn't give your product a glowing review. Arguing with a retard like me online certainly isn't going to sell any kits If you make a good kit people will buy it regardless of what I say....

Old 01-09-2009, 04:58 AM
hjacobs2000 is infamous around these parts
www.evoms.com

i don't know vf's site, but they are sponsor and should have a link to the right.

As far as the tpc is concerned, here are the downsides:

Small company with limited support network
piggy back ecu instead of a re-programmed ecu
it looks homemade
it's obnoxiously noisy

it does add a lot of power and the air filter is easy to access for cleaning. Other than that, there is no reason not to buy the evo/vf kit. Not to mention evo has sold hundreds of their superchargers so it's a proven kit. Tpc does a lot of things right and it's a good company, i just wouldn't buy their supercharger. I know of at least one person that had to have it uninstalled after even tpc couldn't figure it out...
ditto

Old 01-09-2009, 07:47 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
Thankfully we can all express our opinions. I went with TPC becuase of the higher power and torque. The local tuners I talked with at the time, had told me that the VF kit was not as "impressive" as the TPC. The last thing I want after spending $15k on is something I'm not happy with. The TPC kit did give large gains in power and torque - very amazing. TPC has plenty of racing experience to back up their direction for the kit. It is a vastly different setup than the VF way. The TPC supercharger is much, much larger and produces more power/TQ at lower RPM levels. My 997 was a rocket with the TPC kit. And the screw SC used by TPC has been around a long time - it is proven technology. The VF SC looks like a small turbo (which it is bascially). I had the TPC kit on my car for over a year and loved it. My car was a daily driver and performed extremely well is an types of weather.
Again, I did the research when I bought my TPC kit. I suggest that anyone who is considering a SC for their 996 / 997 do the same. Then pick the kit you like best. I still would like to see some side by side tests (0-60 1/4m 60-130) for cars using each of the kits. That would offer more information to the drivers trying to decide which kit is best for them. If my kit were still on (de-moding - looking for a TT), I would offer up my car for such testing. Cheers.

Last edited by summoboy; 01-10-2009 at 09:27 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: to supercharge a 997?