997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The party's in Charlotte today/tonight!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:14 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
The party's in Charlotte today/tonight!

We have the release event here tonight, some biggies from Porsche are in town, and the setup began today. Looking good. I sat in the 997S finally, first time. Definitely better in person.

The Good:
Rear Fender Hips
Engine on the S is awesome
Seats were very comfortable
Good leather craftsmanship
Awesome audio, in comparison to past systems

The Bad:
Headlights look wrong, still
19" wheels look like crap
Window switches are wrong, on driver door
Center console is too busy
Rear Center Console is too ugly
Front end needs more aggressive styling/grille
Ride height with 19's is silly - at least 2" too high

The Ugly:
Steering wheel belongs on a Mini

Otherwise, a very nice interpretation of the 911. Not for me, very happy I have the '04 C4S Cab. But I'll give them a couple years to get this right. By then, who knows?

Anyway - here are a few shots of the eye candy everyone is seeing nowadays:

Old 08-27-2004, 04:47 AM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
Damn, it looks so much better than the ugly blob 996 headlights. The black really brings out the beauty in the 997. I'm surprised you're disappointed at the switches on the door, that's where they should've stayed IMHO instead of moving them to the center console like they did with the 996. That center console has a scary amount of buttons stuffed into it, they could've done a better job at that. Other than that, looks awesome, an obvious step in the right direction since the 993.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:58 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Great Pics Eric - Thanks bud - How awesome is the nose of the CGT

Old 08-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Was a nice party. One thing I noticed was all the 997's had clear bra on the leading edge of the rear fenders. A throwback to the old widebody 993s I guess. Serves no real purpose, but odd to see it on there from the factory.

Old 08-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Carolina Speed
james is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Great review, Eric, sorry I missed you. Got there kind of late and spent more time visiting with people than looking at the 997. The CGT was a nice addition to the show. Did you get to hear the engine of the CGT? Wow. Wow. Even better than I remembered from Renn II

Old 08-28-2004, 07:12 AM
Former Vendor
Heard the CGT a few times. Mark got really nervous driving it in, and waited until there was a crowd. He pulled in then gunned it a few times. Damn things sounded like a lear jet pulling out.

Mr. Hendrick came up shortly afterwards. Smiling, of course.