997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GMG's new 997 Exhaust. I've got it. It's my 4th exhaust, and it will be my last!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:54 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing;2102126

Here is a YOUTUBE link

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZxGxYz4nMA"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZxGxYz4nMA[/URL]
Hey, that's me in there! I'm famous!

Old 10-24-2008, 03:04 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blakt out
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing;2102126

Here is a YOUTUBE link

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZxGxYz4nMA

Hey, that's me in there! I'm famous!
That sounds really good, nice corner!

Old 10-24-2008, 05:34 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
The catalytic converter section has both cylinder banks connected together. How is the thermal expansion and vibration accommodated across the motor for preventing fatigue cracks in the exhaust system?

Also, what is the difference in exhaust note when all 6 cylinders combine in both mufflers, rather than having two 3 cylinder banks?

It looks OK in black prototype, but hopefully a more attractive polished finish is available in the final product.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:49 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MichaelL
The catalytic converter section has both cylinder banks connected together. How is the thermal expansion and vibration accommodated across the motor for preventing fatigue cracks in the exhaust system?

Also, what is the difference in exhaust note when all 6 cylinders combine in both mufflers, rather than having two 3 cylinder banks?

It looks OK in black prototype, but hopefully a more attractive polished finish is available in the final product.

Michael,

While Fabryce will have to answer those first questions (which I think he did answer for me while in his 'pitch' at his shop, but I can't relay it like he can), I will point out that the black on my exhaust is an optional, and costly choice. I think that polished is the standard. You can definitely get it that way, and save some cash.

More attractive? Opinion, of course. Not mine though. Why in the world exhausts have evolved into a place for bling, I have no idea. That's just how it's been for a while, I guess. To each his own...

Jared

Old 11-09-2008, 01:12 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Jared,

Any issues with the Carbon Kevlar rear bumper from GMG? As in, cracking. I figure your a track junky and a good test platform for the bumper. Any issues?

Jason

Old 11-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by JEllis
Jared,

Any issues with the Carbon Kevlar rear bumper from GMG? As in, cracking. I figure your a track junky and a good test platform for the bumper. Any issues?

Jason
Jason,

No issues. However, the bodyshop that painted it sucks and the paint is very thin. So the paint is flaking off, but that's not the bumper's issue. I will be having it repainted soon. Also though, I should point out that I've only tracked it a few times, because I shipped it out to California for a mag test. We ran it hard out there on some crazy backroads and it actually shows back up in NC, finally, tomorrow. There are no cracks whatsoever. I can't imagine it cracking. Maybe you're thinking its rigid, like fiberglass. But it's not. The Kevlar makes it very pliable. It's great. I don't expect this to crack, even under impact. It's a high quality piece.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:15 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by blakt out
Jason,

No issues. However, the bodyshop that painted it sucks and the paint is very thin. So the paint is flaking off, but that's not the bumper's issue. I will be having it repainted soon. Also though, I should point out that I've only tracked it a few times, because I shipped it out to California for a mag test. We ran it hard out there on some crazy backroads and it actually shows back up in NC, finally, tomorrow. There are no cracks whatsoever. I can't imagine it cracking. Maybe you're thinking its rigid, like fiberglass. But it's not. The Kevlar makes it very pliable. It's great. I don't expect this to crack, even under impact. It's a high quality piece.
How about melting? I believe OEM GT3/RS bumpers have an extra piece that surrounds the exhaust opening. I imagine the Carbon Kevlar is quite resistant to melting.....

Old 11-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by GTS-R
Sports Car International is pretty good. In my opinion the best US mag.
SCI was my favorite US car mag. Unfortunately, last issue was literally the last issue. The magazine has folded its tent and will be missed.

Back on topic - that exhaust sounds amazing.

Did I read Fabryce's comments correctly in that there is a system that will work for 997S owners who don't wish to do the GT3 center exhaust bumper option?

Old 11-12-2008, 10:57 AM
How about melting? I believe OEM GT3/RS bumpers have an extra piece that surrounds the exhaust opening. I imagine the Carbon Kevlar is quite resistant to melting.....
Yeah. I can't answer this as a pro chemist or anything, but this is nearly the same stuff that all Rolex Cup/ IMSA teams use for rear bumpers. I don't think that the Kevlar's going to have any issues.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
SCI was my favorite US car mag. Unfortunately, last issue was literally the last issue. The magazine has folded its tent and will be missed.

Back on topic - that exhaust sounds amazing.

Did I read Fabryce's comments correctly in that there is a system that will work for 997S owners who don't wish to do the GT3 center exhaust bumper option?
You're right. It does sound amazing (not bragging... I didn't make the thing!) It's amazing looking, in my opinion, in the thermal coating too. Not to start a nuclear war or anything, but have any of you wondered about why we bling out our exhaust tips (self included)? Once I had the black exhaust, I started noticing the bling-factor of other tips, or of mine in older pics. Why would we bling out our exhaust tips? We do as a worldwide auto industry. Wild.

It seems like Fab said that they were going to do that. I'll be sure he sees this thread as I'm sure he'll want to chime in.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
aika is infamous around these parts
Will this be offered in quads?

Old 12-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by aika
Will this be offered in quads?
As in a GMG designed system for the standard bumpers? I am sure GMG has considered this. My car is currently at GMG having this same exhaust installed and I can ask them when I pick up the car. However, a similar setup for the standard bumper would be very much like the full AWE system (Mufflers, Cats, Headers) which GMG already sells and installs...

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 12-09-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:46 PM
aika is infamous around these parts
As in a GMG designed system for the standard bumpers? I am sure GMG has considered this. My car is currently at GMG having this same exhaust installed and I can ask them when I pick up the car. However, a similar setup for the standard bumper would be very much like the full AWE system (Mufflers, Cats, Headers) which GMG already sells and installs...

Jason
Thanks but don't worry about it. You're right, I'm just going to run with either Europipe or Cargraphic.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by aika
Thanks but don't worry about it. You're right, I'm just going to run with either Europipe or Cargraphic.
I re-read the GMG site and it looks like the system I am getting can be configured for quads or center exit.

Jason

Old 12-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Jason,

Yeah. I really say go with the GMG exhaust. It's such a well-made and sweet sounding piece.

Jared

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GMG's new 997 Exhaust. I've got it. It's my 4th exhaust, and it will be my last!