997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Front Number Plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:44 PM
PyroKerry has a spectacular aura aboutPyroKerry has a spectacular aura about
I haven't had a front plate for the 996TT or my C4 before that - about seven years total. I was pulled over once, by a rookie, and given a warning. Just lucky, I guess.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:46 PM
PyroKerry has a spectacular aura aboutPyroKerry has a spectacular aura about
Funny story: I was talking to an Illinois State trooper, asking him his take on cars without front plates. His response? "Let me guess - you drive an Audi or a Porsche"

Old 11-05-2009, 04:30 PM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
I don't think the plate kills the look of the car, but I think you miss out on that smooth, sexy flowing bumper when you have a plate in the middle.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:42 PM
g911cab is infamous around these parts
I got the JCS and it is working ok. It loosened a bit after one drive, but I tightened it and so far so good.

I'm happy that 911s have the front tow hook option to allow an easy plate with no drilling. I took a quick look at a Cayman and I didn't see a tow hook cover.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:17 PM
PHDX2 is infamous around these partsPHDX2 is infamous around these parts
Altec Products, Inc. (easily found via Google) makes a retractable mount for front license plates called the Show N Go. Ground clearance would probably be an issue, but it's a neat idea.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:37 PM
schwartzwest is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I went two years without a front plate, and then got 2 tickets in 15 minutes. I had a front plate on the next day, it was painful to watch them drill into my perfect front bumper
Good to know North Van! My new C2S Cab has no front license plate and although I love the look of the clean lines I am too parnoid about being stopped for no other reason.

I have purchased a low profile mount from Skene Design. The main attraction for me was that I can mount the front plate lower to preserve the lines of the front bumper. Yes, you still have to drill into the front bumper. But, it is from the underside so it can be more easily and inconspicuously "plugged" later.

I know it's not a Porsche, but you can get the idea: http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/plate.htm

I haven't installed it yet as my Porsche is now resting comfortably in the garage for the winter (hibernating?) but I plan to soon, and will try and take some pics.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:39 PM
xbar is infamous around these parts
+1 for JCS. same product as others for half the price. Although...I took mine off after a day...

Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
DPorcella@sbcgl is infamous around these parts
My personal theory: if you're speeding anyway, the lack of a front plate just might be the thing that pushes the officer into pulling you over, if he's having a day.

Maybe I'm paranoid, maybe not. I still drive around with the tow-hook holder all mounted up with the plate and handy in the trunk.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:38 AM
frank is infamous around these parts
My solution was a motorized retractable plate holder from Swift Motorsports. I used it on my '93 Supra TT and it worked great. Might need some modification to underside of front bumber but well worth it.
$150 for the electronic and like $60 for the manual one.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:04 PM
mrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond repute
They must be cracking down in Northern California... I just got pulled over for not having rear plates (car is new, plates haven't arrived yet)!

No issues of course, but what an annoying reason to be pulled over.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:33 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mrdonut
They must be cracking down in Northern California... I just got pulled over for not having rear plates (car is new, plates haven't arrived yet)!

No issues of course, but what an annoying reason to be pulled over.
Where did this happen?

I just ordered a plate mount from JCS.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:35 PM
mrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
Where did this happen?

I just ordered a plate mount from JCS.
101N around Willow Rd (near Carlsen Porsche)

Old 11-07-2009, 01:37 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
No kidding. They surely have a lot of time in their hands.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:37 PM
He even went to the trouble of pulling the window sticker off to check it and run my license... must have nothing better to do.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:51 AM
conscom is infamous around these parts
I'm new here. Who's JCS? I'm just taking delivery of my new ride, a '07 997 C2S and will need a front bracket. The Skene Design looks great at cost of $50.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front Number Plate