997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Front Number Plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:28 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by conscom
I'm new here. Who's JCS? I'm just taking delivery of my new ride, a '07 997 C2S and will need a front bracket. The Skene Design looks great at cost of $50.

JCS is a forum member and he manufactures a great tow hook mounting plate. It is well done and it is light. It costs $37.50 shipped. I prefer it to the others because it is light. Contact Rolf at stumberger_r@msn.com.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:27 PM
conscom is infamous around these parts
Cool

Originally Posted by adias
JCS is a forum member and he manufactures a great tow hook mounting plate. It is well done and it is light. It costs $37.50 shipped. I prefer it to the others because it is light. Contact Rolf at stumberger_r@msn.com.
Thx adias.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:40 AM
lakhoon is infamous around these parts
Awesome design and so SIMPLE!! Looks good and no need for drilling! Highly recommend!

Old 12-24-2009, 11:55 AM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
I too recently got pulled over for having no front plate...thank god I turned off my shifter/jammer....

after debating the tow hook option vs Skene, I went Skene as it looked more attractive to me...I can say the Skene wont work on 997 body...just on undersurface of front bumper there is 1 inch of flat area before turning into slant of 45 degrees and then it flattens out again(top part of air scoop)...there isnt a good place to drill the holes to mount this kit....best place would be on under surface of spolier but you would lose too much ground clearance if you did this.

Im going to order the tow hook kit although not excited about the off centered look.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:04 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by mact3333
I too recently got pulled over for having no front plate...thank god I turned off my shifter/jammer....

after debating the tow hook option vs Skene, I went Skene as it looked more attractive to me...I can say the Skene wont work on 997 body...just on undersurface of front bumper there is 1 inch of flat area before turning into slant of 45 degrees and then it flattens out again(top part of air scoop)...there isnt a good place to drill the holes to mount this kit....best place would be on under surface of spolier but you would lose too much ground clearance if you did this.

Im going to order the tow hook kit although not excited about the off centered look.
IT IS possible to install the Skene Design 1.5" short bracket onto my 2007 997. I just completed the installation with a slight modification. I cut the back end of the mounting bracket at an angle in order to mount on the underside of the bumper with less than 1/2" portruding out the front. To accommodate the clear plate cover, I bought 3/4" x 32 S/S bolts and cut them flush (going to do the bottom ones as I scraped my hand washing).
This arrangement looks a lot better than right on the face of the bumper, IMHO. PM me if anyone needs more details.

Attached Images      

Last edited by conscom; 12-25-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:33 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Here is my write up of what I did using earth magnets!
No holes and CENTERED on the bumper..........

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...te-holder.html

I managed to do a lot of high speed tests with this and NO problems...not even a mark on the paint!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 12-25-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:23 AM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
IT IS possible to install the Skene Design 1.5" short bracket onto my 2007 997. I just completed the installation with a slight modification. I cut the back end of the mounting bracket at an angle in order to mount on the underside of the bumper with less than 1/2" portruding out the front. To accommodate the clear plate cover, I bought 3/4" x 32 S/S bolts and cut them flush (going to do the bottom ones as I scraped my hand washing).
This arrangement looks a lot better than right on the face of the bumper, IMHO. PM me if anyone needs more details.
crap, I just sent back the Skene and ordered the tow hook mount yesterday......why didnt you post on Christmas eve!...its not like you were busy or anything....

Old 12-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Cool

AS a matter of fact, I was on 6speedonline Christmas eve but I guess it ran into Christmas day by the time I responded. Sorry, mate.
But hope you still had a great Christmas with family, food and cheer.
BTW, i also PM'd you.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:10 AM
xbar is infamous around these parts
I was never a fan of this design due to the fact that you have to drill holes on the bumper when the whole point of these mounts is to avoid doing that.

It looks like you already have the factory mount holes (with bumper plugs). Why not just use that if it's already been drilled?

Old 12-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by xbar
I was never a fan of this design due to the fact that you have to drill holes on the bumper when the whole point of these mounts is to avoid doing that.

It looks like you already have the factory mount holes (with bumper plugs). Why not just use that if it's already been drilled?
When I received the car, there were only 2 small holes about 1/8" diameter spaced 9" apart. Our license plate mounting holes have 7" C-C spacing. Also I wanted it mounted lower for better aesthetics (IMHO). Anyway, the 2 small mounting holes I had to drill are underneath and out of sight. Also the small screw hole caps painted to code are very unobtrusive (the tow hook cover cap is more unsightly).

Old 12-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by xbar

When I received the car, there were only 2 small holes about 1/8" diameter spaced 9" apart. Our license plate mounting holes have 7" C-C spacing (look at the last pic in my earlier reply). Also I wanted it mounted lower and at an angle for better aesthetics (IMHO). Anyway, the 2 small mounting holes I had to drill are underneath and out of sight. Also the small screw hole caps painted to code are very unobtrusive (the tow hook cover cap is more unsightly).

Old 12-28-2009, 03:45 PM
djlod is infamous around these parts
If you want to mount your front licence plate from the tow hook go with Rolf Stumberger.
Quality product.
He's legit.
stumberger_r@msn.com.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:37 PM
xbar is infamous around these parts
When I received the car, there were only 2 small holes about 1/8" diameter spaced 9" apart. Our license plate mounting holes have 7" C-C spacing (look at the last pic in my earlier reply). Also I wanted it mounted lower and at an angle for better aesthetics (IMHO). Anyway, the 2 small mounting holes I had to drill are underneath and out of sight. Also the small screw hole caps painted to code are very unobtrusive (the tow hook cover cap is more unsightly).
bummer.
fwiw, i too have the tow hook from stumberger = JCS.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:01 PM
lakhoon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aintpatricksday
+1 for the tow hook adapter. I don't like getting pulled over for no reason, and it doesn't detract from MY enjoyment of the car in any way. Biggest negative is it is a pain to wash around it.
So you don't take it off when you wash? Wouldn't water be a bad thing to go into the tow hook area? Just concern with the area around here with all the snow, ice, and rain causing corrosion from salt.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Cool

That's why I prefer the Skene Design bracket and it preserves the lines of the bumper. IMHO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front Number Plate