997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Front Number Plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:41 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by conscom
That's why I prefer the Skene Design bracket and it preserves the lines of the bumper. IMHO.
Jerry Skene is a class act...I sent back my Skene bracket cause it wouldnt work and I told him to look at this thread(ie-your pics)...he is modifying my bracket by doing what you did and sending it back to me at no charge(not even shipping)....

I just got the towhook holder in mail too...

If I knew how to post a pic on here I might even take some pics and post when Im done.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:41 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mact3333
Jerry Skene is a class act...I sent back my Skene bracket cause it wouldnt work and I told him to look at this thread(ie-your pics)...he is modifying my bracket by doing what you did and sending it back to me at no charge(not even shipping)....

I just got the towhook holder in mail too...

If I knew how to post a pic on here I might even take some pics and post when Im done.

If you are willing to drill the front bumper go ahead... And then you choose between a vertical and a slanted look without an easy removal option ?!?

If I'm forced to mount the front plate the JCS solution with its flexible positioning is much preferred.

Last edited by adias; 12-31-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:56 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
If you are willing to drill the front bumper go ahead... And then you choose between a vertical and a slanted look without an easy removal option ?!?

If I'm forced to mount the front plate the JCS solution with its flexible positioning is much preferred.
Damn. I've been driving an NSX for ten years with no front plate. Now I feel jinxed. Any day now, someone with no real work to do is going to pull me over for not having that plate mounted.

I've seen pictures of the Skene now. Can someone let me see what the JCS towhook version looks like when it's installed? That way, I can buy one of them, put it in the garage and break the jinx. Having bought the mount I'll probably go another ten years with no attention.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:39 AM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light

Personally, I would rather drill 2 small holes on underside of bumper which isnt visible unless you were on the ground looking up then the tow hook option which looks odd/unattractive being off centered by a foot...but its all about choice and Im glad we have choices....

Old 12-31-2009, 11:40 AM
conscom is infamous around these parts
Cool

Originally Posted by mact3333
Personally, I would rather drill 2 small holes on underside of bumper which isnt visible unless you were on the ground looking up then the tow hook option which looks odd/unattractive being off centered by a foot...but its all about choice and Im glad we have choices....
I agree. If bracket removed, you can always plug them with screw caps (Home Depot) painted to body colour. Mac, you're absolutely right, Jerry Skene is a class act with great customer support. And his bracket looks professional. (I'm in the process of fabricating a grill mounted bracket for my Ferrari F355 - no drilling and lic. plate mounted below grill).

Old 12-31-2009, 11:53 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by simsgw
... Can someone let me see what the JCS towhook version looks like when it's installed? That way, I can buy one of them, put it in the garage and break the jinx. Having bought the mount I'll probably go another ten years with no attention.
Gary please see this THREAD.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Cool

Gary please see this THREAD.
I agree with the others - it's a matter of aesthetic choice and not of product quality. Also correct to say that keeping the plate and bracket in the trunk is not going to save you a fine if stopped. Cost here in British Columbia is $109. Since it's my DD for now, I've decided to have it mounted all the time.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Fast997turbo is infamous around these parts
I just wish we had euro shaped plates!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Cool

I wish we didn't have to mount a plate in front at all. Spoils the look of any car with aesthetic beauty!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Deepcove Frog is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I went two years without a front plate, and then got 2 tickets in 15 minutes. I had a front plate on the next day, it was painful to watch them drill into my perfect front bumper

I was going to test my luck when pulling out from Jame's garage.But guess what,the minute I got on the highway to Lonsdale,a cruiser pulled me over,in which the officer said he was going back to station,luckily he gave a warning ticket instead of monetary one.But have to show RCMP my front plate in 3 days,Sxxt!!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 PM
That's a given here in BC. They're always on the lookout for missing front plates especially exotics. Gotta fill the coffer, you know. That's why I caved in and bought a bracket from Jerry Skene - no drilling the front of the bumper.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:36 PM
ncamillo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by conscom
IT IS possible to install the Skene Design 1.5" short bracket onto my 2007 997. I just completed the installation with a slight modification. I cut the back end of the mounting bracket at an angle in order to mount on the underside of the bumper with less than 1/2" portruding out the front. To accommodate the clear plate cover, I bought 3/4" x 32 S/S bolts and cut them flush (going to do the bottom ones as I scraped my hand washing).
This arrangement looks a lot better than right on the face of the bumper, IMHO. PM me if anyone needs more details.
Thanks for the info consom. I noticed you modified the short bracket from Skene. Is the bracket you modified their "extra short" bracket that's currently listed for the 997 on their website?

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/Choose.shtml

Or is this "extra short" bracket truly made for the 997 models and thus need no modification? Thanks for the help

Old 02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Sylvester1346
Firstly, i want to say that placing a number plate on the front of your 2008 911 C2S is just sacrilege a point not lost on Porsche i think. On that note has anyone noticed that Porsche have purposely designed the front wing to not allow a plate to fit. The bracket supplied by the porsche dealership doesn't fit (size) and even if it did it would need longer screws than provided for it to be fixed. I just got a ticket for not having a plate - $100 well spent if you ask me. Am i missing something when it comes to mounting the plate?

Cheers
I think if you asked Porsche, they would tell you to mount the plate and stop obsessing about such a silly little thing. All cars in Europe have 2 plates on them.. a 1-plate situation is a spotty US issue at best.

The plate bracket should match the front bumper.

What is this 'front wing' you speak of? As far as I know, there is no wing on the front of the car.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:46 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by ncamillo
Thanks for the info consom. I noticed you modified the short bracket from Skene. Is the bracket you modified their "extra short" bracket that's currently listed for the 997 on their website?

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/Choose.shtml

Or is this "extra short" bracket truly made for the 997 models and thus need no modification? Thanks for the help
Sounds like they are trying to accommodate the 997 Porsche. However, the Extra Short .5" bkt may be too short. So my best advice is to measure the bkt. length required (which in my case was more than .5") and then choose the bkt. length. Better too longer than too short! Aluminum is easy to cut. Hope I make sense. I can PM you some photos if you wish. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by Deepcove Frog
I was going to test my luck when pulling out from Jame's garage.But guess what,the minute I got on the highway to Lonsdale,a cruiser pulled me over,in which the officer said he was going back to station,luckily he gave a warning ticket instead of monetary one.But have to show RCMP my front plate in 3 days,Sxxt!!
Same here. That's why I decided to mount the front plate to avoid any more hassles. They only have eyes for exotics! For my F355, I scanned the plate, laminated it and stuck it on the bumper with double sided tape. No more flag downs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front Number Plate