997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT3 RS Front bumper cover vent on stock carrera anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
also... the distances on the ridge (top of the bumper to the bottom of the support system) closer to the back of the car is 25mm and the front is 20mm. the little lip on the back ridge is 5mm.

Last edited by Daytonaviolet; 12-20-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:03 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
great pics daytonaviolet!

just wondering, and perhaps slightly off topic (I apologize)... but how difficult is it to put the smiley on a factory aerokit bumper?

Old 12-24-2008, 01:02 PM
if it were me, i would just go buy the GT3 bumper but, as you can see from the pics, cutting out the 997 or aerokit bumper is not the issue. the issue is how do you support that area of the bumper once its been cut. perhaps a aluminum, fiberglass or even epoxy support can be made.

Originally Posted by strife_wy
great pics daytonaviolet!

just wondering, and perhaps slightly off topic (I apologize)... but how difficult is it to put the smiley on a factory aerokit bumper?

Old 12-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Many thanks...

Originally Posted by Daytonaviolet
also... the distances on the ridge (top of the bumper to the bottom of the support system) closer to the back of the car is 25mm and the front is 20mm. the little lip on the back ridge is 5mm.

Thanks so much on behalf of a lot of folks who are glad to see the secret revealed. This helps a great deal.

However, I'm not sure what you are describing in the above measurements.

the distance on the ridge ... closer to the back of the car is 25mm ( The distance from where to where?)

Old 12-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Minok
Thanks so much on behalf of a lot of folks who are glad to see the secret revealed. This helps a great deal.

However, I'm not sure what you are describing in the above measurements.

the distance on the ridge ... closer to the back of the car is 25mm ( The distance from where to where?)
sorry for the crude drawings these are the measurements taken from the inside of the smiley area. once you cut out that area and have your smiley in hand, you'll get a better measurement idea.

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the clarification on the dimensions. Much appreciated.

This picture makes it clear, the support onto which the part is screwed down, and which provides rigidity to the bumper cover, given the opening in it, is a seperate part that is attached to the bumper. I'm probably correct in assuming, that this is not a separate part one can order from Porsche.. because if it were, it would make retrofitting soooo easy... just fusing the support frame to the cover with the right kind of 'welding' glue.

But manufacturing something that will work as well... and can be glued up - fused - to the bottom of the bumper cover, is quite possible. Ideally, you would want it to be of the same material as the bumper cover.. that way you could use cement (sorta like the PVC cement for pipes fuses things together).

So the question now is, what is the bumper made out of, where can I get some sheets of that material to build up a frame with, and what type of cement would I use...

(I don't want the GT3 bumper cover because I prefer the look of the original covers leading edge and below, and don't want the loss of ground clearance)

Another alternative is to look for a crashed GT3 whose bumper cover can be scavenged.

Last edited by Minok; 12-24-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:36 PM
great point i think the best thing to do is find a doner gt3 bumper. looks like you can just seperate this from the bumper and either use it for your project or perhaps make a mold of it.

there has to be a damaged gt3 bumper out there which you can take this from.

Originally Posted by Minok
Thanks for the clarification on the dimensions. Much appreciated.

This picture makes it clear, the support onto which the part is screwed down, and which provides rigidity to the bumper cover, given the opening in it, is a seperate part that is attached to the bumper. I'm probably correct in assuming, that this is not a separate part one can order from Porsche.. because if it were, it would make retrofitting soooo easy... just fusing the support frame to the cover with the right kind of 'welding' glue.

But manufacturing something that will work as well... and can be glued up - fused - to the bottom of the bumper cover, is quite possible. Ideally, you would want it to be of the same material as the bumper cover.. that way you could use cement (sorta like the PVC cement for pipes fuses things together).

So the question now is, what is the bumper made out of, where can I get some sheets of that material to build up a frame with, and what type of cement would I use...

(I don't want the GT3 bumper cover because I prefer the look of the original covers leading edge and below, and don't want the loss of ground clearance)

Another alternative is to look for a crashed GT3 whose bumper cover can be scavenged.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Daytonaviolet
great point i think the best thing to do is find a doner gt3 bumper. looks like you can just seperate this from the bumper and either use it for your project or perhaps make a mold of it.

there has to be a damaged gt3 bumper out there which you can take this from.

One would think.

If nothing else, someone who can scavenge the assembly from a GT3 bumper, .. there's a business opportunity there ... I would almost certainly think that such a frame could pay for itself with all of the 99x and Cayman owners who could make use of such a frame.

Now if I could only find a Porsche graveyard here in the Seattle area.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Mikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to behold
Is there an aero or down force improvement to this upgrade? Or is this just a cosmetic GT3 look mod?

Old 05-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
It's just cosmetic, unless you're also planning on adding a third radiator. Then it hugely improves airflow through that part. At least with the GT3 bumper.

Old 02-13-2022, 08:15 AM
BusDriverUK is infamous around these parts
Update thread......

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of fitting an Aerokit bumper on a 997.1. I decided to fit a smile grill, wish I hadn't to be honest a real PITA.
I did find this part number 997 575 567 92 which marked as a retaining frame, its about $200 so without seeing it before paying.......
If this is not a solution, finding a smashed one and either mold it or as things have moved on scan it and 3d print it.
Here's hoping someone will step up.
Cheers