997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sticking Clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Registered PM
Sylvester1346 is infamous around these parts
Sticking Clutch

I have a 3 month old 2008 997 C2S and i was wandering if any of you out there has ever had any experince of a sticking clutch. To give you an example if i am attempting to achieve a "brisk" take off from the lights and so am generous with the revs, I release the clutch in quick fashion i sometimes find that the actual pedal sticks (not fully releasing) almost as if acting as a safety measure to ensure all of the revs aren't put down. The clutch will eventually fully release but only once the revs die down. Is this a sticking clutch or are Porsche trying to hinder my ability to leave the lights swiftly? I can't these cares have slipper clutches on them.... as you can tell i am no mechanic!!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:43 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sylvester1346
I have a 3 month old 2008 997 C2S and i was wandering if any of you out there has ever had any experince of a sticking clutch. To give you an example if i am attempting to achieve a "brisk" take off from the lights and so am generous with the revs, I release the clutch in quick fashion i sometimes find that the actual pedal sticks (not fully releasing) almost as if acting as a safety measure to ensure all of the revs aren't put down. The clutch will eventually fully release but only once the revs die down. Is this a sticking clutch or are Porsche trying to hinder my ability to leave the lights swiftly? I can't these cares have slipper clutches on them.... as you can tell i am no mechanic!!!!
What frequency does this happen? And are you referring to the actual pedal staying at/near the floor?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Registered PM
Sylvester1346 is infamous around these parts
It is the actual pedal that sticks..... the pedal does not return to the standard position.....it has been a while since i have driven it hard so i am going to take it out this weekend and see if i can recreate the issue before calling Porsche....

Old 11-06-2008, 06:04 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
There is a possibility the slave cylinder has a slow fluid leak, causing it to stick down every once in a while.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:05 PM
AJ997S is infamous around these parts
Happened to me the first day I launched my car from a dead stop really hard. Never happened since. I too wanna know what that's all about. Scared the hell outta me. It stayed to the floor or an fraction off being fully depressed. Very strange....

Old 11-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Marky522 is infamous around these parts
IF it feels like its haning up about an inch from the top, it isnt fully bled. Take it in and have the dealer bleed the clutch.

Mark

Old 11-11-2008, 09:31 AM
RV2
RV2 is infamous around these parts
I've experienced this problem as well. Took delivery of my 08 C2S in July. Finally autocrossed it at a PCA event in October with about 3000 miles on it. First run of the day when I launched, the clutch slipped (revs spun up quickly and I immediately grabbed next gear), clutch slipped again in second gear and peddle only came back up about 1/3 of full travel. It wasn't until I backed right out and switched to third that the pedal came back up. I completed the run without further trouble. Next two runs immediately thereafter were also fine, although I launched pretty soft.

A fellow instructor took it out a few hours later when my run group was back out. The same thing (pedal staying low) happened to him on his first run in my car. The two remaining runs were fine with me driving. Took the car into the dealer -- they weren't able to recreate the problem, but they didn't really want to abuse my car to make it fail either. After consulting Porsche Tech, they recommended replacing the slave cylinder. Not a definitive diagnosis on their part, but their best guess based on the info I provided. They commented that bleeding the hydraulics as part of the slave cylinder change might also fix the problem.

Haven't autocrossed since, but have tried a few reasonably hard launches (enough to invoke axle tramp) and all seems good.

Last point, a fellow with a 987S at the autocross commented that he'd had similar problems at a track event, but in his case the clutch pedal stayed right on the floor and he had to physically pull it back up in order to be able to drive it home. His fix was a slave cylinder. According to him this is not an uncommon problem with the Boxsters.

Good luck getting yours fixed -- let us know what it turns out to be...

Ron

Old 11-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Nitro911s is infamous around these parts
Same thing happens to my 08 911s. When i launch hard ,around 4k rpms and ride the clutch, the pedal gets stuck and all i smell is burning clutch.. Also happens to a my friends bmw. The clutch cannot grab the gears when the rpms are that high, especially when releasing the clutch gently. I usually launch at around 3k rpms and let the clutch out faster and i usually get good launches, no tire spin or bogging, just a jolt off the line..My fastest 0-60 were achieved with this method.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Marky522 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RV2
Last point, a fellow with a 987S at the autocross commented that he'd had similar problems at a track event, but in his case the clutch pedal stayed right on the floor and he had to physically pull it back up in order to be able to drive it home. His fix was a slave cylinder. According to him this is not an uncommon problem with the Boxsters.

Ron
On some 987's there was a recall w802 i believe that had the slave cyl replaced. I actually pulled one out to find the boot FULL ob brake fluid.

Mark