997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche PDK can turn off front-wheel-drive in 997-4(S)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:26 AM
eitanshay is infamous around these parts
As someone who live in Chicago, I would love a car that can be AWD when it snows, and RWD the rest of the time.
While I understand its a compromise, it does make this car more practical for me.
I also wonder if the MPG improves while disengaging the AWD.
too bad there isnt a special button for a non-PDK 911 C4.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:46 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vladcanada
is that a benz gearbox again, cuz it sounds like it, 3 modes, 7 speed.... ???
No sir. Not at all. It's closest to the Audi DSG. Nothing at all like the Benz tranny.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:53 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Silentrun
From what I understand of the Porsche AWD system, there is no more than 7% of power to the front drive under normal circumstances. When the computer determines that more power is needed to the front drive, it's no more than 40% of available power. It's not 4wd like an off-road vehicle with locking hubs/difs. Each wheel is still capable of turning at independant speeds which is very required when going around a corner.

The Porsche AWD system is approx. 150lbs more than 2wd system. Do the different cars require different techniques...probably and depends on driver. Not liking it doesn't mean someone with skill can't outrun you...just my .o2
Right. You don't feel it at all when just 7% is to the front. It's that transition. There is a moment when the cause (the slippage) has no remedy (putting more power to the front wheels), then the remedy comes in the next moment. You FEEL this remedy come in. That's all I'm saying. It catches me off guard. I'd rather rotate the rear. However, the front is trying now to do its thing while I'm trying to take in all the information that it just gave me BEFORE the remedy came. I hope I'm not sounding insane here. I am aware that each wheel can spin at different speeds, and that really has nothing to do with any of my comments or opinions. Actually, if it were simply mechanical, it would be easier to learn and predict (not that I at all think that that is how it should be... but the 993T feels sweeter in my book). The two different cars DO require different techniques, yes. It is my opinion that the technique for the RWD car is more involving, as is feel. Whereas the AWD car thinks faster than I do and does its thing, which is less involving to the driver. With the torque transferring to the front wheels in a 'needed' situation, steering feel MUST either be reduced or impaired. And with your last comment, I'm not even trying to say which is faster, just my opinion of what is 'better' in the overall driver's experience.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Silentrun is infamous around these parts
Take a look at the Stig...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ouWGrr0f54

Guys, I love intense conversation about cars...have to fly to chicago now...talk to ya'll later.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah man. I love it too.

I also love Top Gear. I watched that not too long ago. It cuts off 'the Stig says' in the last second. He liked the 2wd car more. Additionally and again, I'm not trying to say what's faster, but which is better for driver enjoyment and involvement.

The turbo I just drove was very fast... just not fun.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:40 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
That's the beauty of it. AWD on the street, 2WD on the track. Win win.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by deputydog95
That's the beauty of it. AWD on the street, 2WD on the track. Win win.
I do think it's a beautiful thing.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by blakt out
No sir. Not at all. It's closest to the Audi DSG. Nothing at all like the Benz tranny.
Porsche did use older mercedes auto tranny right?

CHeck out SL63 gearbox, I mean PDK sounds just like benzes box, so similar and with the same launch control? Just a thought.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:48 AM
hill6666 is infamous around these parts
What is blakt out going on about?

This thread is about turning the 4wd off.

The disadvantages of the active 4wd system when it comes to the fun factor are well known by most people.

This thread is about turning off the front wheel drive interference.

I agree with deputydog95. It's a win, win!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:54 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
C4 vs C2: Factory Pilot Walter Rohrl says....

Some time ago there was an interview with Walter Rohrl in the UK mag.GT Porsche. http://www.gtpurelyporsche.com/pastissue.asp?issueID=5

FWIW, in the interview, he stated that his daily all-around choice would be a C4S due to balance of handling and power in all conditions.......check out the article if you have a chance.........

On another note, I would bet that most people would NOT be able to tell the 150 pound weight difference between a C4 and a C2.

I have found that the C4 has a more solid and less flighty feel than the C2. Velcro like grip in all conditions as well.

The new C4S AWD system and power distribution engineering truly seems to be the best of both worlds.....My '07 C4S has been awesome in the rainy NorCal winters and awesome at Laguna Seca as well..........

Old 11-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by hill6666
What is blakt out going on about?

This thread is about turning the 4wd off.

The disadvantages of the active 4wd system when it comes to the fun factor are well known by most people.

This thread is about turning off the front wheel drive interference.

I agree with deputydog95. It's a win, win!
I never intended it to be off topic.

I also said that it is 'a beautiful thing' that you can put it to rwd only. But it was coming into the thread, essentially, that there's not any advantage of rwd anyway. It was said that the steering feel is better in the awd, that the weight distribution is better with awd, etc.

I was simply trying to say that it IS a beautiful thing to be able to put it to the rear only, because you CAN get better feel. Again, this is on topic, as it means that turning off the front wheels IS indeed a benefit.

Sorry that you couldn't follow. I'm sure that was my bad...

Old 11-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by unclejosh
Some time ago there was an interview with Walter Rohrl in the UK mag.GT Porsche. http://www.gtpurelyporsche.com/pastissue.asp?issueID=5

FWIW, in the interview, he stated that his daily all-around choice would be a C4S due to balance of handling and power in all conditions.......check out the article if you have a chance.........

On another note, I would bet that most people would NOT be able to tell the 150 pound weight difference between a C4 and a C2.

I have found that the C4 has a more solid and less flighty feel than the C2. Velcro like grip in all conditions as well.

The new C4S AWD system and power distribution engineering truly seems to be the best of both worlds.....My '07 C4S has been awesome in the rainy NorCal winters and awesome at Laguna Seca as well..........
Sweet. I'll go read it now.

Walter Rohrl is the man, so I'm going to say that if I've disagreed with him, I'm just plain wrong.

Reading...

EDIT: Can't see the issue. I'll see if I can find it somewhere else.

Last edited by blakt out; 11-09-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:29 AM
TexasFly is infamous around these parts
While we are on the subject - it is my understanding that the 997 4-wheel drive uses a viscous coupling which requires a "slip" of the rear wheels relative to the front before it will transfer power to the front wheels. The new 997.2 uses the computer-controlled, non-viscous system found in the current Turbos which do not require the relative "slip" before it transfers power to the front. So does that mean that the 997s (not 997.2) is not a "4-wheel" drive system unless there is a relative slip between front & rear?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
This is a very interesting point. I didn't know this. All I know is that I don't like how the 997TT acts. That's where most of my criticisms come from.