997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

plastic crap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 09:24 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Thumbs down plastic crap

ok, so I try to install my battery tender today. WTF is with the cheap plastic cover. I could get better precision of plastic crap on a Korean car. This cover is so flimsy, its a joke. If you look at it incorrectly it pops out of leading edges. I guess I was expecting more quality

Old 11-16-2008, 09:56 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
i know what you mean it's pretty lame

Old 11-16-2008, 10:23 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have the AWE front strut brace, it runs across the top of the battery. It is tough to get it to fit properly, but it does work.

I think this is a cheap system, but it may be this way to save some weight.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 AM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
Plastic is cheep and light. I’m sure if it really gets your goat so bad, there is probably someone out there that offers a carbon replacement. Im confused as to what Korean cars offer comparable parts to a Porsche?

Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I have the AWE front strut brace, it runs across the top of the battery. It is tough to get it to fit properly, but it does work.

I think this is a cheap system, but it may be this way to save some weight.
Maybe carbon fiber would work better Someone listening? What do u want 4 100k.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
Plastic is cheep and light. I’m sure if it really gets your goat so bad, there is probably someone out there that offers a carbon replacement. Im confused as to what Korean cars offer comparable parts to a Porsche?
Must have been replying when u were. I am just saying that u can get some fits better on less expensive cars. Nothing against them, but i would expect a porsche to be better quality. I own a Korean car and use it as a winter rat

Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 AM
RandomName is infamous around these parts
work on the car a bit more and you'll fit cheap plastic parts everywhere. behind front bumper, behind your center console, etc..

Old 11-16-2008, 11:14 AM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
I have worked on these cars before and have seen the plastic. The thing that really leaves me wondering is when I see plastic piping on and around the engine. The battery thing is sort of trivial, but when you have hoses that can crack and require you to rip out the engine, now that is ridiculous. I guess it just comes down to would you either have cheep plastic bits in those cretin places, or a car that weighed 200lbs more?

Old 11-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
I have worked on these cars before and have seen the plastic. The thing that really leaves me wondering is when I see plastic piping on and around the engine. The battery thing is sort of trivial, but when you have hoses that can crack and require you to rip out the engine, now that is ridiculous. I guess it just comes down to would you either have cheep plastic bits in those cretin places, or a car that weighed 200lbs more?
agreed.....I just think to pick up a couple of ounces for something more sturdy, I am willing. Like I said , how about carbon fiber. Or even replace some metal with titanium if possible. I think if someone offered trick parts in titanium people would buy them. Being involved in SCCA racing about 10 years ago, I know alot of racers replaced pieces with this metal to save weight. Maybe that would make the cars alot more $. Maybe I am just blabbing

Old 11-16-2008, 04:50 PM
ZOMG is infamous around these parts
can we see some pics

Old 11-16-2008, 04:56 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
agreed.....I just think to pick up a couple of ounces for something more sturdy, I am willing. Like I said , how about carbon fiber. Or even replace some metal with titanium if possible. I think if someone offered trick parts in titanium people would buy them. Being involved in SCCA racing about 10 years ago, I know alot of racers replaced pieces with this metal to save weight. Maybe that would make the cars alot more $. Maybe I am just blabbing
Be careful. Maybe Porsche will offer a carbon fiber upgrade option for $2500 extra. I do agree with you though. Slightly sturdier plastic would at least fit better without adding more than 1 or 2 pounds.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by ZOMG
can we see some pics

Of what? The winter Rat or the summer Hard on. Or the plastic crap

Old 11-17-2008, 06:48 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
ok, so I try to install my battery tender today. WTF is with the cheap plastic cover. I could get better precision of plastic crap on a Korean car. This cover is so flimsy, its a joke. If you look at it incorrectly it pops out of leading edges. I guess I was expecting more quality
Excuse my ignorance but .... I'm curious what battery tender needs to be 'installed'?
I have three Porsche tenders (2 dif models) ... and installation involves plugging into the cigarette lighter.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by GreggT
Excuse my ignorance but .... I'm curious what battery tender needs to be 'installed'?
I have three Porsche tenders (2 dif models) ... and installation involves plugging into the cigarette lighter.
old school with clamps on the terminals

Old 11-17-2008, 09:26 PM
aintpatricksday is infamous around these parts
I think he is talking about this:

I had to remove about 1/4" of the lip under the lid to get the wire through there but I didn't feel so bad since it is so crappy anyway. Nice to be able to get to the wire without having to get inside the car or under the hood.
PB

Last edited by aintpatricksday; 11-17-2008 at 09:29 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: plastic crap