997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Auto Club Speedway Roval - Fontana

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:24 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Auto Club Speedway Roval - Fontana

I will be going to Auto Club Speedway in Fontana next weekend and the track set up is the ROVAL (Infield course + half oval).

I have heard good and bad things about this set up.

GOOD: Its fast, its Fun!
BAD: Its FAST, its known to wreck many cars!

So I have heard the horror stories from 2 wrecked 997 GT3's to a fatal CGT crash (made adjustments since then).

I know a lot of you guy run this course and never have had an issue or crash.

Im excited for this track and a little intimidated (yes I'll admit it)

I will be running street tires (PS2's).

Im not interested in posting best lap, more about just having fun and driving my car how it was made to drive, FAST ON A TRACK!

ANY ADVICE FOR A FIRST TIMER ON THIS TRACK?

I'm a decent driver, Im not the best, but I'm definitely not the worst! But I know I still have a lot to learn!

Old 11-17-2008, 01:58 PM
surfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura aboutsurfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura about
Being very smooth (braking/steering/throttle) is my best advice to you. I've been to this track many times and can tell you that most the accidents happen at the beginning of the day when track/tire temps haven't come up yet.

Since you'll be on street tires, you won't be setting any track records. The infield is pretty simple, some hard braking areas and some double apex turns. Work your way up to speed on the banking. Start at holding close to 100 mph near the apron (bottom) of the banking. The faster cars/drivers will be passing you higher up the banking and you don't want to have to make someone change lines at 150 mph.

Work your way up the banking as you get faster. I've run there once on street tires and was very comfortable entering at 150 mph and holding 125+ mph around the banking, but my car is not stock (susp/aero mods). Because this track is much faster than most, try to keep in your mind to look as far down the track as possible.

Good luck, have fun!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:14 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Great advice.

Thanks. I want to get new tires before the event as mine are 50% right now.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:45 PM
otisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to behold
The transition from the banking (past turn 2) into the infield is rather abrupt, particularly if you are on the proper line for the next corner. If you "give up" the next corner, the transition can be taken at more of an angle, allowing you to come off the banking smoother (and faster).