997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help me spec a '09 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:59 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Le Chef
But you need to spec an alternative (aluminum, cf, alcantara, or wood) shifter and parking brake. Then you spec all exclusive in contrasting stitching and few $'s later you;re done.
True that is a loop hole around it but if you just want the e-brake standard leather stitched in a matching thread I do not believe Porsche will do it. That is weird and not paying attention to the details in my book. However the price Porsche charges for colored stiching is absolutly outragous anyway.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:40 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote=mdrums;2146795]True that is a loop hole around it but if you just want the e-brake standard leather stitched in a matching thread I do not believe Porsche will do it. That is weird and not paying attention to the details in my book. However the price Porsche charges for colored stiching is absolutly outragous anyway.[/quote]

Many of the options are expensive . I recall a small light for the rear seat was approx 400 dollars but sometimes these little things add up to a great experience . Since I bought my Turbo off the lot I wish now I had the chance to spec order certain things .

The more I spec this guys car the more I want one . If you recall it was between this car and the M3 and we needed the space but the 997.2 would get my vote if I would do this over .

Gt Silver
Black /Full leather / red stitching
Would have to think hard about Tubi Vs PSE .
Manual --Sport Shifter
Sports adaptive seats
Bose
Technological goodies .

Ok --I am really liking this car far more than my M3 --which I happen to like too but not like the P car . Why oh why did I read this thread?

Old 11-23-2008, 08:45 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
color

White is a practical color. It absorbs less heat from the sun and therefore would extend the life of a wax job. Because of the lower temperature the paint should last longer than other colors. White is also 2nd in popularity to silver.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:40 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EJ-997
White is a practical color. It absorbs less heat from the sun and therefore would extend the life of a wax job. Because of the lower temperature the paint should last longer than other colors. White is also 2nd in popularity to silver.
I heard in the last year that white had overtaken silver as the number one choice in new cars. Silver held the lead for 6 years apparently.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:03 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
My last Carrera S was white and I loved it. Sporty looking, and easy to keep clean.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:51 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Mine is Aqua Blue/ Black and I couldn't be happier. I think it is the nicest color available. Do get the XM radio but you can skip the Bose as the stock stereo sounds fine. Do get the audio interface (ipod ect). If I had it to do again I would have ponyed up the extra $400 for the sport seats and the color coordinated stitching around the floor mats.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by tromero
Mine is Aqua Blue/ Black and I couldn't be happier. I think it is the nicest color available. Do get the XM radio but you can skip the Bose as the stock stereo sounds fine. Do get the audio interface (ipod ect). If I had it to do again I would have ponyed up the extra $400 for the sport seats and the color coordinated stitching around the floor mats.
+1 on the stock stereo.

Also can the ipod hook up be fitted on a 09 if it did not come this way from the factory?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:26 AM
prodigue is infamous around these parts
[quote=yrralis1;2147521]
Originally Posted by mdrums
True that is a loop hole around it but if you just want the e-brake standard leather stitched in a matching thread I do not believe Porsche will do it. That is weird and not paying attention to the details in my book. However the price Porsche charges for colored stiching is absolutly outragous anyway.[/quote]

Many of the options are expensive . I recall a small light for the rear seat was approx 400 dollars but sometimes these little things add up to a great experience . Since I bought my Turbo off the lot I wish now I had the chance to spec order certain things .

The more I spec this guys car the more I want one . If you recall it was between this car and the M3 and we needed the space but the 997.2 would get my vote if I would do this over .

Gt Silver
Black /Full leather / red stitching
Would have to think hard about Tubi Vs PSE .
Manual --Sport Shifter
Sports adaptive seats
Bose
Technological goodies .

Ok --I am really liking this car far more than my M3 --which I happen to like too but not like the P car . Why oh why did I read this thread?
Actually you hit the jackpot. I am actually considering the new E92 M3 as well. You might ask why that over a Porsche? My true love belongs to the GT3 primarily because it was crafted from motorsport, and now that it's out of production, the M3 was developed with similar principles.

Sometimes I wonder whether would the 997.2 C2S satisfy my need of a car that traces its roots from the track.

Would be interested to hear your point of view..

Old 11-24-2008, 12:16 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote=prodigue;2147948]
Originally Posted by yrralis1

Actually you hit the jackpot. I am actually considering the new E92 M3 as well. You might ask why that over a Porsche? My true love belongs to the GT3 primarily because it was crafted from motorsport, and now that it's out of production, the M3 was developed with similar principles.

Sometimes I wonder whether would the 997.2 C2S satisfy my need of a car that traces its roots from the track.

I have a 997 Turbo and my girlfriend was driving a Mercedes E 350 . She saw how much fun factor there was with my car and I asked her if she would like to join me in having two enthusiast vehicles . I posted about it here and on another BMW forum as i wrestled with choosing the car with her needs in mind .

It came down between the E92 M3 Vs the 997S .She test drove both and loved each but it came down to one word --SPACE . WE needed seats for passengers . Even though I also have a Honda Si we needed a more confortable practical car . The E92 M3 was a great transitionary car coming from a Mercedes E class.

She LOVES the car . I am lukewarm with it . It's like a sophisticated muscle car and it is very nice but it just doesn't hit the same thrill; buttons for me .

I have had many BMW's . Most were for my ex wives but one or two for me and every time I ever bought one for myself I ran back to Porsche .

If you are driving this car daily , in a city, need space , and want to hedge parking dings (body is not flared like Porsche) --then the BMW is a good choice .

I prefer everything else about Porsche .

The M3 is the ideal car for her . My heart will always be with Porsche .

Old 11-24-2008, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=prodigue;2147948]
Originally Posted by yrralis1

Well to me a Porsche Carrera S and a M3 BMW are 2 different type of cars. Nothing wrong at all with a M3, I like them too but the Porsche is an all around faster sportier race bred car. I definitely feel the Porsche is more race bred with much more race heritage. My next track day is not until Dec 13th so I will write back then about it's track performance.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:52 PM
[quote=mdrums;2149062]
Originally Posted by prodigue

Well to me a Porsche Carrera S and a M3 BMW are 2 different type of cars. Nothing wrong at all with a M3, I like them too but the Porsche is an all around faster sportier race bred car. I definitely feel the Porsche is more race bred with much more race heritage. My next track day is not until Dec 13th so I will write back then about it's track performance.

The M3 is very fast and quite balanced but I agree that it is no Porsche . It might beat the 997.2 in the straight run . It can also fit passengers and drive in the city . It's practical . It's rational . I'm bored with it !!! I only have 7K miles too . I did have fun at first but the novelty erodes .

I listed some positives --here's the negatives and additional thoughts :
1) Burns gas .
2) Feels like a 3 series that decided to lift weights .
3) Sloppy gearbox -
4) BMW sales and service --not at all like Porsche
5) It does have free service but it also has awful run flat tires so to replace all four would cost as much as 30K worth of Porsche service .
6) I dislike Nav and i drive . I love the stereo though (lets call this a tie) .
7)Observation --I see many rowdy M3 pesonalities and they do enjoy the car. I tend to be more quiet and I relate more to the Porsche owners who I meet .

Old 11-25-2008, 08:37 AM
prodigue is infamous around these parts
[quote=yrralis1;2149090]
Originally Posted by mdrums

The M3 is very fast and quite balanced but I agree that it is no Porsche . It might beat the 997.2 in the straight run . It can also fit passengers and drive in the city . It's practical . It's rational . I'm bored with it !!! I only have 7K miles too . I did have fun at first but the novelty erodes .

I listed some positives --here's the negatives and additional thoughts :
1) Burns gas .
2) Feels like a 3 series that decided to lift weights .
3) Sloppy gearbox -
4) BMW sales and service --not at all like Porsche
5) It does have free service but it also has awful run flat tires so to replace all four would cost as much as 30K worth of Porsche service .
6) I dislike Nav and i drive . I love the stereo though (lets call this a tie) .
7)Observation --I see many rowdy M3 pesonalities and they do enjoy the car. I tend to be more quiet and I relate more to the Porsche owners who I meet .
Wow. This has extended my predicament. To be honest, asking you guys to spec a Carrera S for me was a waste of time. My heart will forever be with a GT3, but it being out of production makes the decision process so much more tricky.

I could source for a second hand GT3 but that involves more due diligence and nothing beats being the first owner with everything fresh out of the oven. So with this 'problem', I brought the E92 M3 into the equation. Reason being it, similar to the GT3, has a high revving normally aspirated engine, 6 speed manual, RWD and motorsport derived.

But of course it's no GT3, I was just wondering whether is the M3 worthy substitute to enjoy the same kind of characteristics that a GT3 would produce.

Just curious.. why were you bored of yours? Which part of it doesn't feel special? Please elaborate on this thanks!!

Old 11-26-2008, 05:12 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
options

You might want to add heated sport seats. They are great on a cold day.
Also sports crono will help when doing some spirited driving.
Navagiation if you have trouble looking at a map and shifting at the same time. I bought my 08C2S used so I got plenty of frivilous options that I would not buy given a choice. Options make each Porsche a "one of a kind".

Old 11-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Steve911S is infamous around these parts
I personally got Silver but I love the carrera white. If i did not buy mine from the lot i would have picked white.

I also had a chance to compare porsche white with mercedes white and the sl55 white paint looked pretty darn yellow next to a porsche white.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Tro
Tro is infamous around these parts
Wait for few more replies, and you gonna have a ''10 Carrera S'' ....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help me spec a '09 Carrera S