997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Blakt Out's modded 997 is about to move into it's third life...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah. Absolutely. The engine blew up. That term, "blew up" is used to describe just about anything that effs up an engine. We don't know exactly why it happened though. There is nothing at all pointing at the supercharger though, but many people will jump to this conclusion so I chose not to make a big deal of it. No one at VF has asked me to do this. But by what my mechanics and I can conclude, the charger isn't to blame. I loved my supercharger and would do it all again. We don't really know what is to blame. We have our speculations though. So, last week, I took the engine down to a race engine shop to have it diagnosed. I mean, it's totally not worth trying to have warrantied. Anyway, if the engine shop found that some aftermarket part failed and caused this to happen, I'd tell you all about it and I planned on doing just that.

However, the engine mechanic went onto Rennlist and told everyone that he had my engine and was looking forward to making it a 4.0 and all this other stuff... stuff totally illegal in the class that I intended to run this car in. So now, even though I wanted the mech to diagnose the issue so I could determine what to do and so I could shed some light on the issue, all these guys that I would be racing against now will have it in their heads that I might have cheated. I don't want that hanging over my head if/when I have success. So, I went back to the shop and picked up the engine the day after I dropped it off and took it in for a core for a new motor. So now, I don't know what did it and we'll never know. Because of this, I decided to spare the makers and sellers of superchargers, of plenums, of exhausts, of plenums, of lightweight flywheels, etc all the hassle that would undoubtedly come by people blaming it on whatever they THOUGHT did it. I can't stand that. So, here I'm telling all of it because I have decided that I was initially wrong. It CAN be done. I CAN tell you guys the situation without it hurting anyone who doesn't deserve to be hurt.

That's what's up. Now, I don't even know if I'm going to race this car or another. If I race another, I could've left the engine with that dude and we could have found out what happened. But at the time I wasn't considering buying another car and keeping this one for the street. I still don't know what I'm going to do, but we've already talked about that.

Is this answer good for you guys? I hope so. I've thought a lot about it and it's the realest answer I know to give you.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, I should say that the car still ran. It smoked at startup but cleaned up. It had a rhythmic click, and cylinder 2 didn't hold pressure well. But that could be a ring, a cylinder, a piston, a valve, a hydro-lifter... anything. And for each of these things, a number of things could be blamed. Heck, I still put a 2:14 down at VIR.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
Well damn that sucks but thanks for the thorough break down. My car is at GMG right now being fixed due to a mis-shift. Prob needs a new clutch. But like I always say ...turn those lemons into lemonade!

Last edited by gomez; 01-28-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by gomez
...turn those lemons into lemonade!
AMEN, dude. And you're in really good hands there too.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Hey everyone, docdan bought my Cobra carbon fiber seats... such awesome seats. Also, the Volks are sold, and the lobster claw Carrera S wheels are sold. It's been a good week in the "pay for the race car conversion" world!

Just two wings and a half cage left!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:25 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blakt out
It's been a good week in the "pay for the race car conversion"
Does this mean you are going forward with the conversion?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah man. I'm purt-dang sure.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:27 AM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
Let the madness begin! Make sure you takes lots of photos when it gets going! Can't wait.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:05 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Yeah man. I'm purt-dang sure.
I guess all the OEM parts will have some value, you might be able to do a full conversion for nothing by the time the dust clears. Can you give me some idea of the full costs, perhaps my cars future is similar to yours. Not that I am even considering it yet.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Another thing you may want to do is weigh differnt parts that you remove, it may help some of us reduce weight selectively.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:46 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
.... perhaps my cars future is similar to yours. Not that I am even considering it yet.
Yeah right Ed! By next year, your car will likely look like this:

Last edited by keninirvine; 02-16-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I guess all the OEM parts will have some value, you might be able to do a full conversion for nothing by the time the dust clears. Can you give me some idea of the full costs, perhaps my cars future is similar to yours. Not that I am even considering it yet.
I wish, bro.

If I didn't have any of the mods that I have now, the build would be around $100,000 give or take 10%. For me, I'm already 70% there. I just need the cage and safety equipment. My car is already a street version of the race cars. Now, we're taking weight out and making it safe.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Another thing you may want to do is weigh differnt parts that you remove, it may help some of us reduce weight selectively.
Yeah. That's a fun idea.

One thing that sucks is that they haven't released the weights for the different motors in GTB. I might just build the car for open classes if they make me weight too much. They want the 3.8s to be competitive with the 3.4 996s. It's crazy. So those guys will get to be around 2600lbs and I'll have to be at 3000.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Yeah right Ed! By next year, your car will likely look like this:
Close, but no sequential gearbox (for me at least). Here's a Synergy car.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:25 PM
I wish, bro.

If I didn't have any of the mods that I have now, the build would be around $100,000 give or take 10%. For me, I'm already 70% there. I just need the cage and safety equipment. My car is already a street version of the race cars. Now, we're taking weight out and making it safe.
Including the donor car? or on top of the donor? What mods did you keep?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blakt Out's modded 997 is about to move into it's third life...