997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DIY 997 Muffler Removal and Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:15 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
DIY 997 Muffler Removal and Install

Slapped a set of Tubi mufflers on Old Fraulein lat weekend. Here is a DIY I posted:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=23931

Regards,

Old 12-10-2008, 06:51 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
maybe is the tubi or the 997 but I just replaced my mufflers and I didn't have to take the whole car apart. Not the lights, not the bumper and not the heatshield...

Old 12-10-2008, 07:10 AM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
maybe is the tubi or the 997 but I just replaced my mufflers and I didn't have to take the whole car apart. Not the lights, not the bumper and not the heatshield...
I know, just one screw on the lower bumper strut to give some room and the 3 nuts on the muffler brackets.

Anyway, looks cool with the bumper off.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 AM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
Bumper cover removal, etc.

Guys,

It is very easy remove the bumper COVER and the heat shields and it takes maybe 15 min at the most. The screws are obvious -

IMHO, removal of the above allows easier access to the mufflers for removal and install.

For example, removal of the cover and shields gives you more room to work and much better lighting.

But as you state, it is not necessary.

Regards,

Old 12-14-2008, 07:52 AM
997 brake dust is infamous around these parts
can you post the pics on this site? thanks

Old 12-14-2008, 08:05 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I've done it on my car several times with ease by just removing the rear wheels. No need to take the bumper and lights off.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Great idea removing the bumper - does make everything easier to do, and gives a good chance for visual inspection and cleaning, should you want to. I've done it both ways, and actually prefer removing the bumper as you have really good access and lighting as indicated.

Nice work and thanks for posting.
Gundo

Old 12-15-2008, 09:06 PM
DIY Muffler Install for the 997

The following is a DIY Muffler Install for the 997. Very similar to the 996, but details might not be obvious or posted. Here I will key off what is known already about the 996, and will assume reasonable shade tree mechanic ability.

First, I refer to the fine threads:

Removal of the rear bumper cover and muffler:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=16935

996 sport exhaust and bypass pipe install:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...p=6&#entry6

Here are some items to consider and watch out for:

1) Find a safe stable way to jack up the car with fail-safe in case of jack failure.
2) Remove rear wheels - it is alot easier to remove and install the mufflers with them off
3) Remove rear bumper cover - Remove rear tail lights to access a lone hidden torx screw and see 1 torx in wheel well, in addition to the other obvious screws under the engine lid and under the car - it is alot easier to remove and install the mufflers with the cover off
4) Remove heat shields to access the mufflers - see my pics below, the fasteners are very obvious
5) To remove and re-install new mufflers, follow the above threads......
6) I used WD-40 soak on muffler fasteners prior to removal and fused aluminum anti-seize compond to lube up muffler joints for install.
7) I found that a ratchet with a pivoting head and just the socket was more useful and easier than a ratchet a universal joint and extension and socket.

Here are some pictures which may help:

Torx behind tail light for bumper cover removal:

Torx in wheel well for bumper cover removal:

Exhaust shield that needs to be removed:

Exhaust shield after removal:

Old 12-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
yes... i took my rear bumper off too when doing the bypass. gives you much more room

Old 12-16-2008, 11:09 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Took my rear bumper cover off, but did not need to remove the heat shields when I installed my headers and cats. Very easy to do.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Daytonaviolet
yes... i took my rear bumper off too when doing the bypass. gives you much more room
How much more room do you need? Everything is right there with the wheels off.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:52 AM
997 brake dust is infamous around these parts
thanks for posting the pics - not signed up on the renntech site!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by 997 brake dust
thanks for posting the pics - not signed up on the renntech site!
Renntech. Is a good site. You should sign up there. It's mostly a DIY help center. The moderator, Loren, knows all things Porsche.

Here's a link to the alternative muffler install on Renntech. This is the one I've used several times now. It doesn't not allow nearly as much room to work as with the bumper off and some of the bolts can be a bear to get to but it does keep it a one-man job and the bumper stays in place. I wish I had a lift

From Renntech's site:

Here's a link to the bypass install I just did yesterday:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ss-review.html

Old 12-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
How much more room do you need? Everything is right there with the wheels off.
i just followed sharkwerks instructions. removing the resonator does not require removing the bumper as its a simple bolt on. but they bypass requires both sleeved ends to be attached to both muffler. at least one muffler has to swing out sideways in order to slide each sleeve of the bypass in place. with out removing the bumper, there was not enough room to install the bypass.

perhaps there is some special technique im not aware of?? perhaps the gt3 bypass install from sharkwerks is a bit different? anycase removal of the rear bumper was very fast like 15min. btw, i never took the wheels off or even jacked up the car.

Attached Images     

Last edited by Daytonaviolet; 12-21-2008 at 04:57 PM.