997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I'm on the Fabspeed Pipe! 2009 Side Muffler By Pass Pipes.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:00 PM
ryan330 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 993RSClubsport
Hi and Happy Holidays

A couple of notes on Fabspeed Motorsports development of performance components for the new 2009 997 direct injected cars. As I mentioned before everything we have developed on our new car that we purchased back in September is modular and incrementally dyno developed.

Fabspeed recognizes that all Porsche owners are different in their driving style and car usuage. That is why Fabspeed will offer all sorts of different combinations for this 2009 997 and all Porsche cars. Porsche owners want to have different loudness/ sound levels from a mild PSE style upgrade to many enthusiastic Driver Ed/ Club Race drivers/ Grand Am- KONI CUP race teams that want all out weight savings and could car less about loudness.

In the past several competitors posted Video of the Fabspeed 2005 997S that we purchased back in 2004. The 1st part I designed and Dyno tested was muffler bypass pipes. I again did this for the 2009 997 car as well. Now Fabspeed has muffler bypass for all Porsche cars from 1978 911SC aircooled cars and the final aircooled classic 993Twin Turbos..........each and every watercooled 996/996GT3/996TT/997TT and the newest car. For the "right customer and right application and driving style" the parts work and save weight.

Why do I mention this sometimes competitors and others mention that Fabspeed exhaust systems are loud. That is not true as we offer all sorts of sound levels based on customers needs. This takes alot of engineering and design efforts and manufacturing and inventory efforts to build and stock these parts.

So for the new 2009 997 car we are offering:

1) 2ndary side muffler bypass pipes- these eliminate the stock 2ndary mufflers.These are loud and proud and offer aggressive sound.

2) Primary center muffler replacement pipe-- High Performance X pipe. This is the parts that ALL and I mean ALL 2009 997 cars should have as original equipment by Porsche. This part adds exotic sports car sound and dyno proven power and is fabulous. Lightweight T304SS.

3) Maxflo CUP style air-intake system- adds sports car sound and dyno proven power and maintains COLD air temps and is fully tested.

4) Ken McNeil designed something really really cool for my car. The worlds 1st Dual Tone Maxflo high performance mufflers. I had tooling made up again to CNC stamp oval/round muffler endcaps and oval muffler cases. The customer can choose between 2 distinctive sound levels in one muffler design. Any customer or shop can quickly change the cars sound incase the customer has a PDK Cabriolet or just wants quiet and more power like a 996/997 PSE style system. No wires or vacuum lines are required.

The more aggressive version has no resonance or drone and added significant power on the Dyno over the stock 2ndary mufflers.

5) Fabspeed dual Quad tips are being completed and have an unique design to try to prevent many companies that typically copy our exhaust designs and nexhaust tips. These will have a foolproof fitment and be very hard to copy.

On the new 2009 car the hot set-up right now is our center muffler X pipe and 2ndary Maxflo dual tone muffler and a CUP air intake system. The center muffler X pipe works absolutely incredible with the stock 2ndary mufflers as well BUT there is another +12HP and in certain areas on the Dyno curve another +20ftlbs of torque by eliminating the stock boat anchors.

Detailed VIDEO explanations to be posted soon. WE have been working very hard to get this completed and fully tested.
Thank you for that write up, I found it very helpful. Which system would you recommend for me? I have an 09 S Cab 6mt and I am a bit disappointed with the rather wimpy sound in comparison to the sound on my old stock 06 C2S. I am looking for a slightly more beefed up sound- nothing super loud but noticeable over the stock sound. Basically, a little more rumble and burble but minimal drone when cruising. Weight savings is not a large factor an obviously any power increases would be welcomed. Thanks!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryan330
Thank you for that write up, I found it very helpful. Which system would you recommend for me? I have an 09 S Cab 6mt and I am a bit disappointed with the rather wimpy sound in comparison to the sound on my old stock 06 C2S. I am looking for a slightly more beefed up sound- nothing super loud but noticeable over the stock sound. Basically, a little more rumble and burble but minimal drone when cruising. Weight savings is not a large factor an obviously any power increases would be welcomed. Thanks!
Ryan330 I believe the primary muffler bypass X-Pipe is what you are looking for to elevate the sound with no resonance or droning. You save 6 lbs from the rear of the car and pick up +13WHP/+23ft-lbs TQ. Here's a sound clip of the X-Pipe installed on our 997.2 6spd with the High performance air intake with carbon fiber heatshield.
YOUTUBE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koBU8NhbNtY
VIMEO:
http://www.vimeo.com/2280595

MDRUMS>>>another win in the books for those Steelers
How about that defense>>check out this hit last night on Mason>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZz2wVXGxLM
Was almost as good as this one on Welker>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbtuyXZbFk

Old 12-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
We are getting solid data as Ken McNeil completes DYNO testing, Video sound taping and sound quality assurance.

RIGHT NOW our 2009 997S>>with the primary muffler X pipe that eliminates the stock center muffler Maxflo mufflers and CUP airintake is making significantly more TORQUE on almost all areas of the dyno curve than a 997 GT3/GT3RS.

Right now we have driven my 997S with several combinations. The best horsepower and torque is running the X pipe with our Dual tone maxflo mufflers and CUP air intake system. The car will RUN away from a GT3 in a straight line. Absolutely no resonance and no droan guaranteed. Ken's Dual Tone mufflers allow you to go from sporty/agressive sound to mild fast and easy. There is no part throttle resonace or boom.......and the best part is when you floor the car and the car really sings.

My advice will be the X pipe and Maxflo mufflers for any and all 2009 997/ 997S cars. Anyone and everyone can cruise over and drive my car. The new 12:1 static compression direct injected car is amazing. Everything is so crisp and the throttle response is electric.

Ken is mocking up sets of headers with HJS 200CPSI cats with high velocity merge collectors and smooth 1 piece mandrel C.N.C bent primary tubes.

AS I get time I will post pictures>>

Old 12-15-2008, 09:22 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryan330
Ryan, I have the side muffler by pass pipes. They sound good, the car feels crisp but they can be loud...probably too loud for most on these message boards. Definitly too loud for my wife and she does like a good sound.

I would suggest the X pipe which eliminates the center muffler which connects both cylinder banks in the exhaust stream. Add the new dual cone Maxflo mufflers because they will get you some more performance and you can go from mild to loud with them.

I will probably go this way in 2009. I just need to save my penny's next year because I want to do the full set up with the new headers 200cel cats, X pipe and Maxflow mufflers plus the Cup intake and a custom Softronic ECU flash. That is my goal but I need to see what this will cost me and pray business gets better for me.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Sezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to behold
What do the X pipes and the bypass sound like WITHOUT the air intake? Muffled?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Sezme
What do the X pipes and the bypass sound like WITHOUT the air intake? Muffled?
If you go with the x-pipe and side muffler bypass the car will not be muffled because there will be no mufflers on the car. This setup is most likely for the track junkie as it sounds great but might be too loud for everyday driving! Your best bet would be to go with the Fabspeed X-Pipe, Fabspeed intake and Fabspeed dual tone muffler. With the dual tone muffler you will have the ability to switch between two different sound levels by switching between two different inlet pipes on the muffler itself.