997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I'm on the Fabspeed Pipe! 2009 Side Muffler By Pass Pipes.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:59 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I'm on the Fabspeed Pipe! 2009 Side Muffler By Pass Pipes.

Well everyone I could not wait any longer, put my money where my mouth is and wanted to have my 2009 Carrera S sound meaner, get a little more power and especially take some weight off the rear. So far to market Fabspeed is the only company to come out with some exhaust options. They literly bought a 2009 997S and have ben developing these options. I spoke with Fabspeed and they have even more cool things coming out soon.

I bought the Fabspeed side muffler by-pass pipes. The install was super easy and I went slow and it only took me around an hour at most in my garage. The stock mufflers really do weight a ton as Joe pointed out in the video on the Fabspeed website. I shaved 50lbs off the rear!

The car sounds so much better and it revs up faster. The video clip on the Fabspeed website does not do the sound justice as in person the fidelity is so much better. I listen to the website clips through studio monitors but the little mic on a camcorder is only so good. My neighbor up the street has the PSE system on his 2006 C2s and this new 09 engine sounds really different in it's harmonics than my 2006 and 07 997S with stock and Fabspeed Maxflo mufflers. The side muffler by pass pipes are louder than PSE. So if you know what PSE 997 cars sound like think a louder deeper with more growl. Basically the side muffler by pass pipes are a inexpensive way to gain some power and sound better but they allow you to shed a lot of weight.

From being a past Fabspeed Maxflo muffler owner on my past 2 Carrera S cars I think for the overall best sound and power the new X pipe that removes the center primary muffler and conects each cylinder bank exhaust gases along with these new Maxflo tuned/tunable mufflers coming out might be the best way to go. I hope to hear this system in person soon. I hear this package is making some nice power along with the Fabspeed air intake. I beat that a SoftTronic ECU tune with this package will really wake up the car even more. I believe the sound will be more exotic and street friendly.

So there you have it....the car as stock sounds HORRIBLE but the Fabspeed side muffler by-pass pipes will wake it up for little money and if you are a hard core enthusist and love the racey sport sound of a Porsche engine this will get you going.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:25 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Congrats Mdrums! I know what the car sounds like with the sides removed and it's a lot of fun- weight savings are nice too.....

Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Congrats Mdrums! I know what the car sounds like with the sides removed and it's a lot of fun- weight savings are nice too.....
Yeah I just could not wait any longer. Best of luck on your system when it comes out.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:59 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
Yeah I just could not wait any longer. Best of luck on your system when it comes out.
Hehe you and me both I think Fabspeed's better equipped for producing multiple set ups than we are in terms of size etc... As much as I loved driving to and from a magazine shoot a couple of months ago with a similair bypass as yours it's probably a tad loud for a lot of folks (you and me aside). Ours will be a milder set up (PSE-like).

Old 12-12-2008, 12:13 PM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
As much as I loved driving to and from a magazine shoot a couple of months ago with a similair bypass as yours it's probably a tad loud for a lot of folks (you and me aside). Ours will be a milder set up (PSE-like).
Sharkfolk- I am glad to read this. Weight loss and HP/TQ gain good, drone on the daily commute, and antagonizing the neighbors during AM start-up bad. Looking forward to seeing and hearing your product.

How much more for a Titanium set-up? Got to be greatest potential weight saving yes? No?

MDrums, not implying you have anything less than a mighty fine set-up, please don't be offended. Congrats on the new power and added emotional impetus! Is your car a DD? How is the additional sound level in the cabin at highway speeds?

Cheers!

Old 12-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
I'm glad you like the muffler bypass pipes Mike and I hope everything is well for your pup. We just finished developing the prototype dual-tone Maxflo mufflers and will continue with the testing phase next week. I will post the results as well as soundclips when we return from the weekend.

P.S.> we played well against those Cowboys, now it's time to show the Ravens what defense is all about.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Joey@fabspeed
I'm glad you like the muffler bypass pipes Mike and I hope everything is well for your pup. We just finished developing the prototype dual-tone Maxflo mufflers and will continue with the testing phase next week. I will post the results as well as soundclips when we return from the weekend.

P.S.> we played well against those Cowboys, now it's time to show the Ravens what defense is all about.
Yeah H U G E game Sunday...I hope the Steelers offense shows up!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by sayboy
Sharkfolk- I am glad to read this. Weight loss and HP/TQ gain good, drone on the daily commute, and antagonizing the neighbors during AM start-up bad. Looking forward to seeing and hearing your product.

How much more for a Titanium set-up? Got to be greatest potential weight saving yes? No?

MDrums, not implying you have anything less than a mighty fine set-up, please don't be offended. Congrats on the new power and added emotional impetus! Is your car a DD? How is the additional sound level in the cabin at highway speeds?

Cheers!
No offense taken. The car sounds REALLY good. It sounds like a sports car!

Since I work from my home and travel to and from the airport none on my cars are really dailey drivers to and from work. I am not like most and do not care about the luxury side of a Porsche. If I want luxury I drive my CLK550, when I need to go to the mall and store or haul something I drive the X3 when I am feeling the need for sport I drive my Porsche.

To me Porsche is all about sports car in the trueist sence and I love the racing history. I am NOT into wood trim, power this and that functions, plush seats, a soft ride, a quiet ride, back up sensors and all that chit in a Porsche. I enjoy my Porsche in it's element at the track which I drive to and from. My wife will go out and drive the car all weekend and then the next day run some small erands and take it to dinner. I have taken it on a few business road trips but I do not drive to an office everyday.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:09 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Joey@fabspeed

If by dual tone, you mean ala PSE, that would be a real innovation.
Md, I prolly would have gone for bypassing the third can with the crossover pipes. post a clip already!
btw, my chiefs are a joke this year, guess I'll be a giants fan.
c

Old 12-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Md, I prolly would have gone for bypassing the third can with the crossover pipes. post a clip already!
c
I won't even mention the Raiders

Old 12-12-2008, 10:04 PM
c
The clip of the sound is already on Fabspeeds website. I suggest you visit it and check it out as it is real easy to compare the dyno graph's of the X pipe and the side muffler bypass pipe and the video clips of both.

I am still very interested in the X pipe but I'd need to have the X pipe with the new Maxflo dual cone mufflers, new air intake and a Softronic ECU program.

Yeah the Chiefs are not good this year...I thought they would be better.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:07 PM
I won't even mention the Raiders
Who?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:48 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Whats different about their dual cone mufflers?

Old 12-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Whats different about their dual cone mufflers?
You will have to ask Fabspeed to explain.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Hi and Happy Holidays

A couple of notes on Fabspeed Motorsports development of performance components for the new 2009 997 direct injected cars. As I mentioned before everything we have developed on our new car that we purchased back in September is modular and incrementally dyno developed.

Fabspeed recognizes that all Porsche owners are different in their driving style and car usuage. That is why Fabspeed will offer all sorts of different combinations for this 2009 997 and all Porsche cars. Porsche owners want to have different loudness/ sound levels from a mild PSE style upgrade to many enthusiastic Driver Ed/ Club Race drivers/ Grand Am- KONI CUP race teams that want all out weight savings and could car less about loudness.

In the past several competitors posted Video of the Fabspeed 2005 997S that we purchased back in 2004. The 1st part I designed and Dyno tested was muffler bypass pipes. I again did this for the 2009 997 car as well. Now Fabspeed has muffler bypass for all Porsche cars from 1978 911SC aircooled cars and the final aircooled classic 993Twin Turbos..........each and every watercooled 996/996GT3/996TT/997TT and the newest car. For the "right customer and right application and driving style" the parts work and save weight.

Why do I mention this sometimes competitors and others mention that Fabspeed exhaust systems are loud. That is not true as we offer all sorts of sound levels based on customers needs. This takes alot of engineering and design efforts and manufacturing and inventory efforts to build and stock these parts.

So for the new 2009 997 car we are offering:

1) 2ndary side muffler bypass pipes- these eliminate the stock 2ndary mufflers.These are loud and proud and offer aggressive sound.

2) Primary center muffler replacement pipe-- High Performance X pipe. This is the parts that ALL and I mean ALL 2009 997 cars should have as original equipment by Porsche. This part adds exotic sports car sound and dyno proven power and is fabulous. Lightweight T304SS.

3) Maxflo CUP style air-intake system- adds sports car sound and dyno proven power and maintains COLD air temps and is fully tested.

4) Ken McNeil designed something really really cool for my car. The worlds 1st Dual Tone Maxflo high performance mufflers. I had tooling made up again to CNC stamp oval/round muffler endcaps and oval muffler cases. The customer can choose between 2 distinctive sound levels in one muffler design. Any customer or shop can quickly change the cars sound incase the customer has a PDK Cabriolet or just wants quiet and more power like a 996/997 PSE style system. No wires or vacuum lines are required.

The more aggressive version has no resonance or drone and added significant power on the Dyno over the stock 2ndary mufflers.

5) Fabspeed dual Quad tips are being completed and have an unique design to try to prevent many companies that typically copy our exhaust designs and nexhaust tips. These will have a foolproof fitment and be very hard to copy.

On the new 2009 car the hot set-up right now is our center muffler X pipe and 2ndary Maxflo dual tone muffler and a CUP air intake system. The center muffler X pipe works absolutely incredible with the stock 2ndary mufflers as well BUT there is another +12HP and in certain areas on the Dyno curve another +20ftlbs of torque by eliminating the stock boat anchors.

Detailed VIDEO explanations to be posted soon. WE have been working very hard to get this completed and fully tested.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm on the Fabspeed Pipe! 2009 Side Muffler By Pass Pipes.