997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Brand New Porsches Cheaper in Mexico than Canada and the USA?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:04 PM
jtellez is infamous around these parts
Brand New Porsches Cheaper in Mexico than Canada and the USA?

Hi guys,

Porche de Mexico has a incentive program for brand new cars in where the tag price stays the same but the exchange rate is preferencial.

Example:

A 911C that cost $120,000 USD is calculated to pay in Pesos $120,000 x $10.90

But since the exchange rate MXP vs. USD is around 13.6 pesos for a dollar that means that you are really paying $96176.47... around 24% less...and (I guess) if you export it you might get the VAT difference... here is 15% so (I guess again) according to NAFTA rules you will get a favor difference on the VAT...

Good chance to save or make some cash for the Canadian and American Porsche lovers....

Old 12-13-2008, 08:15 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Many other countries pay as much as double and even triple what we do in the USA . For instance A post in the Turbo forum priced an EVT700 in Finland at "500k" USD and it's not unusual to see cars in Australia and even South America (Argentina) costing much more.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 PM
plz
plz is infamous around these parts
jtellez, why does the USD come into it at all when buying a car in Mexico? Do you actually have to pay to a P dealer in USD? That seems strange, I would expected you would pay in your local currency. Please explain, thanks.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Big_O is infamous around these parts
It may not be worth it if it's not smog certified for most US states. In other words, you might save money buying it in another country, but the dmv may not register the car for street driving if it doesn't pass smog inspection.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 PM
dmz
dmz is infamous around these parts
Good point, are Mexican Porsche idetical to US cars? What's is needed to register one at the DMV? This process would probably take more time and money to worth it. Then there is the issues if warranty support, Do the US dealer even consider doing warranty work on a Mexican market car?

Originally Posted by Big_O
It may not be worth it if it's not smog certified for most US states. In other words, you might save money buying it in another country, but the dmv may not register the car for street driving if it doesn't pass smog inspection.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:39 AM
BMW, Porsche, Mercedes TAG prices are calculated in USD but converted into pesos the day you buy it... the invoice states pesos, but how many pesos you pay depends on the exchange rate of the day... right now the MXP vs USD is 13.6 (goes up and down because the world financial crisis) but Porsche is giving the incentive of calculate the pesos to pay with a cheaper dollar instead of the real one...

Old 12-14-2008, 08:47 AM
about emission:

Brand New Cars to be sold in Mexico has to meet at least California emissions regulations... remember that Mexico City (that has 20% of Mexico Population and I guess 35% of Cars) used to be so polluted that the local autorities got so strict with emissions and adopt the toughest standards in the world (California)

Emissions control has to pass a dynamic test in a "dyno" and only up to 2 year old car can have a green tag to be used in Mexico City every day, then cars from 3 to 5 years old has to pass very low emissions to be able to be used all week days...

Older cars has to be stored one week day depending on the last digit of the licence plate (for example if your licence plate is ABC 678 the "8" means your car cant be used on tuesday)

So dont worry, a Mexican Porsche will pass easily the emission test even in California... and about importing since 3 or 4 years NAFTA allows full importing and exporting between Mexico-USA-Canada... check with a customs broker

Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 AM
check www.porsche.com.mx and go to "car configurator" to make a comparison on same models...

Old 12-14-2008, 08:59 AM
I entered into the sites of the USA and Mexico... and I was wrong
the tag price is cheaper in the USA than in Mexico but with the exchange rate incentive it ends the same so is no point to buy them here...

here is an example

in Mexico (USD total with no extra charges)

911 Carrera
Motor (tamaño):
3.614 cm³, 6 cilindros
Potencia:
254 kW (345 CV)@6.500 1/min
Precio:
$100,389.00

in the USA same car:
911 Carrera
Engine (size):
3.6 l, 6 cylinder
Power:
345 hp@6500 rpm
Price:
$75,600.00

Old 12-23-2008, 12:33 AM
blas is infamous around these parts
Here in Puerto Rico, we have the same "economy" of United States, no exchange rates, etc and we pay over 200k for a turbo, 340k for a F430, 155k for a M5/M6, 125k for a GTR, etc.. luxury cars pay around 50% of the MSRP in local taxes.

one word.. OWNED! lol

Old 12-23-2008, 05:47 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blas
Here in Puerto Rico, we have the same "economy" of United States, no exchange rates, etc and we pay over 200k for a turbo, 340k for a F430, 155k for a M5/M6, 125k for a GTR, etc.. luxury cars pay around 50% of the MSRP in local taxes.

one word.. OWNED! lol
But you also enjoy the benefits of being part of the US without paying US federal income taxes, so it all kind of works out

Old 12-23-2008, 05:51 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I would bet you a dollar that if you could get the cars cheaper in Mexico, there is no way a US dealer would service them. They would be cutting their own throats by doing so. As it stands now, there are dealers that are refusing to service new vehicles that were purchased outside their state; or at the very minimum, setting them up for appointments 2 months out at a time with no loaners to make it as difficult as possible. I can't say I blame them.... I would definitely check with my local dealer regarding their policies before committing to anything.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:13 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I would bet you a dollar that if you could get the cars cheaper in Mexico, there is no way a US dealer would service them. They would be cutting their own throats by doing so. As it stands now, there are dealers that are refusing to service new vehicles that were purchased outside their state; or at the very minimum, setting them up for appointments 2 months out at a time with no loaners to make it as difficult as possible. I can't say I blame them.... I would definitely check with my local dealer regarding their policies before committing to anything.
I dont understand why a dealer would refuse to work on an out of state Pcar. Porsche is not like BMW in that they dont offer free maintenance so I fail to see how a given Porsche dealer would be losing money to service out of state cars. Maybe I a missing something?

Jason

Old 12-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by JEllis
I dont understand why a dealer would refuse to work on an out of state Pcar. Porsche is not like BMW in that they dont offer free maintenance so I fail to see how a given Porsche dealer would be losing money to service out of state cars. Maybe I a missing something?

Jason
Because they want to sell AND service the car. If they only service them they're obviously missing out on a good chunk of change. They're trying to motivate you to buy the car there.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:26 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Because they want to sell AND service the car. If they only service them they're obviously missing out on a good chunk of change. They're trying to motivate you to buy the car there.
I see what you are saying but I cannot picture a service department not wanting someones business. A lot of revenue is generated through the dealers service department.

Jason

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brand New Porsches Cheaper in Mexico than Canada and the USA?