997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 C2 Bilstein PS9 Bumpy Ride

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:05 PM
justjay202 is infamous around these parts
997 C2 Bilstein PS9 Bumpy Ride

Just wondering if there are any C2 owners with PS9's on experience a bumpy ride.

I don't have PASM on my C2 and the ride has gotten more and more uncomfortable with time.

Anything input would help.

Is PASM the only way to make the ride unbumpy? And is there any way to retrofit onto a non-PASM C2?

Tks,
J

Old 12-15-2008, 10:10 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justjay202
Just wondering if there are any C2 owners with PS9's on experience a bumpy ride.

I don't have PASM on my C2 and the ride has gotten more and more uncomfortable with time.

Is PASM the only way to make the ride unbumpy? And is there any way to retrofit onto a non-PASM C2?

Tks,
J
I had PASM but elected to go with a coil over that didn't work with it.
Pasm was just a way to switch between two modes Normal(comfy) and sport(rough).I would say my JIC coil-overs ride like the sport mode.
To make a non-pasm car....pasm,I do not know forsure but like everything else I would say it would be expensive !
Again I am not a tech!
You may be able to change your spring rates.Springs aren't that much money!
I think mine were $150/pr for the JIC's

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 12-15-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Mine rides SPORT all the time. It rode that way stock.

My rear end is finding it more and more impossible to make it a daily driver.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:19 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Mine rides SPORT all the time. It rode that way stock.

My rear end is finding it more and more impossible to make it a daily driver.
Not sure on the PSS9's if you can get different spring rates but do a search and maybe you will be surprised.I am trying to search/find out for you as well.
I have to agree,mine is not a daily driver so I do not mind the ride...heck I do not even drive mine so what does it matter,LOL!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:29 AM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
justjay,
I have done a bit of searching for the same question (i don't have PASM either and some roads are rough with the stiff C2 stock suspension). Our cars are not pre-wired for PASM so that would be a bit of a project. The Bilstein products (PSS9 & PSS10) are manually adjustable (at each shock) with 9 or 10 different selections from hard to soft. These are not remote-changeable as you drive. And I would like to know how soft their version of 'soft' is. Bilstein also offeres an electronic ride control version of these shocks/coilovers that does allow you to select between two settings as you drive, using a remote wired button. This does require adding wiring to each corner of the car, but likely less complex than PASM since you don't actually have to tie into stock wiring and connectors.

I'm not ready to change my suspension for a while, but there is at least one or two alternatives out there. They all (including Porsche PASM) lower the ride height. I believe the PSS9/10 are under $3K for the parts - they are available from some of the sponsor suppliers on this board. Not sure what install would be. Even if you did the work yourself you would need a significant alignment due to the drop in ride height.

Good luck and let us know what you do. (Note: I'm not trying to push Bilstein; I just didn't find another one that was adjustable in my search. There are probably other options out there).

John

Last edited by johnstoy; 12-16-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:00 AM
MonkeyWrench is infamous around these parts

Tks,
J
J,
I would call Bilstein directly and tell them your issues. I have found that they are very helpful and may be able to either dial them in for your comfort or suggest and sell you a new set of springs with a different spring rate to your liking.
Good luck, Michael

Old 12-16-2008, 09:03 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I would take your car to a shop that knows how to set up the suspension. Get them to adjust the spring and rebound rates of your suspension. There should be plenty of adjustment possibilities with the PSS9, it just needs to be done be some one who understands the adjustments.

Good Luck

Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 AM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
Sorry, I misread your question and went off in another direction.
As NorthVan said, if you already have the PSS9's you can get the compression/rebound effect of the shock absorber adjusted using the dials located at the bottom of the shock tubes. Different springs may also be available from Bilstein for the 997 that would alter the characteristics and ride. A knowledgeable shop should be able to find a setup that is more to your likeing without major expense.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks for your posts. Went to my shop. Had to dismount the whole rear assembly to get to the adjustment piece.

Set the spring rate to 9 on both front and rear... MUCH BETTER!!!