997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:23 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
What did you guys do with your oil fill tube...mine is hitting the fan when I close the deck-lid!?

I am really contemplating moving the air filter to one of two spots.
One spot being right behind the IC cooler....
or
A U-bend right back and around to the drivers side(kinda underneath the cooloant tank).
Both spots will need the mass air flow wiring lengthened.
Thoughts?

Here are the spots I am thinking of....

This spot may get tight with that coolant bottle but nothing is impossible...

Old 01-25-2009, 06:34 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by justatoy
What did you guys do with your oil fill tube...mine is hitting the fan when I close the deck-lid!?

I am really contemplating moving the air filter to one of two spots.
One spot being right behind the IC cooler....
or
A U-bend right back and around to the drivers side(kinda underneath the cooloant tank).
Both spots will need the mass air flow wiring lengthened.
Thoughts?

Here are the spots I am thinking of....

This spot may get tight with that coolant bottle but nothing is impossible...

The MAF must be a good distance from the compressor to get an acurate and predictable reading. There is no performance reason to move the filter. Getting to the filter to clean it is not difficult and once you have done it a few times, it is no more than a 30 - 45 minute job to remove and reinstall.

As for the oil filler tube: Take one of those plastic straps you used to hold the water lines on under the car and strap the tube to the bypass valve. I shortened my tube so it fits better. You might have to tuck in the crankcase vent line also.

Have you tried closing you trunk lid yet?

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 01-25-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
The MAF must be a good distance from the compressor to get an acurate and predictable reading. There is no performance reason to move the filter. Getting to the filter to clean it is not difficult and once you have done it a few times, it is no more than a 30 - 45 minute job to remove and reinstall.

As for the oil filler tube: Take one of those plastic straps you used to hold the water lines on under the car and strap the tube to the bypass valve. I shortened my tube so it fits better.

Have you tried closing you trunk lid yet?
I just thought By putting the air filter behind the IC it would be alot easier to clean,but more so,it just seems like everything in that area where it is now is 'jammed' in there!
Do you think there would be a problem with moving it to behind the IC location?

YUP......Very slowly!
The shock that holds the rear deck-lid up seems to 'touch' on the IC,which is why I am going to move it in a bit,
the shield also touches the compressor but I bought a used trunk-lid which with some luck already had this part notched! So I don't have to modify mine!
Judging by your question.......anywhere else of concern,LOL!?

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 01-25-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:53 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by justatoy
I just thought By putting the air filter behind the IC it would be alot easier to clean,but more so,it just seems like everything in that area is 'jammed' in there!
Do you think there would be a problem with moving it to behind the IC location?

YUP......Very slowly!
The shock that hoklds the rear deck-lid up seems to 'touch' on the IC,which is why I am going to move it in a bit,
the shield also touches the compressor but I bought a used trunk-lid which with some luck already had this part notched! So I don't have to modify mine!
Judging by your question.......anywhere else of concern,LOL!?

Stacy
It was the trunk lid cut I was wondering if you had done yet.

I doubt the filter would fit behind the IC.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:01 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
<<<There is no performance reason to move the filter.>>>

Actually there is if there was a place to actually move it to. In its current location the intake air is significantly hotter than ambient. A Turbo intake cutout on the right side of the car might work but that would require cutting and fabrication.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
<<<There is no performance reason to move the filter.>>>

Actually there is if there was a place to actually move it to. In its current location the intake air is significantly hotter than ambient. A Turbo intake cutout on the right side of the car might work but that would require cutting and fabrication.

It is not hotter is you do the things I mentioned above.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:05 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
It was the trunk lid cut I was wondering if you had done yet.
The VF rep told me last weekend that there is no need to cut the deck lid on a factory lid. Only the after-market lids sometimes need to be cut because they are "thicker" and interfere on the inside. The demo car he had at the GMG open house had no changes to the inside of the deck lid.

Last edited by keninirvine; 02-16-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
The VF rep told me last weekend that there is no need to cut the deck lid on a factory lid. Only the after-market lids sometimes need to be cut because they are "thicker" and interfere on the inside. The demo car he had at the GMG open house had no changes to the inside of the deck lid.

I don't know about the new lids but the older system with stock deck lid DID require cutting of the sheet metal above compressor.. It is even outlined in the instructions. The Aero Wing does not need any modification.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 01-25-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Here is the spot I am talking about!
There would be enough room for the mass air section as well.
Would be a bit easier with changing/cleaning the filter.
I also marked out a couple of spots I could modify/cut for possibly a little cooler air intake?!
When/if charger is taken out these spots are really not noticable to have been modified.
I know it is behind the bumper and above the cats but there has to be some air movement there at speed which the original spot MAY be lacking?!
Thoughts?

I am pointing at the spot where a couple of holes could be cut to allow air flow

Old 01-25-2009, 09:01 PM
First one won't work becasue MAF will be too close to blower and will be effected by surge.

I would not waste anytime trying to find a better place for the filter. The time you spend with modifications and then recalibrating the MAF signal could be used to change the filter a dozen times. Like I said before, there is no performance improvement to be found moving it from it's normal location.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Ist one won't work becasue MAF will be to close to blower and will be effected by surge.

I would not waste anytime trying to find a better place for the filter. The time you spend with modifications and then recalibrating the MAF signal could be used to change the filter a dozen times. Like I said before, there is no performance improvement to be found moving it from it's normal location.
I love you critiquing all of this....!
You are probably right.....and I won't have to put a hole saw to my car,LOL!

I did manage to adjust the IC so that the shock/strut form the decklid won't hit!
Happy about that!
And so close to closing the decklid right now,except for that oil fill tubebut I will try another spot.

Stacy

Old 01-25-2009, 09:15 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Stacy, perhaps a call to VF tomorrow will help you figure out a way to solve this. It looks like something needs to move slightly to make it work.

I am very impressed with your progress, this thread has been great to follow.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Stacy, it been a pleasure to meet you today and show me around your projects. We need to give this guy a big pop. The way he install and document the SC, the creation of his own side and rear skirt, also the way he clean his car. This is second to none and is been great to have him in our Porsche community! Great job and keep it coming!!

btw, can you PM me your e-mail?

Old 01-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
people have relocated the air filter, but Im with 1999 on this... dont waste your time. There is no difference as far as temp is concerned... the intercooler does a fantastic job cooling the air intake temp. As for maintence... having the filter there still doesnt give you the room for easy access and still have to do some juggling.

here is a relocated filter...

Old 01-26-2009, 11:48 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Looking great, Stacy!

As for the stock deck lid, I had to take a ball-peen hammer and knock a dent on the inside of mine not to get a rattle. I'm talking STOCK deck lid too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)