997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:25 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
How many gallons are you guys using to fill the IC?

Stacy

Old 02-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
I forget, just fill er up til you cant fill it no more. Make sure you have constant flow and no air bubbles.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:53 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Had a problem tonight with the flow of the coolant through the IC system.

I found that the flow of the coolant would 'spit' out the purge tank which signify wrong direction for flow!
I followed the instructions to a 'T' and read them 100 times today,LOL.
So I enquired with a few knowledgeable people here on the forum which ALL concluded that there may be a mistake with the directions.
I will conatct VF tomorrow and see what they have to say and double check the findings and see if possibly VF made a mistake with the directions.
If so I will modify the appropriate hoses tomorrow...easy fix!

Stacy

Old 02-01-2009, 11:37 PM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Stacy,
I'll bet you've explained it many times before, but I'm dying to know how you got the ***** up to undertake these mods yourself? Are you professionally trained for working on cars or did you just teach yourself. Given the amount of tools and other specialized equipment needed, it's hard to imagine someone from the outside going after this.
Kudos either way.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by CMOS
Stacy,
I'll bet you've explained it many times before, but I'm dying to know how you got the ***** up to undertake these mods yourself? Are you professionally trained for working on cars or did you just teach yourself. Given the amount of tools and other specialized equipment needed, it's hard to imagine someone from the outside going after this.
Kudos either way.
'*****' is not what I call it,LOL!
I call it stupidity and the willingness to embarass yourself publically,LOL!

As far as the supercharger/tools required is not all that bad.A pretty simple tool kit and few trips to the tool store and you have it covered.Oh yeah the most imporatant tool af all.....PATIENCE!

The bodykit was just a matter of having the nerve to try.I have watched fiberglass guys over the years and found that it really isn't that hard to do.Just a whole bunch of common sense when prepping and designing.
This is the second bodykit I built,first was that for a NSX.
I am in the drywall/sheeterock business so the prototype bodykit was built out of drywall mud compound and later covered with fiberglass.Anyway that is a long story...read the 'Wheels and bodykit" thread I posted,LOL.

Long story short,I am just a hobbyist.
Trust me I have asked what would appear to a few some pretty stupid questions along the way with these projects that I do!
The way I figure it,if you need to understand,then ask....I have yet for someone to ridicule me for my efforts!
I have a passion for cars and more so for the knowledge and appreciation that can come from these forums.
I could NOT have done this if it wasn't for the help from this forum and a few people on THIS forum...I will post names later on(if ok with individuals) too who has helped me!

Stacy

PS Not sure there will be an encore after this!
My car will be done,nothing left to do(almost time to sell it then),LOL!

Stacy

Old 02-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Mother is infamous around these parts
Maybe this will help.

Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by justatoy
Had a problem tonight with the flow of the coolant through the IC system.

I found that the flow of the coolant would 'spit' out the purge tank which signify wrong direction for flow!
I followed the instructions to a 'T' and read them 100 times today,LOL.
So I enquired with a few knowledgeable people here on the forum which ALL concluded that there may be a mistake with the directions.
I will conatct VF tomorrow and see what they have to say and double check the findings and see if possibly VF made a mistake with the directions.
If so I will modify the appropriate hoses tomorrow...easy fix!

Stacy
OK here goes...!
I changed the lines over today....filled the purge tank and started to bleed the system.It seemed to be getting close,when all of a sudden it shot me in the face,LOL!
Ended up that VF had the right lay-out in the first place(how dare I question the instructions).

This is one of those moments that I embarassed myself on the forums!

So I want to thank 1999porsche911,IAPorscheDoc and Redridge for dealing with my countless pm's last night!
Sorry guys....panic set-in!
You guys are always right and I am....well......aaaahhhhhh you know!?

Anyway,IC system has been bled.
But not without wasting a ton of coolant on my garage floor!
You think the floors bad,you should see my clothes.
Man does that pump move the coolant!!

Originally Posted by Mother
Maybe this will help.
Thanks for the diagram.

ECU OUT tomorrow...for sure!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 02-02-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:08 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Stacy, I think that it is refreshing that you are willing to admit when you make a little mistake and you are able to laugh about it.

Most of us (including myself) would skip the part of the spilt coolant and just tell the other parts.

Good for you.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:26 AM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
whatever happens... as long as you get the job done right!! making mistakes is the only way you learn to do things properly! and the fact that you are willing to try is awesome...

Old 02-03-2009, 04:31 PM
sshjd is infamous around these parts
Best damn thread ever! Over 230 entries and over 7000 reads. Wow, it should be a book! Great story on a great ride, Stacy. Can hardly wait for the drive tests!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by sshjd
Best damn thread ever! Over 230 entries and over 7000 reads. Wow, it should be a book! Great story on a great ride, Stacy. Can hardly wait for the drive tests!
LOL,Thanks!
It has been good entertainment for some and hopefully helpful for others.
It has had alot of posts,however,not sure it will beat the "wheels and bodykit" view count....over 10,000

Stacy

Old 02-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Convertible top Ecu removal.
First tilt the top up to this point so you can have some room to work.

Once at this point the limiting straps just pop off.Then lift the carpet material on the bottom.This is where the electronic equipment will be hiding.

A couple of the plugs on the ECU are held on with locking arms,so be sure to rotate these before trying to pull the plug.

Remove the 4 screws holding the ECU and you are done!
I wouldn't try to save time by pulling the ECU out prior to installing the charger....once your battery is disconnected the top is stuck in this position and will not allow you room to open the trunk lid to work....!
Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 02-03-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Flyer007 is infamous around these parts
PROPS to you Stacey!

I was brought up as a DIY mech having rebuilt a Javlin AMX, Mustang GT and helped on dads vette. It really makes me feel good to see people out there continuing to tackle projects like this.

When I picked up my first pcar last year people asked if I was concerned about maint costs. My answer to them was no way, still gonna DIY. At which point they thought I was nuts. I explained to them 2 things: One our cars are race designed and therefore designed for maint. Second the amount of DIY information available to me is incredible.

To me this has been one of the greatest contributions the internet has brought to the modern world. The amount of information available for us is 1000x more then a Chilton book could ever provide to our previous generations.

I would love to do this mod at some point in the future. Thank you so much for the great writeup on your project. I expect to see some youtube videos of this car running soon!!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 09:03 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Stacey and all,

I just actually received my Excellence Mag in the mail yesterday. That's YOUR supercharger buddy!

Woo hoo! "Fastest narrow body 997 they've ever tested." You know you bought a thoroughbred!

Old 02-04-2009, 09:15 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
I wouldn't try to save time by pulling the ECU out prior to installing the charger....once your battery is disconnected the top is stuck in this position and will not allow you room to open the trunk lid to work....!
Stacy
Stacy: This comment of course only applies to people installing an SC in a cab, which I expect will be a small proportion of SC installs.
Great photos. Sounds like you're almost there!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)