997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:45 PM
hjacobs2000 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Stacy: This comment of course only applies to people installing an SC in a cab, which I expect will be a small proportion of SC installs.
Great photos. Sounds like you're almost there!
Maybe .... not so small

Old 02-04-2009, 02:13 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer007
PROPS to you Stacey!

I was brought up as a DIY mech having rebuilt a Javlin AMX, Mustang GT and helped on dads vette. It really makes me feel good to see people out there continuing to tackle projects like this.

When I picked up my first pcar last year people asked if I was concerned about maint costs. My answer to them was no way, still gonna DIY. At which point they thought I was nuts. I explained to them 2 things: One our cars are race designed and therefore designed for maint. Second the amount of DIY information available to me is incredible.

To me this has been one of the greatest contributions the internet has brought to the modern world. The amount of information available for us is 1000x more then a Chilton book could ever provide to our previous generations.

I would love to do this mod at some point in the future. Thank you so much for the great writeup on your project. I expect to see some youtube videos of this car running soon!!!!
Great Post!

I just spent the last two days under my 98 M3 replacing bushings! What a pain! I felt like giving up more than once but with a little patience and care I was able to get the job done and I saved hundreds over what the dealer or private shop would have cost. The best part, the knowledge that the parts are installed correctly and with care.

My 997S is already racking up an expensive mods list and in the future I plan do the majority of them myself. I have to say from experience, if you want a certain amount of care and precision with your mod installs, you need to do them yourself. I think this attitude comes from me being a little bit of perfectionist. I wish I had done my exhaust install myself....although GMG does excellent work.

May be tackling a Supercharger install myself sometime in the distant future!

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 02-04-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:09 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Stacy: This comment of course only applies to people installing an SC in a cab, which I expect will be a small proportion of SC installs.
Great photos. Sounds like you're almost there!
Yeah I thought I would warn the Cab owners about removing the ECU...a coupe is NO problem and would be the first thing I do(to save time).

And yes Ken I am there(light at the end of the tunnel),LOL.
Gonna wash and clean all the underbody panels and bolt them back on,along with the bumpers this weekend!
Wait for my ECU to come back from VF.Once installed,fire it up(bad word..I mean START),let it warm up and then take it for a lesiure drive working the boost up to be sure all hoses are connected properly(advice from IAPorscheDoc),give her a quick look-over and THEN go out and 'MASH' that pedal,I am gonna push that gas pedal through the floor boards,LOL!!!
Probably not....

Originally Posted by JEllis
Great Post!
May be tackling a Supercharger install myself sometime in the distant future!

Jason
Jason,
Do it !
It is a nerve racking experience but well worth it so far!
The support from everyone is overwhelming,something you will experience installing the charger or doing any other major mod.
There are a few people here that I owe 'HUGE' for their help/advice and quite sure they would have hepled anybody in my shoes!
For that I am sincerely grateful and hopefully,I will have the chance to help somebody,liked they helped me(something that these forums are all about)!

I have NOT ONE COMPLAINT !
I already feel differently about/towards my car.
I was afraid to touch this car 'mechanically' when I bought it,but now I am very comfortable with working on it!
To describe the exact feeling I got by doing this,I couldn't even begin to put into words!

Stacy

Old 02-07-2009, 06:50 AM
FLpaindoc is a jewel in the roughFLpaindoc is a jewel in the roughFLpaindoc is a jewel in the rough
Great job!!!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:36 AM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Justatoy,

Be advised the miles per gallon and miles to go computer will be inaccurate. The GIAC programming does not take into account the larger diameter fuel injectors. Sean said they would be working on that programming but it may take a while.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:04 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FLpaindoc
Great job!!!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
Justatoy,

Be advised the miles per gallon and miles to go computer will be inaccurate. The GIAC programming does not take into account the larger diameter fuel injectors. Sean said they would be working on that programming but it may take a while.
Thanks,I never look at that function anyway.I always go by the needle!

Here is what I am working on right now while I wait for my ECU to come back.

Oil Catch Can:

This is still in the 'building stage'.I need to have two bungs welded on,one line in and one out.On my car I will NOT be running the line out back to the intake.

Three piece design.The base is machined with a friction so that the cap and can will not move.Once place together looks like a solid piece.

Hard to see but the cap is threaded to the can so that all you do is lift it out,unscrew the cap,empty and clean.No need to disconnect any lines.We are also going to machine in an o-ring in the cap to be sure of a tight seal.
I am also going to fill it with fuel filter foam to help trap the oily vapour.

I will post more pics once I get further along.

Last edited by justatoy; 02-07-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:17 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
You can also eliminate ever having to drain the can by tapping into the hose you installed for the oil return line for the SC.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
very nice!

Here is my catch can.....

Old 02-08-2009, 07:22 PM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
freaking COOL!!!!

nice touch

Old 02-08-2009, 08:57 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silver_6r
freaking COOL!!!!

nice touch
+1, Stacy, you are taking this project to another level with your attention to detail.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Redridge,
Neat looking piece!
I noticed you ran a return line.
Did you put anything inside the can to hep with trapping the oil?
What are the outside dimensions of that 'can'?
How fast does it fill,if at all?
What did you use for sight glass?
Does the the joint where the glass mounts leak at all?
I do not think that I am going to put a sight glass on mine as I figure it will be so easy to check,(the hoses will not need to be removed to be cleaned).
Wow,I am glad I decided to do it....I didn't think anyone had one as nobody said anything about it!
Any other little tid-bits you guys are hiding,LOL!
Any water-injection ideas(for safety)?

Stacy

PS you guys amaze me!

Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 AM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
the sight tube looks like teflon tubing...i can get you some if you need it....no charge!! i can also "borrow" the bits to build it....

Old 02-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Video

see below...

Originally Posted by justatoy
Redridge,
Neat looking piece! Thanks
I noticed you ran a return line.... Yeah, its mostly gas thats going in there...
Did you put anything inside the can to hep with trapping the oil? no, the way the can is design, oil cant cross over from the inlet/outlet bungs... and as for draining, it has a drain screw on the bottom.
What are the outside dimensions of that 'can'? maybe 3X5 inches, its small...
How fast does it fill,if at all? Ive used it maybe 1.5K miles havent drained it yet... though the real test is at the track... this is the main reason why I put it in.... I tend to fill my oil all the way to the top, but I find oil in the intercooler (maybe because of codensation, not sure) at very agressive driving.
What did you use for sight glass? correct, high press plastic air/hose tubing... no leaks.
Does the the joint where the glass mounts leak at all? none
I do not think that I am going to put a sight glass on mine as I figure it will be so easy to check,(the hoses will not need to be removed to be cleaned).
Wow,I am glad I decided to do it....I didn't think anyone had one as nobody said anything about it!... you'd be suprised what people are doing to this kit... liquid injection for cooling, temp monitors for water pump failure, boost gauges... custom intercooler brackets... manual on/off engine fan..... all sorts of stuff
Any other little tid-bits you guys are hiding,LOL! can't give it all away.... ask 1999Porsche911, he's mod his to go faster than a stage 1 turbo
Any water-injection ideas(for safety)?... its not necessary for street, but on track its a diff story... especially if youre behind a car for a long time (insufficient air to the front air exchanger)...

Stacy

PS you guys amaze me! Welcome to the club!

Last edited by Redridge; 02-10-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Sorry,just got a little excited!

All parts will be here for the weekend,or a suppose to be,to finish this off!
Just received confirmation that VF has programmed the ECU and aske me how I want it shipped.......OVERNIGHT I replied,LOL!
Hopefully car will be on the ground early next week!

Stacy

PS Redridge I would 'kill' to be in the same club as you guys,LOL!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Go Stacy go! I expect you'll top 10,000 views before this is over.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)