997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by silk
SPENT MANY HOURS COMMUNICATING WITH ME !
That's a joke !! On 4/16, I emailed you my 'part list' asking for the missing radiator adaptors and plugs, NO REPLY !
Then I got Nik Saran @ VF email me on 4/28, I asked again for the missing parts and NO REPLY as usual. I sent another email on 5/6 to Nik Saran @VF to ask for reply, as usual - NOTHING again.
That is customer service, may be I'm not considered as a customer of VF because I buy from RPM North group buy.
My car has been sitting at the mechanic shop for 1+ month waiting for clear instruction reply, I was lucky to have a good mechanic who got it done without any help from VF.
i had rpm north do my install and im not to happy with them at all!!!!! i had to take it to another guy to fix rpm north mistakes! cost me so much money to install this kit!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:32 PM
paul w. is infamous around these parts
My brother is considering having a supercharger kit installed on his 997, can u guys list the pros and cons of the kit? Also he was going to have RPM North install the kit, what didn't they install right and where would u guys recommend he gets the kit installed? Any information would be great, Thanks!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:41 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
SPENT MANY HOURS COMMUNICATING WITH ME !
That's a joke !! On 4/16, I emailed you my 'part list' asking for the missing radiator adaptors and plugs, NO REPLY !
Then I got Nik Saran @ VF email me on 4/28, I asked again for the missing parts and NO REPLY as usual. I sent another email on 5/6 to Nik Saran @VF to ask for reply, as usual - NOTHING again.
That is customer service, may be I'm not considered as a customer of VF because I buy from RPM North group buy.
My car has been sitting at the mechanic shop for 1+ month waiting for clear instruction reply, I was lucky to have a good mechanic who got it done without any help from VF.
Originally Posted by jstrat85
i had rpm north do my install and im not to happy with them at all!!!!! i had to take it to another guy to fix rpm north mistakes! cost me so much money to install this kit!
Sorry to hear of your problems.....too bad!
I have no serious issues at all and what I thought may be an issue can be seen here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ercharger.html

But after a few checks by a qualified shop,it has been confirmed that my install is GOOD!

Originally Posted by paul w.
My brother is considering having a supercharger kit installed on his 997, can u guys list the pros and cons of the kit? Also he was going to have RPM North install the kit, what didn't they install right and where would u guys recommend he gets the kit installed? Any information would be great, Thanks!!!
There seem to be a few issues here and there but if installed correctly it is OK!
I do find that the charger DOES hit my declid,leaving a small mark but nothing too bad.
VF claims 100's of kits sold!
Mine is the first generation and doesn't make the same boost(4 psi) as the latest version(they claim 6 psi) but to solve that problem I have ordered two smaller pulleys(more boost).
We will see !

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 05-06-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:50 PM
silk is infamous around these partssilk is infamous around these parts
Hi Stacy,
Do you mean you have smaller pulleys than the existing pulleys in the V3 system ? If so, you are making more boost than 6 psi ?
Did you also install any gauge to monitor the SC system ? I'm trying to find intake air temperature gauge (place after the inter-cooler) to know the how cool the air is & a pressure gauge (around the same place at the temp gauge) to monitor no leaks.

Actually the VF system is quite alright (but their instruction if for manual transmission only, mine is Tip- which I think should sell at a lower price, since no radiator is supplied) but can do with better labeling of the water pipes.

How often you change SC oil and do you know if can use Mobile 1 ? I'm sure VF will not supply the SC oil to me for making a 'bad post' !

Are you using stock Porsche spark plugs ? need to widen the gap ?

Thank you and sorry about so many questions,
silk

Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 PM
My mechanic did something (on the engine mount, I didn't ask specifically) to raise the engine, so the SC unit won't hit the car frame. But now the plastic unit (right after the SC unit) is rubbing on the engine cover, need to cut more off (or just take out the whole bottom plate on the engine cover) !

Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by paul w.
long story, just go to protosport in nj!!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:26 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Hi Stacy,
Do you mean you have smaller pulleys than the existing pulleys in the V3 system ? If so, you are making more boost than 6 psi ?
Did you also install any gauge to monitor the SC system ? I'm trying to find intake air temperature gauge (place after the inter-cooler) to know the how cool the air is & a pressure gauge (around the same place at the temp gauge) to monitor no leaks.

How often you change SC oil and do you know if can use Mobile 1 ? I'm sure VF will not supply the SC oil to me for making a 'bad post' !

Are you using stock Porsche spark plugs ? need to widen the gap ?

Thank you and sorry about so many questions,
silk
I have a Version 1 charger.....it has an oil supply line to/from the motor.
I am going to try and make close to the 6 psi claimed
I bought a hand held gauge and t-eed it in to the bypass valve line which attaches to the throttle body vacuum adapter.My reading was 3.8 psi which seems low but after $100's spent with a shop local to me we found out there is NO boost/vacuum leak.I also went to Vortech's site and found out that the newer version with all the same size pulleys as mine spins the impeller faster,which means yours probably will make more boost that mine.How much?....no idea!
I am using stock plugs and gapped as from the factory!
Your questions are NO problem...you should see how many questions I ask behind the scenes,LOL!!!!!
There are a few individuals here on 6speed and beyond that are extremely knowledgable with this system!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 05-06-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:15 AM
Hi guys,
Just like to give credit to Nik Saran (Head of R&D in VF), who sent me a reply and gave me help on sourcing the supercharger oil and suggesting to get 1 heat range cooler spark plugs - because my engine had miss fired at track (at 7,000rpm and engine oil temp 110 degrees) also I was using lousy Chinese #98 gas and old spark plugs. Except the miss fire, I had fun time on Shanghai F1 track and car can keep up with F430 on the long straight !
All being said, I am happy with the performance of the VF supercharger. Will look for air temperature & pressure gauges, then can monitor the SC system for maximum performance.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:17 AM
Thanks Stacy, I meet a few very nice guys who helped me and gave me valuable suggestions. Thank you SOoooo Much !!!

Old 05-09-2009, 05:58 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Hi guys,
Just like to give credit to Nik Saran (Head of R&D in VF), who sent me a reply and gave me help on sourcing the supercharger oil and suggesting to get 1 heat range cooler spark plugs - because my engine had miss fired at track (at 7,000rpm and engine oil temp 110 degrees) also I was using lousy Chinese #98 gas and old spark plugs. Except the miss fire, I had fun time on Shanghai F1 track and car can keep up with F430 on the long straight !
All being said, I am happy with the performance of the VF supercharger. Will look for air temperature & pressure gauges, then can monitor the SC system for maximum performance.

If you are experiencing misfire only at high rpm, check your plug gap. Reducing the gap a little will insure a complete firing at high engine speeds. You should also be running copper core plugs and not platinum.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi 1999Porsche911,
Thank you very much for your suggestion.
I replaced the spark plugs with new Porsche OEM, I noticed the old plugs are covered with dark orange hard coating - my mechanic said this is common with China's bad fuel and I need to add Porsche fuel additive in order to prevent it (no way to remove the old ones). I don't have another chance to try out the car until July track day.

silk

Old 05-11-2009, 08:51 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Hi guys,
good to hear you got everything worked out and had your car in time for the F1 track.. tell us more about how you car compared to others on the track? get any nice runs with the GT3?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi Jason,
There were only 6 other cars
- GTR-35, stock. It is the first time this guy goes on track. Faster than my car, especially in rain.
- GTR-34, complete tricked to 700+ horsepower, the guy races in Macao. Just too fast, can pass me any time he wants
- Maserati GTS, stock 440bhp & heavy, I have no problem follow & pass.
- new 997GT3-RS, much better handling than mine, I can't catch up.
- F430 convertible, I manage to follow
- 997tt with Cargraphic exhaust & Werks airbox, I can't catch up at all, smoke me in 2-3 turns !!

Old 05-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Can anyone help to advice which spark plugs to use for supercharged 997s ?
Much thanks,
silk

Old 05-27-2009, 07:19 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Can anyone help to advice which spark plugs to use for supercharged 997s ?
Much thanks,
silk

Don't know the stock plugs for your car, but swap them out for copper core plugs with 1 or 2 ground electrodes. Copper is the best plug for heat dissipation and the fewer number of ground electrodes, the easier it is to adjust the gap if needed. Optimum gap is as large as possible without missing at maximum engine load and rpm's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)