997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:13 AM
911 James is infamous around these parts
Awesome to see all this info on the supercharger install. Mine should be hear in a couple days and this info will help a lot. Headers and exhaust are going on tomorrow while I wait.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:22 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
Took it for a brief rip tonight.......

How did it go???.....A TON QUICKER,my gosh...a NEW car and how it should perform!
I think it mat be making some serious power now...smaller pulley and free'r flowing exhaust(AWE high flow cats added).
IT pulled like MAD.....that is until I shredded a belt,spaghetti anyone?...LOL!
The smaller pulley I used had a a couple of small 'nicks' in it...tried to clean them up but still had doubts the belt would survive.I guess I was right!
Also this rev limiter REALLY sucks.There is so much top end still left in it when the rev limiter kicks in....I wish I could bump the limiter another 500 or so RPM!
Anyway,
Thank goodness for the pull-out on the road RIGHT where it happened!
Shut the car down right away!

SO.....call a tow truck...$122.00 later,car is at home...here we go again!
I have another size pulley(bit bigger than the smallest pulley) here and a belt that will work so I will give them a try NOW!

Stacy

Let the games begin!
Glad to hear that you are getting the results that you were expecting. When you blow a belt, does it do any damage?

Old 08-18-2009, 02:07 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Glad to hear that you are getting the results that you were expecting. When you blow a belt, does it do any damage?
Hey Ed,
Yes it was running amazing last night before that happened!

As far as losing the belt......you can actually drive your car without a belt for a brief distance....just as long as it is COLD.....without a belt YOU WILL eventually over-heat!
I had a pull-out right where it happened....so not much running after!

But the belt was obliterated,LOL!!!

I did manage to remove the supercharger,install new pulley and re-install in 1.5 hours!
Amazing how much faster the install is when you make/have a few custom built tools.

Maybe tonight we will have another go!!!

Stacy

Old 08-18-2009, 02:24 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Stacy: I'm surprised that with the extra performance you detected when using the smaller pulley, you didn't just fabricate a new one that wouldn't chew up belts. Glad to hear that all your practice, along with custom tools, allows you to do these things quickly now. I suggest you be the western Canada rep.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Stacy: I'm surprised that with the extra performance you detected when using the smaller pulley, you didn't just fabricate a new one that wouldn't chew up belts. Glad to hear that all your practice, along with custom tools, allows you to do these things quickly now. I suggest you be the western Canada rep.
+1 to that, I'd buy from you...

Cheers
Aaron

Old 08-18-2009, 02:30 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
NAH Ken,

As you know..this is a hobby that I sometimes enjoy...turn it into a job and forget about it!

FYI just ordered ANOTHER even smaller pulley 2 minutes ago......Oh BOY!

Also the wife expressed concern this morning!

She said she has NEVER seen me smile when MY car has come home on a tow truck,LOL!!!

I said YEAH but it went SOOO GOOD!!! and laughed my a$$ off !!!

Last edited by justatoy; 08-18-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:56 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Your a nut bar Stacy!

Old 08-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Former Vendor
StuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to behold
Amazing work and presentation.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Your a nut bar Stacy!
Thanks Ed....exactly how I think of you too,LOL!!

Originally Posted by StuartsPNB
Amazing work and presentation.
Thanks...it has been a very rewarding project car!

Finally managed to get time today to take her for another 'rip' with a new pulley.....smaller than the one supplied by VF but larger than the last one I tried.

Ran good,NO problems!
Funny you watch the boost build,which seems to start happening at around 4500 RPM,it builds and builds and them spikes RIGHT at the top of the RPM range.
So to build more boost low down I ordered the smallest diameter pulley that I would be willing to try.I will then build waaay more boost mid range and short shift the top!
Now I am waiting on the smallest pulley.....next weekend hopefully!
I also tried to book the dyno that I used last time...it is booked for a project for 4 months so I can't get an exact comparison for you guys!

Stacy

Old 09-02-2009, 04:49 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Stacy,

What size pulleys are you using and with what size Gatorback belt?

Old 09-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
Stacy,

What size pulleys are you using and with what size Gatorback belt?
******Please understand*******

For changing the pulley size you will need to do some re-tuning...it IS NOT as easy as swapping just the pulley!
I have had an amazing teacher,who taught me a ton about how all of this stuff works as well as understanding all of the data I logged from my Durametric software!
It has taken a ton of phone calls,a few dollars,alot of time and some would say 'GUTS' to do this!
I call it stupidity,LOL!!

I am using a 3.6" pulley right now with the same belt that was supplied in the VF kit..for any pulley smaller than that you probably will need to shorten the belt!
I have tried a 3.48" pulley and have just received a 3.4" TODAY!
Just not sure I will be trying the 3.4" now.....I have received an offer on the car AS-IS and not sure I should pull it apart,spend all the time tuning it,to try the new/smaller pulley since the car could be sold!
IF the deal falls through,you better believe it will be going on,LOL!
I still have to measure what belt I will need with that new pulley!

Stacy

Old 09-02-2009, 05:59 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
My kit came with a 3.8 pulley and I am going to install a 3.6 soon. You say "re-tuning"? Meaning what exactly? Are you "retuning" the GIAC coding? If so, using what programming?

Old 09-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
My kit came with a 3.8 pulley and I am going to install a 3.6 soon. You say "re-tuning"? Meaning what exactly? Are you "retuning" the GIAC coding? If so, using what programming?
You may be fine JUST changing the pulley,not sure on that though!
I have done nothing with the GIAC tuning other than that what I received with the VF kit.
Changing it to a 3.6" should get you another 30 or so hp!

I can't really get into details because each car is individual.I am also grateful THAT the fellow who taught me HAS NEVER volunteered the info to anybody...from what I have been told!
I know he spent the better part of 2 years trying different things and countless miles of tuning/driving to get to this point!
And HIS car IS NOT a 997...that is where I came in....guinea pig,LOL!
So I really don't want to betray his trust or hard work !
I have been asked "why me" by a few.....
I asked him once why he did trust me...he just replied because you are not afraid to do it and you don't seem to be afraid of doing things like this!

I also had to buy the Durametric program or one that would equivelant for data logging.I personally have probably over 3 monthss invested,a tow truck ride(for a shredded serpintine belt) and countless sleepless nights,in doing this,LOL!
I also believe you should also run a high flow cat...I run the AWE's!

This kind info has to be worth something as a kit...who wouldn't want to add another 50,60 or more HP to their supercharger kit for a small bit of money after-all we spends thousands to make 30 HP,LOL!
VF build the kit to be reliable and work for everyone,we have just modified it a bit and found out it worked for us,LOL!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 09-02-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:28 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by justatoy
You may be fine JUST changing the pulley,not sure on that though!
I can't really get into details because each car is individual.I am also grateful THAT the fellow who taught me HAS NEVER volunteered the info to anybody...from what I have been told!
I know he spent the better part of 2 years trying different things and countless miles of tuning/driving to get to this point!
And HIS car IS NOT a 997...that is where I came in....guinea pig,LOL!
So I really don't want to betray his trust or hard work !
I have been asked "why me" by a few.....
I asked him once why he did trust me...he just replied because you are not afraid to do it and you don't seem to be afraid of doing things like this!

I guess building my own bodykit and installing my own charger tends to lead people to think that maybe I am kinda crazy.....but have the tenacity to pull this crap off!
Besides IF everyone had this info I wouldn't be quick anymore,LOL!

This kind info has to be worth something as a kit...who wouldn't want to add another 50,60 or more HP for a bit of money after-all we spends thousands to make 30 HP,LOL!
VF build the kit to be reliable and work for everyone,we have just modified it a bit,LOL!

Stacy
If I am not mistaken, VF currently has a Stage 2 upgrade in the works. Have you talked to them about it?

Jason

Old 09-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by JEllis
If I am not mistaken, VF currently has a Stage 2 upgrade in the works. Have you talked to them about it?

Jason
That has been in the works for a while!
I have heard,from someone NOT at VF, that you may need a bigger fuel pump!
But I am not sure myself.......

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 09-02-2009 at 07:37 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)