997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by justatoy
That has been in the works for a while!
I have heard,from someone NOT at VF, that you may need a bigger fuel pump!
But I am not sure myself.......

Stacy
Either way it should be exciting to see where they take their kit.

Thinking about picking up a used one myself. One of our mutual friends made me an offer. Reliability issues has me concerned and sitting on the fence right now.

Jason

Old 09-02-2009, 07:46 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry Stacy but I am raising the BS flag here.

First you caution that changing the pulley size requires "re-tuning". Then you state we might be fine changing the pulley, you are not sure.

Of course you can't go into any details because the fellow that taught you HAS NEVER volunteered the info to anybody... from what you have been told. he has spent 2 yrs trying different things and tuning but his car IS NOT a 997 so you can't betray his trust or hard work! ???

WTF- That makes no sense!

For what it's worth, I don't think you are crazy for installing the SC. It's designed for just that. Folks that have the time and some mechanical knowledge to do just that. I would suspect that most on this board are college educated have very specialized jobs and could in fact install one of these if they so desired.)

But back to this specific thread though.
I have another question for you.

Without giving away any of your friends secrets, did you or did you not re-flash the DME with different coding from the GIAC coding when you installed the smaller pulleys? If not did the car run fine in your opinion?

I will install the 3.6 pulley next week and will then comment on my experience with the EVOMS GIAC coding that was meant for the kit.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:56 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
I new it wouldn't be long before someone would attack.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:58 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
Sorry Stacy but I am raising the BS flag here.

First you caution that changing the pulley size requires "re-tuning". Then you state we might be fine changing the pulley, you are not sure.

Of course you can't go into any details because the fellow that taught you HAS NEVER volunteered the info to anybody... from what you have been told. he has spent 2 yrs trying different things and tuning but his car IS NOT a 997 so you can't betray his trust or hard work! ???

WTF- That makes no sense!

For what it's worth, I don't think you are crazy for installing the SC. It's designed for just that. Folks that have the time and some mechanical knowledge to do just that. I would suspect that most on this board are college educated have very specialized jobs and could in fact install one of these if they so desired.)

But back to this specific thread though.
I have another question for you.

Without giving away any of your friends secrets, did you or did you not re-flash the DME with different coding from the GIAC coding when you installed the smaller pulleys? If not did the car run fine in your opinion?

I will install the 3.6 pulley next week and will then comment on my experience with the EVOMS GIAC coding that was meant for the kit.
I already mentioned to you,if you read the post above(2nd line)...
I did not reflash the GIAC that came with the kit.
So PLEASE do not insult me with the BS comment!
I didn't post this to 'tick' you off!
I am just talking about the things I have done without getting into details and possibly betraying someones trust and/or someones lively hood!
But please post your results!

Stacy

Old 09-02-2009, 08:24 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
1999-

My post was not an attack. Simply raising the BS flag. Did you not catch the obvious contradictions in Stacy's post?
I am simply looking for real information since I am also going to install a smaller pulley myself. ( I am going from a 3.8 to a 3.6 and changing to a smaller Gatorback belt.)

I recommend we keep this thread on factual first hand information and experience. I believe at some point too small of a pulley will probably require a re-flash of the coding or a discovery that there is not enough fuel flow for a proper air/fuel mixture.
If Stacy has already gone two-three smaller pulley sizes and he has not had to do a re-flash, that is valuable information for me and other wanting to speed up the impeller.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:26 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
1999-

My post was not an attack. Simply raising the BS flag. Did you not catch the obvious contradictions in Stacy's post?
I am simply looking for real information since I am also going to install a smaller pulley myself. ( I am going from a 3.8 to a 3.6 and changing to a smaller Gatorback belt.)

I recommend we keep this thread on factual first hand information and experience. I believe at some point too small of a pulley will probably require a re-flash of the coding or a discovery that there is not enough fuel flow for a proper air/fuel mixture.
If Stacy has already gone two-three smaller pulley sizes and he has not had to do a re-flash, that is valuable information for me and other wanting to speed up the impeller.
Offer him $1,000 for the info. I am sure he will have you sign a non disclosure, too.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:55 PM
cakasa is infamous around these parts
Can the Tiptronic tranny handle the additional torque of a VF Supercharger? I read that a SC would cause an early death for the Tip. What say you Stacy?

Old 09-02-2009, 09:29 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
1999-

Sorry I left you with the thought I was BS'ing you.
But I am not..I can tell you that I ran a bit lean with the 3.6" pulley with the original VF kit and this according to my O2 sensors and timing that I logged on my Durametric program.

I DO NOT want to be responsible for a fellow member grenading a motor because of my trials.....
Again,you may be fine just changing the pulley,no arguement here,but I do not know the longevity of that pulley on the motor with the settings of VF's kit!

VF built the kit the way they did for a reason!

If you feel the desire to post your findings THAT everything is good with the 3.6" pulley,I request you do it in your own thread as I do not WANT to be responsible IF something does happen to a fellow 6speeders motor..this can be your tribulation....
This thread is meant to be a positive one of my adventure during the install and was posted at the time to stimulate sales for VF so that people who are somewhat handy CAN do this install themselves and SAVE some money!
I just chose to modify it!
Now I wish I would NEVER had posted that I did change the pulley,I just wanted to give my fellow 6 speeders something entertaining to read!
Sometimes things are just not worth posting!
Should of kept my mouth shut,lesson learned...SORRY!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 09-02-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by cakasa
Can the Tiptronic tranny handle the additional torque of a VF Supercharger? I read that a SC would cause an early death for the Tip. What say you Stacy?
I cannot answer this as I do not have the answer!
Ask Sean@VF..I am sure he will be more than happy to offer you info!

Stacy

Old 09-02-2009, 09:39 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Stacy: Don't worry about a few critical posts. A few of them out of over 25000 hits on this thread means nothing.

I think most of us enjoyed this whole series for what it was (as you described above). We were able to live vicariously through your experience and enjoyed your enthusiasm and resourcefulness. There is nothing to stop anyone else from doing the same digging as you did to push the envelope a little (?). You never suggested that you were an expert, you only shared your learning experience. It is unfortunate that some people have started to lean on you as if you have some kind of obligation to provide detailed technical information and advice. You're right in directing them to folks like VF to get it from proper source, since some of us know that you're half crazy anyway.

Don't stop sharing your experiences and experiments. You're sure not the only crazy person on this forum!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:37 PM
No Stacy what you should do is reread my original post and our posts following that.
Here is mine:
Stacy,
What size pulleys are you using and with what size Gatorback belt?

Your response: ******Please understand*******
For changing the pulley size you will need to do some re-tuning...it IS NOT as easy as swapping just the pulley!
After an additional query from me you state:
You may be fine JUST changing the pulley, not sure on that though! (Emphasis mine.)
I have done nothing with the GIAC tuning other than that what I received with the VF kit.
Changing it to a 3.6" should get you another 30 or so hp!

This is the reason for the BSing comment. You contradict yourself. First “re-tuning” will need to be done. Then later, you may be fine and after all, you did not, “re-tune” and are using the stock GIAC coding. We all read this thread for information. I was asking you what size pulleys you were using with what belts. You are not, “responsible” for anything I do to my car and anything you mention about your work is just another data point.
You later said,
“I can tell you that I ran a bit lean with the 3.6" pulley with the original VF kit and this according to my O2 sensors and timing that I logged on my Durametric program.”
That’s good information to know. Can you expound on that? Can you define a bit lean? What was the air/fuel ratio?
“Should of kept my mouth shut,lesson learned...SORRY!”
Again another huge overreaction on your part. Throttle back jack. Kind of like you are PMSing. I like many of the others here are simply looking at your factual findings. If you don’t want to discuss them for some propriety reason simply state that.
I have other questions also but if you don’t want to answer them that’s fine. I just ask that if you do, make the response factual and include the basis for the answer.
(If you ran lean with the 3.6 pulley you will certainly be leaner with an even smaller pulley. How will you account for that? Re-coding? Alcohol injection? Or, are you willing to accept running lean to a certain extent?)

Old 09-03-2009, 05:51 AM
hjacobs2000 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cakasa
I had my VF-EVOMS supercharged tiptronic for 4 years and it worked flawlessly

Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Stacy: Don't worry about a few critical posts. A few of them out of over 25000 hits on this thread means nothing.

I think most of us enjoyed this whole series for what it was (as you described above). We were able to live vicariously through your experience and enjoyed your enthusiasm and resourcefulness. There is nothing to stop anyone else from doing the same digging as you did to push the envelope a little (?). You never suggested that you were an expert, you only shared your learning experience. It is unfortunate that some people have started to lean on you as if you have some kind of obligation to provide detailed technical information and advice. You're right in directing them to folks like VF to get it from proper source, since some of us know that you're half crazy anyway.

Don't stop sharing your experiences and experiments. You're sure not the only crazy person on this forum!
Thanks Ken!

I still think you should install that charger you have on your car OR buy another car and charge it!
My offer still stands for you....but I think you now that!?

Stacy

Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
No Stacy what you should do is reread my original post and our posts following that.
Here is mine:
Stacy,
What size pulleys are you using and with what size Gatorback belt?

Your response: ******Please understand*******
For changing the pulley size you will need to do some re-tuning...it IS NOT as easy as swapping just the pulley!
After an additional query from me you state:
You may be fine JUST changing the pulley, not sure on that though! (Emphasis mine.)
I have done nothing with the GIAC tuning other than that what I received with the VF kit.
Changing it to a 3.6" should get you another 30 or so hp!

This is the reason for the BSing comment. You contradict yourself. First “re-tuning” will need to be done. Then later, you may be fine and after all, you did not, “re-tune” and are using the stock GIAC coding. We all read this thread for information. I was asking you what size pulleys you were using with what belts. You are not, “responsible” for anything I do to my car and anything you mention about your work is just another data point.
You later said,
“I can tell you that I ran a bit lean with the 3.6" pulley with the original VF kit and this according to my O2 sensors and timing that I logged on my Durametric program.”
That’s good information to know. Can you expound on that? Can you define a bit lean? What was the air/fuel ratio?
“Should of kept my mouth shut,lesson learned...SORRY!”
Again another huge overreaction on your part. Throttle back jack. Kind of like you are PMSing. I like many of the others here are simply looking at your factual findings. If you don’t want to discuss them for some propriety reason simply state that.
I have other questions also but if you don’t want to answer them that’s fine. I just ask that if you do, make the response factual and include the basis for the answer.
(If you ran lean with the 3.6 pulley you will certainly be leaner with an even smaller pulley. How will you account for that? Re-coding? Alcohol injection? Or, are you willing to accept running lean to a certain extent?)
I know a little bit of what Stacy did to "Re tune" his setup, based on a few telephone conversations that we had about his project. There is no BS, he has done things to his set up that I would believe off the radar and he has come to this point is based on his conversations with another person that has gone through this process, as well as a little, well maybe a lot of trial and error. I have not been involved in the SC project anymore then any of the rest of the people reading this thread, but I will tell you suggesting that some one is full of BS is probably not the best way to get Stacy or his contact to help you if you decide to go down this road. I am disappointed that Stacy sold his car, as I was wondering how he was going to top this project, but perhaps he will go and build a new rocket booster for the space shuttle and post so DIY pics on the NASA forum.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:33 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sean@VF
Really? A common problem? 200+ other customers have not complained of this to date. Maybe if the factory mounts are warn, I could see that being an issue.

-Sean
well the three VF kits installed in NY/NJ area all have this problem. so i am assuming your other 200+ customers just haven't noticed yet

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)