997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:09 AM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
NV,

I did not say he was, "full of BS", I said I was raising the BS flag on his contradictory statements. The first being the red "please understand" warning that "re-tuning" would be needed followed by, after more follow up by me, you may be fine, not sure and oh by the way, he did not change the orig GIAC coding. He mentioned his setup ran a little lean with the smaller pulley, I would expect that. The air/fuel ratio does have a range of acceptability so maybe his being a little lean is acceptable.
If he can't discuss what he has done to his vehicle that's fine, I certainly don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with stating a "re-tuning" requirement as fact and then after more questions finding out "'re-tuning" is not actually required. Unless he is trying to say, he did not change the GIAC coding but did something else to deal with the resultant lean mixture. (Adding a smaller pulley simply does one thing; spin the impeller faster resulting in more pressure at a given RPM thus increasing the air into the engine. The engine programming with try to compensate with more fuel to keep the mixture in a defined range. If it cannot compensate with more fuel, ie- there is no more fuel available it will run lean.) If he is trying to say he has figured out how to compensate for this lean mixture without software coding I would be very skeptical unless he is injecting alcohol or added an additional fuel pump for a higher fuel flow capability. (Both been done before on high performance engines and are certainly not a secret.) Personally, I sense there has actually been no secret “re-tuning. But I could be wrong.
For me, I will install a 3.6 Pulley on my car as well as a vacuum/Boost gauge. Following both I will re-dyno and log the A/F ratio, max boost as well as HP/TQ numbers and share the info on this board when complete. We will get to the bottom of this by the end of this month, hopefully.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:49 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
NV,

I did not say he was, "full of BS", I said I was raising the BS flag on his contradictory statements. The first being the red "please understand" warning that "re-tuning" would be needed followed by, after more follow up by me, you may be fine, not sure and oh by the way, he did not change the orig GIAC coding. He mentioned his setup ran a little lean with the smaller pulley, I would expect that. The air/fuel ratio does have a range of acceptability so maybe his being a little lean is acceptable.
If he can't discuss what he has done to his vehicle that's fine, I certainly don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with stating a "re-tuning" requirement as fact and then after more questions finding out "'re-tuning" is not actually required. Unless he is trying to say, he did not change the GIAC coding but did something else to deal with the resultant lean mixture. (Adding a smaller pulley simply does one thing; spin the impeller faster resulting in more pressure at a given RPM thus increasing the air into the engine. The engine programming with try to compensate with more fuel to keep the mixture in a defined range. If it cannot compensate with more fuel, ie- there is no more fuel available it will run lean.) If he is trying to say he has figured out how to compensate for this lean mixture without software coding I would be very skeptical unless he is injecting alcohol or added an additional fuel pump for a higher fuel flow capability. (Both been done before on high performance engines and are certainly not a secret.) Personally, I sense there has actually been no secret “re-tuning. But I could be wrong.
For me, I will install a 3.6 Pulley on my car as well as a vacuum/Boost gauge. Following both I will re-dyno and log the A/F ratio, max boost as well as HP/TQ numbers and share the info on this board when complete. We will get to the bottom of this by the end of this month, hopefully.
Bingo!

I have read all the post very closely, I am amazed at how Stacy claims he is not a mechanic and he has figured this problem out (with some help) and it is very simple. I think what you are suggesting is BS, is Stacy just covering his ***, I am sure that a smaller pulley will work too, but will it work well?

From what I know from Stacy (which is very limited info) there isn't any alcohol injector tricks, it is really quite basic and simple.

You will get more answers with Sugar then you will with Salt.

Perhaps a PM to Stacy is the best approach...he is a very down to earth guy, a bit of a nut bar, but down to earth none the less.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:24 AM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
I seriously doubt a PM would make a difference especially since he does not want to betray a trust, and as I said before, that's fine. I enjoyed reading this thread and seeing Stacy do his own install. Especially while not being a trained mechanic. However I personally do not believe everything that is written here simply because it is in print. I think about things logically and if it seems very questionable I see no reason not to question it. This is a forum and by design expected. I believe there are many cheerleaders on this board that do not question what they read but take it all in as fact.
I've asked simple questions but received questionable answers so I am very skeptical to say the least. That is not to say I am calling Stacy a lair. I just don't personally believe everything I have read. I just doubt he along with his friend have discovered the fix to a lean mixture with out recoding the DME and adding more fuel. Again I could be wrong though. I'm still bummed I did not think about curving shower curtain rods even though I spend almost 1/2 of each month in hotels. So maybe there is some magic new radical fix. If so and he really is on to something he would have been correct in his assessment that he should have kept his mouth shut.

I can't really get into details because each car is individual.I am also grateful THAT the fellow who taught me HAS NEVER volunteered the info to anybody...from what I have been told!
I know he spent the better part of 2 years trying different things and countless miles of tuning/driving to get to this point!
And HIS car IS NOT a 997...that is where I came in....guinea pig,LOL!
So I really don't want to betray his trust or hard work !

Old 09-03-2009, 12:37 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I think that you are absolutely correct, not everything on any internet forum is the truth, and there a few posts in this thread that are not true, but I can only attest to the post I made...Stacy is not really a nut bar!

I still think that you should PM him and see what he says. He has walked a number of people through problems with different installs, and he is just a regular guy that wants to try and figure things out. I think that he has, not based on these threads, based on the none posted conversations I have had with him.

I am not in a position to talk about what he has done, as it is not my knowledge, but is is so simple.

Give it a try, the worst that he could do is tell you no.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:49 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
2006997C4SCab: You stated that what Stacy did is "valuable information". Value comes with a price tag. Don't expect vendors or individuals who spend hours developing something to simply give it away just for asking. I know this is Obama's approach, but most of us are willing to pay for value and reward those who do the heavy lifting.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
2006997C4SCab: You stated that what Stacy did is "valuable information". Value comes with a price tag. Don't expect vendors or individuals who spend hours developing something to simply give it away just for asking. I know this is Obama's approach, but most of us are willing to pay for value and reward those who do the heavy lifting.
Well put!

Old 09-03-2009, 12:58 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S

Give it a try, the worst that he could do is tell you no.

Just my 2 cents.
Stacy will be an angel in a flesh if after such a public attack he will even consider to respond to that PM.

I would not - why the heck for?

Old 09-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Stacy will be an angel in a flesh if after such a public attack he will even consider to respond to that PM.

I would not - why the heck for?
That is just the kind of guy that I think Stacy is. He loves to talk about it, loves to tinker with them, and is always looking for the next project. His only down fall is, he doesn't like to drive them. I tried countless times to get him to the track and try his toy out, not a chance.

I respect his decision, to each there own!

Old 09-03-2009, 02:12 PM

I was not asking for proprietary information or secrets. I asked him what pulleys and belts he was using. (The Vortech website has the available pulleys for the V2 supercharger.) The OEM size for the 997 3.8L S is 3.8. The next size down is a 3.6. (Inches in diameter) No secret or heavy lifting there.
The belt sizes can be found on the Goodyear site. The OEM kit belt is a Gatorback Poly-V 6-rib. 2655. The next smaller size is a 2635. (20mm shorter) no heavy lifting with that info either.
He mentioned running a little lean with the smaller pulley. Makes perfect sense. I asked if he would define how lean. That can't be the heavy lifting question, is it? (He did not get it from a dyno but Durametric software data logging. ( I have that also) The ratio can be also be found at the bottom of the dyno among other ways.

If he does not want to share his experience, which it seems he had been doing up to this point with the install and pulley swaps, fine. I have no problem with that. I just ask that he not throw smoke my way but simply state he can not divulge certain specifics of his work.

I'm pretty certain EVOMS, VF-E and GIAC have a pretty good handle on all the available options to adding more boost and compensating for a leaner AFR. Keep in mind, this forum has pretty much been about sharing of information on the how too's IRT our Porsches, not I've got a secret formula for a better setup told to me by an unidentified guy that has worked on his car for 2 years and not shared any of this with anyone but me because I'm willing to try it and oh by the way, his car is not a 997.I'm really shocked others did not call him out on this.

As for the valuable information comment I made, it was that Stacy was adding a data point. I will do the same when I swap to the 3.6 pulley. That is not to say that the information is worth money anymore than paying him for his idea to add a rubber piece between his jack stands and jack point on his car.

As I said before IF he has some secret on how "re-tune" his car that is not public knowledge than he should keep it to himself and maybe figure out how to market it. However I highly suspect that is not the case here.

Either way, I will make the pulley swap, 3.8 to 3.6, dyno the car and let everyone see what the results are when posted.

In regards to the public attacks claim that is typical Democrat playbook smokescreen. It seems if I disagree with what someone says or show where they contradict themselves in two different posts and raise the BS Flag that is defined as an attack by some of you. First of all, I am not attacking Stacy, I do not know the man. Second however, I seriously question his statements as I have previously outlined.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:59 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
I seriously doubt a PM would make a difference especially since he does not want to betray a trust, and as I said before, that's fine. I enjoyed reading this thread and seeing Stacy do his own install. Especially while not being a trained mechanic. However I personally do not believe everything that is written here simply because it is in print. I think about things logically and if it seems very questionable I see no reason not to question it. This is a forum and by design expected. I believe there are many cheerleaders on this board that do not question what they read but take it all in as fact.
I've asked simple questions but received questionable answers so I am very skeptical to say the least. That is not to say I am calling Stacy a lair. I just don't personally believe everything I have read. I just doubt he along with his friend have discovered the fix to a lean mixture with out recoding the DME and adding more fuel. Again I could be wrong though. I'm still bummed I did not think about curving shower curtain rods even though I spend almost 1/2 of each month in hotels. So maybe there is some magic new radical fix. If so and he really is on to something he would have been correct in his assessment that he should have kept his mouth shut.
I am glad you are not calling me a liar....kind of what I thought at first!
I am also glad you enjoyed reading the thread,that's why I put it up!
I guess I should have kept my mouth shut(agreed),didn't expect someone to react like this in an otherwise 'positive' thread,LOL!

I also like the way,in this post,that you delivered what I call a back handed compliment!!
One of my favorite moves,LOL!

My question to you IS...what does tuning consist of.....?

Hopefully I have not used the wrong terminology......in my use of the word ..."tuning"..!

One day I am sure the info,of what we did,will readily be available from someone...that I am sure of......
BTW...I am not claiming to have re-invented the 'wheel'....however if I could...it too may be a money maker!

A piece of advise for you 2006997C4SCab....save your money on the belt....the belt you are already using will work with that 3.6" pulley....!

That is my advice to you.....I hopefully just saved you a few $$,anyway!

Stacy

PS As far as the shower curtain...yeah too bad..me too..GREAT idea!
Sometimes thinking outside the box has it's benefits.

Last edited by justatoy; 09-04-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:01 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Thought I would chime in here to bring the thread 'BACK' to a positive one!
I have noticed THAT 2006997C4S Cab Has started his own thread on doing the 3.6" pulley and I have posted congrats on his numbers and data he HAS posted.....all I want to say is,after a phone conversation with him last night,he has posted 'WHAT' he has been told by the people he has trusted to do the work on his car and charger!
I hope,now that he has his own thread,he may not raise the BS flag here in my thread becuase he does not know exactly what we did.Especially after the phone conversation we had last night....Thanks for calling BTW!
I hope you understand enough to chase down the info...if you require the urge to get it!

NOW,I have entrusted myself with another source(as many know)....1999Porsche911....! After hours and hours of conversations on the phone and emails(and I mean alot)!
1999(for short),IMO,IS/HAS hands on experience with FI and his Porsche.
I believe he has ran his car for 45000 boosted miles and I mean HIGH boost miles(as much as 9 PSI and that being measured AFTER the throttle body).What kind of boost would that be closer the the charger..I have NO IDEA but substantially more,I am sure!
I have been running the 3.6" pulley for some time,during some hot weather up here(well as hot as it gets anyway,LOL),we did see some 100+ days up here.
I didn't ONLY change the pulley,like posted above,and I have NOT detailed everything I have done for a few reasons:
VF may be working on something for themselves,which IMO,would be a very profitable and or too risky thing for them.If they decide too,so I do not want to infringe on their territory.But remember VF's kit IS built for the masses which needs to work in all situations and be safe,which I feel they have done.
But like everything else..there is always room to live a little further on the edge,which I am doing with HELP from 1999!

So as you can see,1999Porsche911 is the one I have to thank for my success so far and I know 2006997C4S Cab and 1999 are NOT seeing eye to eye right now but......
1999Porsche911,when approached with the right attitude,is very responsive....however he is a hard guy to impress,LOL!

When I built the IC cooler brackets,he was NOT impressed so much and asked why I built them when the tie straps worked fine?!
To be honest,I was kinda offended by his comment but I also realized through numerous posts on this thread,that he knew a bit about this supercharger stuff,so I stuck in there.I pestered him with question after question and before I knew it we talked/talking at LEAST a few times a week!

He spent countless hours researching the internet for the info he has and miles upon miles testing and doing subtle changes to make that tune work for him!
And now for me,via phone 100's of phone conversations and emails.
He HAS explained to me THAT dyno pulls vary soooo much and why,which is why I am NOT on a dyno everytime I change something.
Has he re-invented the wheel...NO....
ALL of the info is out there and HAS been used in other cars....research will tell you all but you do need to dig a bit and think outside the box!

Here is what 1999 has me doing:

Using the SAME stretch of flat road for my test runs
Durametric plugged in
Analog gauge to check boost and vaccuum
3rd gear pull from 3000rpm to rev limiter
and a Stop-watch.

Let me address each of these:
Same stretch of road is so a few of the variables will be elimintaed(keeps things on the same playing field)
Durametric program obviously for data logging engine parameters
Analog gauge to see the amount of boost I am making
3rd gear pull is so you have more time than second gear and less speed than 4th(which you would run out of road fairly quickly)
Stop-watch for checking the results of each pull in 3rd gear,+- a bit of reaction time on your finger pushing the stop-watch button,but being that your foot and hand can co-ordinate these two things relatively simultaneously,doesn't leave much room for error.This way you can check IF you have made any progress(I haven't done much of this because I am not at the final pulley yet).
I worry MOST about what the Durametric says and ultimatel 1999 when he sees the log!

As you can see he has me on a tight leash and has me feeling really good about WHAT we have accomplished so far!
Which is why I post it!
So IMO ALL the info is his and only his to give,hope you guys understand?!
I am NOT trying to make money from this but I also would hate for someone to grenade a motor from my info,which is the other reason ALL the details are not made public.

NOW back to the GOOD stuff!
Yesterday afternnon I got motivated to drop the charger out again and put the smallest pulley I have now...'ON'......3.4"..!
I am nervous on this one(not sure why but..) and will need to go out and do some data logging runs,weather permitting of course,and YES it is raining today...FIGURES!

Stacy

PS sorry for the long winded post.......just thought you guys needed a detailed explanation !

Old 09-22-2009, 06:16 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Can you pm me the basic mods you've done to the blower kit to increase boost?

Old 10-03-2009, 03:59 PM
With the smaller pulley we were maybe thinking THAT my timing was being pulled because of detonation (knock sensor retarding timing).
So I went out today and bought 10 gallons of 103(RM rated) fuel today.....s$#t is this stuff expensive here...10 gallons=$200 !

Did a few runs(4),using the same stretch of road with all of the data logging equipment listed above!
My Gtech spits out(in order):

1st-382RWHP
2nd-390
3rd-399
4th-403.......

I then(with the help of 1999) analyzed my Durametrics and noticed another 7/100ths of a second knocked off of my BEST 4000-7000 rpm time.
So far I have been able to shave this time gradually by over 1/4 sec....in this one RPM range in third gear...so maybe more than a second throughout the whole gear set...who knows,LOL!?
Car has always felt great BUT today it was a very quick car IMO......
Next is too wire the engine fan to a switch so I can run it full time to help cool the engine bay(thanks 1999 for this idea too)!
This winter WILL see me install the water/meth system I bought!!!!
I want 420RWHP according to MY data and NOT a dyno run.....or else,LOL!!

Stacy

PS just got home from a small change and made

414 RWHP BUT frick...couldn't do a back-up run to confirm....way too many people on the roads!

Last edited by justatoy; 10-03-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
That's over 500 crank, hope you get there, Stacy!
CATTMAN

Old 10-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Nice work Stacy, I guess it is staying in your Garage, and not someone else's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)