997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:29 AM
porsche4life has a spectacular aura aboutporsche4life has a spectacular aura aboutporsche4life has a spectacular aura about
great job

Old 01-15-2009, 02:09 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Subscribed. Great thread and nice install so far.

It's interesting how we have the same kit yet a lot of the parts look different as the package evolved.
I think this was one of the first kits out,which I think I remember reading yours was too!
What is different?

Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
amazing work Stacy, keep the pics coming. I like how you used the garage floor as your note pad. Btw, will the plastic zip ties hold up over time?
I believe they are just fine for what they are doing.
The straps are NOT pulled tight just snug to hold things in place.
Stacy

PS Waiting for my overnight delivery to finish off the install

Old 01-16-2009, 10:28 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Well my overnight delivery showed up today with a some parts I needed to continue the install!
So I started to work on the motor part....
In the instructions you need to get to the crank case vent tube buried under the plenum,throttle body and behind the alternator.The instructions say remove the alternator,and throttle body.....I did this but noticed possibly an easier way...I removed the plenum and that made a ton of room.So I wouldn't pull the alternator out and just pull the plenum,on my next install!

Now you need to disconnect the hoses off of the vent tube...not so easy!
These hoses they use are STUCK on!
A helpful hint,something I did,was to take a small screwdriver and pry the hoses ever so slightly(be careful not to poke a hole in it or yourself) and spray a silicone spray on it.This will lube the inside of the hose and allow you to pull it off alot easier!

So I managed to button all that up and found I needed a bigger allen key to get to the oil supply gallery bolt.

I was hoping to have the polished charger in for you guys tonight but it will have to wait until I get that 'Key"'

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 01-16-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:25 PM
pnutty is infamous around these parts
Dont forget to run the nos lines so you can have a lil LOL when you squeeze it =)

amazing amazing work stacy... you are becoming my idol.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by pnutty
Dont forget to run the nos lines so you can have a lil LOL when you squeeze it =)

amazing amazing work stacy... you are becoming my idol.
I TRIED so hard to have that charger in tonight...so close!

Funny you say NOS...I was just looking at water injection systems which also would enable water/meth!
I was told that with water injection,it is like running your car on a cool day even in the heat of summer!
I need info on this so ANYBODY help point me in a direction or Anybody with any knowledge that they could share...I would be really grateful!
I read that every degree of timing that the car pulls out from detonation you lose 10 hp...true or false?
If so wouldn't water injection help stop the car from pulling it out?
I have 94 octane everywhere here in Vancouver Canada and I believe that VF will program my ECU for 91 octane.So with me running 94 will that mean they could get a little more aggressive with the tune?
Or leave it as is and 94 will give me a bit of a safety margin for detonation?

Stacy

PS sorry if some of those questions are 'dumb'...just want to learn!

Last edited by justatoy; 01-16-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:00 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Stacy:

From what I've seen so far as you're not done yet, our water pumps for the IC system are totally different. I've got a big weird looking rectangular thing under there which looks nothing like yours. It's big enough where it may even double as a reservoir. It is my understanding that they've moved all the equipment up front now behind the front bumper on the left.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Stacy... do you have a list of whats been done already and things to do... maybe we can help out if you missed anything or can give tweeks for a certain area.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:11 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Impressive progress Stacy, how many hours have you spent on it?

Old 01-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Impressive progress Stacy, how many hours have you spent on it?
I haven't been keeping track of the time spent,maybe 5 days!
I would love to do another one and actually punch a clock to check time.A few Porsche tech's were very impressed with my time for doing the injectors.
Between posting on the internet while working and phone calls ,it may be less!
Even taking some of the pics take time.
Also,Synergy with the way they pulled the IC lines out of Jared's car and marked them...saved me alot of time as well!
YOU GUYS it really isn't that hard,the instructions that VF give you are great,all I am doing is helping you out where a "common joe" like myself has some issues!
There are a couple of small tools you need to buy but generally you can use a pretty basic tool kit.....as long as you do not have GIANT hands,LOL!
Before starting I read the instructions over and over (probably 10 times)!
The 'BIGGEST' thing is to take your time and 'THINK' things through,if you are struggling 'STOP' go back and read the instructions,read the steps before and after the step you are stuck on.This seemed to helped!
My biggest helpers(as far as tools) are the LED light(won't get hot and melt anything) and that silicone spray(for removing/placing hoses)

The second install will be alot easier and comfortable,knowing how to do the little clips,injectors and general running of the lines!
C'mon Ed,once this is done my garage awaits YOURS,LOL!

Stacy

PS
I am so glad I am doing this....once afraid to wrench on this car,now I have no fear of it!
My next venture...next winter...will be to DROP the motor and tranny out!
I have never done a clutch but may have to try one day when it goes!
This is about the only thing that would make me nervous but with a hoist and an engine cradle,no problem.

Last edited by justatoy; 01-17-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:16 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Maybe we can do a third radiator kit on my car, but I am not looking for more power. If I was going to add the SC, you would be on my speed dial. Stacy, I am sure that you are more then just an average guy. I am certain that a number of the pro's are impressed with you skill and undertanding of the way things work.

Well done.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:30 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Or maybe Stacy is an average guy that isn't as easily intimidated as most of us. (Kidding, he's at least a little above average!).

Find me another good deal, Stacy, and I'll let you time your next install on my car! I figure a marathon weekend should get 'er done, right? I'll hand you the tools and take the photos.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Or maybe Stacy is an average guy that isn't as easily intimidated as most of us. (Kidding, he's at least a little above average!).

Find me another good deal, Stacy, and I'll let you time your next install on my car! I figure a marathon weekend should get 'er done, right? I'll hand you the tools and take the photos.
Careful Ken, Stacy is the kind ofgiy that will call you on an offer like this!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Frustration set in today(only the second time on this install).....had to walk away,LOL!
Trying to align the belt...managed to do it....trying to align the alternator bolt through the bracket....tough and not successful YET!

I need an extra set of hands to wiggle the alternator while I hold the charger and hand start the bolt!
This is a real PITA !
Anyone with a helpful hint I am all EARS !

Stacy

PS At least I know why they charge what they do to do an install!

Last edited by justatoy; 01-18-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by justatoy
You know Ed,not sure I would do it on someone elses car!
I think I would be too worried if something went wrong.

Frustration set in today.....had to walk away,LOL!
Trying to align the belt...managed to do it....trying to align the alternator bolt through the bracket....tough and not successful YET!

I need an extra set of hands to wiggle the alternator while I hold the charger and hand start the bolt!
This is a real PITA !
Anyone with a helpful hint I am all EARS !

Stacy

PS At least I know why they charge what they do to do an install!

Align the alternator in the proper position with bolt in place before bolting compressor on. Make an alignment mark at the pivot point. Remove bolt and keep alternator snug and it makes it easier to mount the unit. Install and hand tighten the right mounting bolt and the top bolt and then pivot alternator and screw in bottom bolt. The method eliminates the need for more than 2 hands.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 01-18-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Align the alternator in the proper position with bolt in place before bolting compressor on. Make an alignment mark at the pivot point. Remove bolt and keep alternator snug and it makes it easier to mount the unit. Install and hand tighten the right mounting bolt and the top bolt and then pivot alternator and screw in bottom bolt.
Thank-you I will give it a try....TOMORROW,LOL!

Stacy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)