997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by justatoy
Frustration set in today(only the second time on this install).....had to walk away,LOL!
Trying to align the belt...managed to do it....trying to align the alternator bolt through the bracket....tough and not successful YET!

I need an extra set of hands to wiggle the alternator while I hold the charger and hand start the bolt!
This is a real PITA !
Anyone with a helpful hint I am all EARS !

Stacy

PS At least I know why they charge what they do to do an install!
I know what you mean about this, make sure you have a lot of slop on the belt... dont loop it on the ac compressor just yet. That alternator is a tight fit... align that first...

Another thing to look out for is the clearance on the bottom of the SC and the frame... it might be hindering alignment...

Old 01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Before you took the alternator bolt out you are supposed to loosen it about a half or full turn then give it a quick bang with a hammer to driver the not of the bolt into the housing. This will give you the free play you need to easily take the alt alternator out and put out and put it back in.

I failed to this when I got my alt out and it was a real PITA to get back in.

If you didn't do this try pushing the nut back into the housing a little bit with a clamp or god forbid a vise grip.

And don't tighten the other mounting bolt until you have to.

Good luck. I am very interested to hear the results of the final product.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:27 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
I was trying to figure out a different way to hold the IC lines(other than with zap ties) and phoned a friend in Phoenix and we came up with an idea!
We still need to machine in the bolt holes which will be stainless cap head bolts but here they are!

They will ELIMINATE the zap ties in this pic!

Cool idea?

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 01-19-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:44 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Neat idea. But wouldn't the heat be transfered to the IC tubing? I don't know what is the heat transfer rate of stainless steel is compared to plastic zip ties?

Originally Posted by justatoy
I was trying to figure out a different way to hold the IC lines(other than with zap ties) and phoned a friend in Phoenix and we came up with an idea!
We still need to machine in the bolt holes which will be stainless cap head bolts but here they are!

They will ELIMINATE the zap ties in this pic!

Cool idea?

Stacy

Old 01-19-2009, 06:51 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 808c2s
Neat idea. But wouldn't the heat be transfered to the IC tubing? I don't know what is the heat transfer rate of stainless steel is compared to plastic zip ties?
They are made out of aluminum so the heat transfer shouldn't be an issue!
Besides if zap ties hold with out melting.......how hot can it be!

Just some of the neat 'trinkets' I like to have to make my car just a bit 'different'...better or not who knows!

But thanks for the compliment.

Stacy

Old 01-19-2009, 07:01 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Looks like a great solution to me. I was a little nervous about those ty-wraps too. The amount of heat transfer would be very small considering the small surface area exposed to those brackets. If heat transfer was a real issue (which I doubt), you could always wrap the hoses in foil insulation. But I seriously doubt it would make any difference to performance of the IC.
I like your attention to detail Stacy. Virtually nobody will see those beautiful brackets, but you'll know they are there.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I think they look good, I agree that heat transfer shouldn't be a big deal.

Well done!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Looks like a great solution to me. I was a little nervous about those ty-wraps too. The amount of heat transfer would be very small considering the small surface area exposed to those brackets. If heat transfer was a real issue (which I doubt), you could always wrap the hoses in foil insulation. But I seriously doubt it would make any difference to performance of the IC.
I like your attention to detail Stacy. Virtually nobody will see those beautiful brackets, but you'll know they are there.
Not only are they cool looking but also functional!
The thing I like the most is knowing that the lines will be held tight and won't chafe!
The shameful thing,like you said Ken,is that nobody will see them!
Except for maybe a Porsche mechanic on service day!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 01-19-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Stacy,

Would something like this work:http://www.stainlessclamp.com/fittin...lasticcoat.htm

It looks like these clamps could be joined side by side.

Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2009, 10:34 PM
That is a good find but there may be some play in those or they may not quite be 'JUST' the right size to work,which may cause chafing.
The ones we have made are to exact specs of the hoses.(both factory coolant lines and IC lines).
Too me nothing better than built to suit.
Once you see them bolted in I think you will approve!
That makes these clamps Porsche specific,LOL,something that this car definately deserves,IMO!
And they really aren't that expensive to make,when your friend has a few C&C's !
I have spent a ton of money to buy the charger and mod my car,at this point I decided not to cut a corner.
I am sure that the ty-straps would work but I am even more positive that these clamps WILL!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 01-20-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:02 PM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
awesome DIY!! cant wait to see this car in person!!

great work

Rod

Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM
mysticalec is infamous around these parts
nice project!
I hope I get a chance to see this in person as well!

Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Those clamps are awesome, bro! Wow.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Both the new lines should be secured better than they appear to be. The line WILL move and they WILL rub against the cross members. If, for some reason (which in reality does not exist) you feel there is a benefit from keeping each hose seperate from each other, don't reinvent the wheel. There are plenty of rubber, foam, plastic, etc, hose seperators available as well as pipe sleeves and grommets. Look at your picture and you will see that there are several installed by Porsche under the car.

More important is to secure the hoses and protect them from chaffing. You can cut a plastic conduit or PVC pipe in half and put it on the hoses above the cross overs and tape them together. Job done.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:46 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Both the new lines should be secured better than they appear to be. The line WILL move and they WILL rub against the cross members. If, for some reason (which in reality does not exist) you feel there is a benefit from keeping each hose seperate from each other, don't reinvent the wheel. There are plenty of rubber, foam, plastic, etc, hose seperators available as well as pipe sleeves and grommets. Look at your picture and you will see that there are several installed by Porsche under the car.

More important is to secure the hoses and protect them from chaffing. You can cut a plastic conduit or PVC pipe in half and put it on the hoses above the cross overs and tape them together. Job done.
Stacy is not about just doing the job, and getting it to work, then going out to play with his new toy. If you have seen his thread about the winter detailing and his comments on how and when he drives his car, you will know that this project is about the challenge of installing it properly, as well as doing it to the point were it will be in show car condition. This is the type of stuff that people put mirrors under there car for at shows...this is the only way that he knows how to do things. He wants a 10 out of 10 for cool factor, and he knows how to achieve it.

On the other hand most of us (and I know this will make Stacy cringe) would throw these pipes in and think that the job that Stacy has done was more then enough. Then we would go out and drive like a mad man.

Is it overkill to use these brackets, I think so. However I don't think that Stacy would agree with me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: Vf Supercharger install(do it yourself style)