997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cabin smell - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
Interesting. Good outcome. What year is your 997? Any indication from the dealer what years P used the adhesive in question?

Old 06-10-2010, 04:10 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
My 25 year old 911 had the "drivepur" treatment done by Metropolitan detail in Seattle area. Totally took off all the old car, "mold" smell. Not sure if that will work for your car but sure worth a try if this recent change does not do the trick.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:08 PM
akim47 is infamous around these partsakim47 is infamous around these parts
pollen filter/ spray won't do anything to fix the problem. you need to use the evap core treatment and that will fix the problem.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:54 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
In any case, it is always a good idea to turn the AC off 2-to-3 miles before the engine is shut for a long time. During those last 2-to-3 miles raise the fan to dry up the plumbing.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997 rolls
Update -
I have the car into the dealer for unrelated (one of the horns not working and the convertible top rattling a bit) and I asked about the cabin smell coming back. Previously at another dealer they replaced the cabin filter and sprayed disinfectant in the vents - it helped but it came back in a few months.

So I get a call yesterday saying the car will be ready tomorrow and that Porsche has come out with new fix for the smell. They replace the heater core as the original ones had an adhesive that would cause the smell. All covered under warranty. I will ask when I go in how long this fix/change has been in place but it sounds like it is a recent approach.

This is great news assuming it really does the trick.
Great news that you were able to get it fixed! That's very annoying. That should be helpful to a lot of other people. What year is the car? Was this a new type heater core integrated for certain years and then replaced with one that worked better?

ChuckJ

Old 06-10-2010, 08:16 PM
997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light
Mine is a 2006 - I pick up the car tomorrow and will get the full details. I'll post back what I find.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:53 PM
997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light
Picked up the car today - no smell with the AC on. Porsche has a TSB out on this now, my SA wouldn't give the #, he said he is not allowed to and he wasn't sure how long it had been out when I asked him.

Here is the info from the receipt.

Replaced the A/C Heat Exchange (997-572-129-00)
Gasket, Heat Exc (997-572-913-00)
2 gallons of Antifreeze 3.7 (000-043-301-05)

"Musty odors from air cond when first swiched on. If equipped remove microfilter before treatment. Technician checked found the heater core has an adhesive on it that is smelling. Porsche has a tech bulletin to replace it with a new updated heater core. Technician replaced heater core."

Old 06-12-2010, 12:10 AM
xbar is infamous around these parts
Try Einszett Klima Air. It worked well for me.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:26 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997 rolls
Picked up the car today - no smell with the AC on. Porsche has a TSB out on this now, my SA wouldn't give the #, he said he is not allowed to and he wasn't sure how long it had been out when I asked him.

Here is the info from the receipt.

Replaced the A/C Heat Exchange (997-572-129-00)
Gasket, Heat Exc (997-572-913-00)
2 gallons of Antifreeze 3.7 (000-043-301-05)

"Musty odors from air cond when first swiched on. If equipped remove microfilter before treatment. Technician checked found the heater core has an adhesive on it that is smelling. Porsche has a tech bulletin to replace it with a new updated heater core. Technician replaced heater core."
Congratulations and thanks for the update. I hope it stays. Your post will probably help many.

ChuckJ

Old 06-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Former Vendor
execpaintpro is infamous around these parts
We do some odor removal on restoration vehicles and the one thing that will kill the smell is to have an ozone treatment. Ozone kills the mold and spores instead of masking them. The nice part about the ozone is that it will filter throughout your heating and cooling system to eradicate the mold and mildew smell. Vehicle must be vapor cleaned and them have the ozone circulate inside the cabin for 20 to 30 minutes. This should be your answer. Definately replace cabin filter after treatment to ensure you remove all the odor causing issues.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Congratulations and thanks for the update. I hope it stays. Your post will probably help many.

ChuckJ
I hope so on both counts.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Well bad news - the AC smell comes back when first turned on. The smell will dissipate after a minute or two but it shouldn't be smelling at all.

Pretty disgusting both in terms of the smell and the fact that it is back.

What a PITA.

I'm going to get in touch with the dealer again and get it over there. I've got too much time invested in this problem.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 AM
europeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura about
I also talked to my dealer regarding this issue today. I am in Taiwan and We are more humid then anywhere else. My cayman s, 997C2, and 997TT. All have this problem. It's really a bad feeling during a cold start in the morning. They said after I am on the way home I turn on the ECO and let it drive for 5 ~ 10 minutes. They said this usually fixes the smell problem. I will give it a try and let you folks know. This is a very embarrassment problem when you are about to ride with a girl. ;o

Old 09-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Just a caution: The rear view mirror hanging deodorizers mentioned earlier in the thread are deadly to the car interior. I had one brush against the dash in my Subie and it damaged the plastics badly where it made contact. Beware.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
They replace the heater core as the original ones had an adhesive that would cause the smell. All covered under warranty.
Can you please tell me what year/model this fix is for? And is it a "recall" type thing?

My 09 Carrera 997.2 has less than 10K miles, but while its having an oil change this weekend, I'd like any recalls done at the same time too....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cabin smell - recommendations?