997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How Much Do You Pay A Month For Your Car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:42 AM
movingup is infamous around these parts
i wil answer it.

such a simple question. Yet no one answers it. why?

I pay 1300 per month for four year lease. 10k down .96k msrp for my 06 997s.
now was that easy enough??
jeeez

Old 12-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
I actually answered the OP on Rennlist. I pay $1311 per month 4yr. lease with only $2100 out of pocket expense. My car MSRP'd at $89k.

Dave

Old 12-29-2008, 12:28 PM
ROD
ROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud of
A co-worker is paying about $1,200 a month (finance). I believe it's a 2006 S.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:33 PM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
Wow there are alot of cash rich people on this thread. I am not so I lease a non s stock with only two add ons PSE,Sport chrono.I pay $1240 a month with no money down and tax's built into the payment . At the end of the lease which is in March I am going to buy it for like 40-45k can't remeber the exact number . It gave me three years to save up or if I want pay it off. I got a porsche 997 and I didn't have to wait till I saved up 85k.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:38 PM
B R A N D X® is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Face it, it is impossible to have that kind of return on investment on the stock market, all the time. (We all know what happened to the guy that promised others that it is )
Yeah and I think he only promised like 10% right?

Old 12-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Registered PM
Sylvester1346 is infamous around these parts
I have a 2008 997 C2s, MRSP $96k, i got it for $81k back in Sept and i put down about $5k. Over three years it will cost me $1298 per month....

To those who can pay cash, i applaud you. It is certainly a personal choice but for me i would rather let Porsche and the lender worry about depreciation and residual values. With a lease i can hand back the car and say thank you very much for the experiance, besides i couln't wait another 5 years and 3 months to be able to pay cash...... i just had to get it before i turned 30..... early life crisis what can i say!

Old 12-29-2008, 03:52 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by .bg.
I've financed my toys.
But I'll be the first to say I believe buying toys outright is very smart.
And for two major reasons:

1. It ensures you are in a financial position great enough to afford the vehicle. Anyone can finance/lease just about anything, so it all comes down to a judgment call. As we've learned, Americans don't make these well. If you force yourself to pay cash, you can just about rest assured that you are in good enough financial health to afford it.

2. Toys are not assets. Sure you can finance them at 1% and invest your money. (and this is not a bad line of thinking) But your investment money is never guaranteed and there is always the chance that something catastrophic happens that wipes out a substantial chunk of your investment leaving you with a payment and nothing to show for it. I'd prefer to be safe than sorry.

But again, this isn't the route I've taken, but I certainly understand it.
+1... you've pointed out the exact reasons why I did not and will never purchase any car on credit

for me, I don't point this out because of "pride", I point it out because for the most part (with rare exceptions) it never makes sense to finance a depreciating item and it is a lesson in long term financial viability

Last edited by strife_wy; 12-29-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by .bg.
Sure you can finance them at 1% and invest your money. (and this is not a bad line of thinking) But your investment money is never guaranteed and there is always the chance that something catastrophic happens that wipes out a substantial chunk of your investment leaving you with a payment and nothing to show for it. I'd prefer to be safe than sorry.

But again, this isn't the route I've taken, but I certainly understand it.
You and I agree. But I think it's funny to consider taking your money and putting it into an asset that is GUARANTEED to be worth about half in 3 years, vs investing it and having a decent chance (present catastrophe excluded/weighted down) of actually coming out ahead. If you handle it right, it's not inconceivable that you could get the car for free using that method.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Banned
carnut1 is infamous around these parts
I have both paid cash and financed cars in the past. Sometimes I let the dealer finance a car, and then I promise not to pay it of until the get their back end money from the financing, I get more money off that way. Though all of my present cars except the range rover (co car) have are paid off.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:35 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
You and I agree. But I think it's funny to consider taking your money and putting it into an asset that is GUARANTEED to be worth about half in 3 years, vs investing it and having a decent chance (present catastrophe excluded/weighted down) of actually coming out ahead. If you handle it right, it's not inconceivable that you could get the car for free using that method.
It sure is nice to pick and choose examples to suit an argument and even assign implicit probabilities to unknowns .

Old 12-29-2008, 09:20 PM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
For me, I won't buy a performance car unless I can buy it outright. I don't mind financing some of our other cars, such as the Lexus but when it comes to toys like this, I always pay in cash. It also helps that Porsche don't depreciate as heavily as some other marques, makes it a bit easier to swallow.

Bought my '08 Cayman S new at the end of '07 and lost a huge amount on it. Traded it in for an '06 C2S in September and only had to add $18k.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:33 AM
OC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant future
gee after reading this post I'm afraid to post that I paid cash for mine also...oh wait I just did..

I'm Rick James *****!

Old 12-30-2008, 04:37 AM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
It sure is nice to pick and choose examples to suit an argument and even assign implicit probabilities to unknowns .
Yea, I agree with you.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:11 AM
B R A N D X® is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by OC Pcar
gee after reading this post I'm afraid to post that I paid cash for mine also...oh wait I just did..

I'm Rick James *****!
Yes......quite embarrassing!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:49 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
I'm a simple man. Yes, I understand the concept of using cash for investments vs. buying a car. When I buy a car, they are either "one only" buys and I keep them for a long time or 2+ years old. My issue is that when cars are leased or financed - the lenders dictate your car insurance coverages. On my policy, that will affect ALL cars on the policy creating another "extra" monthly payment on top of the new car payment.
If there are car insurance companies that allow different car coverages on the same policies, I may have a different perspective.
However, I am preparing myself to have a monthly payment when I go shopping for a 997TT in the future.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Much Do You Pay A Month For Your Car?