997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Supercharge: VF-E vs. TPC vs. ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Supercharge: VF-E vs. TPC vs. ?

I'm ready to commit to doing an SC on my '05 S2 with 33k miles, modded as per my signature.

At this point, I feel I have nothing to fear with the VF-E/ EVOMS SC kit, but have heard some warnings surrounding the TPC kit.

Can anyone with experience advise me or make my decision more clear?
Thanks.
CATTMAN

Old 12-28-2008, 08:58 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Went through the same thing....My car is not a daily driver so I even like the 'whine' of a supercharger!
I looked and looked and didn't find too much info on the TPC,the reason why I went with the VF.I am not saying anything bad about the TPC,just the fact that I had no info on it!
I have used that style of supercharger on my NSX and the bottom end grunt was awesome(which is what TPC claims for the Porsche),but the one thing I found is it fell off hard at the top end.If you could find two dyno plots(independant owners) of equal cars,one TPC and one VF, and lay the charts over one another,you may be able to decide.I would think the TPC from light to light may be a bit quicker but any further the VF would run it down.
If you do a search you will find some reading material here on 6Speed.

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 12-28-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:42 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Cattman, good for you for takingthe plunge, I would call VF, TPC, and you may want to talk to RUF as well. Find out more about the company and more importantly who supports the system local to you. Good Luck andplease post any info that you find.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:38 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
I can vouch for VF-Engineering. Great kit, performance and customer service. I have no complaints.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:16 PM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
Gettin my popcorn. I looked at both VF and TPC (and Ruf for that matter) and decided to go TPC. TPC has more HP , more TQ and therefore you "feel" it more. I LOVE the whine of the SC - it is not really that bad, especially with aftermarket exhausts. Comparing the size of the superchargers, the TPC one is HUGE (roots, twin screw) - which is why it makes more HP/TQ at lower RPMs - exactly what I wanted.
VF uses a vortech (centrifugal) SC that needs more RPMs to produce HP/TQ gains. At least that is how I understood it. Since I have not tried a VF system, I have nothing to compare my TPC experience with. Each system has their own pros and cons. Try to drive a P-car with each system and decide for yourself. My car is a daily driver and performed extremely well. But you have to keep up with the software updates for either system.

Check out:
http://www.vf-engineering.com/index....sche_997_S.php
http://www.tpcracing.us/products/sup...arger_kit.html
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger.htm

Last edited by summoboy; 12-28-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:59 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by summoboy
Gettin my popcorn. I looked at both VF and TPC (and Ruf for that matter) and decided to go TPC. TPC has more HP , more TQ and therefore you "feel" it more. I LOVE the whine of the SC - it is not really that bad, especially with aftermarket exhausts. Comparing the size of the superchargers, the TPC one is HUGE (roots, twin screw) - which is why it makes more HP/TQ at lower RPMs - exactly what I wanted.
VF uses a vortech (centrifugal) SC that needs more RPMs to produce HP/TQ gains. At least that is how I understood it. Since I have not tried a VF system, I have nothing to comapre my TPC experience with. Each system has their own pros and cons. Try to drive a P-car with each system and decide for yourself. My car is a daily driver and performed extremely well. But you have to keep up with the software updates for either system.

Check out:

Wish I had the extra cash to buy this one from you,as well as keep my VF!
Would be neat to compare the two on one car(for 6speed....)
That TPC dyno chart showing HP looks like a beast.
I know a few have been afraid of the 'piggyback' computer and extra injectors,this wouldn't bother me as a very reputable company(Kenne Bell) uses the same method.I used on of the Kenne Bell kit on my Jeep Grand Cherokee years ago and that thing 'ripped' and was problem free!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 12-28-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:39 PM
pnutty is infamous around these parts
VF uses a vortech (centrifugal) SC that needs more RPMs to produce HP/TQ gains. At least that is how I understood it. Since I have not tried a VF system, I have nothing to comapre my TPC experience with. Each system has their own pros and cons. Try to drive a P-car with each system and decide for yourself. My car is a daily driver and performed extremely well. But you have to keep up with the software updates for either system.

Check out:

I totally wish you still had it in your car so i could get a ride in it!

Old 12-28-2008, 08:36 PM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
LOL missed it by a week. Hopefully a local 6spdr will buy it and give ya a ride. Or ya could buy it! It is (was) a wickedly fast 997S. Ask justjay, he rode in in it.

Last edited by summoboy; 12-29-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:11 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Had my VF-SC dynoed and the numbers were: 446HP to the wheels and 327 ft lbs torque. (AWE 200Cel Cats and X51 headers.) The TPC does have higher torque but I could not stand the whine. In fact that's the first I've heard of someone actually liking the whine. It gives away any stealthingness as well as sounds obnoxious, to most people anyway. Yes you can lessen the sound with a loud exhaust however then you always have aloud exhaust. I went with PSE so I could go loud or quite when I needed or wanted to.
Also, no doubt a blown engine does put additional wear and trear on the engine especially considering it already has high compression. My worry is how much PSI can the engine afford? I went with a more conservative lower boost number that Vf-E employs.
Only time will tell if TPC is more harmfull, or not.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Both kits have their merits. I loved the TPC power & torque - it is more than the VF kit. And my kit was barely running 5lbs boost, I think the VF kit is at least the same and can go higher, to 6. The SC whine is not bad at all, certainly no worse than turbos. If would be nice to do a shoot-out with the 2 kits as they take very different approaches to do the same thing - more power and torque. Either way supercharging is the best bang for the buck. It brings about startling performance. My car went thru 1st and 2nd gears so fast, they seemed useless.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Summoboy,
You may consider installing a free er flowing exhaust on your car for even better performance. I first dynoed mine without the AWE 200 cel cats and X51 headers and the car achieved 40HP less. There was a noticeable difference in installing the above.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
Summoboy,
You may consider installing a free er flowing exhaust on your car for even better performance. I first dynoed mine without the AWE 200 cel cats and X51 headers and the car achieved 40HP less. There was a noticeable difference in installing the above.
He is selling the charger to upgrade to a TT,so I think changing stuff may be out of the question.
somebody NEEDS to pick this thing up!!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:32 PM
LOL missed it by a week. Hopefully a local 6spdr will buy it and give ya a ride. Or ya could buy it! It is (was) a wickedly fast 997S. Ask justjay, he rode in in it.
I am really surprised he(justjay) hasn't bought it!?
He wanted the VF I bought and this one is CLOSE to home.

Stacy

Old 12-29-2008, 09:36 PM
righteo - looking to move up. My car was plenty fast, I know it will suck to have it stock - but willing to do that for my longer term plan. We'll see if it all works out..

Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 PM
I think justjay02 is AWOL on vac or??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Supercharge: VF-E vs. TPC vs. ?