997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 S as track tool

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:23 AM
Daggie is infamous around these parts
Thnx a lot for the information guys. I haven't found many intresting topics on 6speed, when it comes to track setup. I will take a closer look at Rennlist.

Should someone want to buy the GT3 wheels, it will be difficult since I live in Europe. So you will likely be able to get them cheaper in the US.

If I summarize the different posts:
1. change brake fluid to Castrol SRF or Motul 600
2. change the camber. Is it possible to change to the values mdrums suggests, without the GT3 control arms?

Then learn to drive a 911 I never tracked a 911 before, but I have tracked my Cayman the last 2 years. The difference in both cars is large, so I will need to take my time.

After that:
3. brakes: different brake pads (Pagid Yellow/Black. I used to have Pagid Blue on the Cayman, so I'd like to stick with Pagid) and steel brake lines
4. wheels & tires: many suggestions here. I take it you are talking about CCW C10? What sizes are intresting? For tires/wheels? I'm not sure I'm able to get these in Belgium at a normal price, but if I know the sizes, I'm halfway there. What Volk wheels are you suggesting? I'm definitally going for 18", because tires are a lot more expensive over here in 19" .. and I know they won't really last long.

Tires and wheels will likely be changed, when I need new tires. I also have a set of 19" Lobsters, so that it might take "some" time untill both are finished.

Thnx again for the information, I'm going to look at Rennlist now. I'm especially interested in the camber values, so if anyone has more information on that, please do post.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:49 AM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
I'm new to 911's but have tracked many cars over the years. I always use a tyre temp gauge to work out camber settings. Is there any reason that is not appropriate here?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:14 PM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
All these comments are great, but if this is your first time tracking the 997 S and you only have a handful of events under your belt, just get an alignment, check the pad depth, bleed the brakes and go have fun.

Then after a few events decide where you want to spend the money, you'll always need new pads/rotors/tires. These cars are very capable stock. Besides, better to start with something that offers very little adjustment (stock), get your driving down so you are comfortable pushing the car, then start changing things.

just my opinion...

Old 01-08-2009, 01:16 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ryans4
All these comments are great, but if this is your first time tracking the 997 S and you only have a handful of events under your belt, just get an alignment, check the pad depth, bleed the brakes and go have fun.

Then after a few events decide where you want to spend the money, you'll always need new pads/rotors/tires. These cars are very capable stock. Besides, better to start with something that offers very little adjustment (stock), get your driving down so you are comfortable pushing the car, then start changing things.

just my opinion...

+1 Could not agree more.

This is what I'm doing.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
Yellow/Black is an incredible combination, www.Rennstore.com - neat guy, great service, knowledgeable.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:26 PM
mkk62 is infamous around these parts
++1 Ryan 4

have been track 2 997s' since they came out (think it was fall of 2004) ..instructor level( but I am not a racer) with little time to deal with mods, towing, ...babies etc..

stuck with stock car for over 50 track days then after playing with tire pressures, pads, rotors, got the gt3 996 race seats.6 pt harness(awsome for avoiding fatigue and those aches the day after.) started modding the car little by little with advice from others... I live in a smaller city but finally able to get gt3 control arms with r compounds which made a huge difference but only after really getting to know the limits of the stock car....(btw got r compounds without gt3 arms first, waste of money, no change in laps times at all until the camber change....you really need the camber for those tires....) Btw this website and rennlist was very helpful during the modding phase..as was RonCT's experience....

right now i have gt3 seats with bar and 6 pt harness, gt3 arms, r888's, ss lines, super blue (sorry MRDUMS, he hates this fluid), pccb's, GIAC flash, evo intake, fabspeed headers, exhaust.

would say definitely drive the car stock for a while, enjoy..it is really fun to slide around those street tires after a while..there have been more than a few modded 997s' including race suspensions and slicks that i have kept up with when i was stock. It i s really fun to to keep up with guys in their modded 997s' . and then when I start reaching my limits i started the mod process., ... many of my friends then later spend the money on a track car they can drive nearly 100% (ie spec miata, 944) to learn more and can afford to lose in the event of a wall trip...(that's where your hans device, rollcage are helpful in that race car )
my next mod is going to be a track only car and club racing( as that is where the addiction usually leads to) but after my children get old enough to change my oil.....
so to answer your question, it is really a personal thing, mods are fun but the car is so awsome, nothing really needs to be added except for more track time. Get a good alignment..mine was screwed up when i first got thecar.. and every year my car depreciates, I push it a little more good luck

from the rambling fatigued new father...

80 degrees sunny FL

Last edited by mkk62; 01-08-2009 at 09:30 PM.