997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

are 20's the biggest wheels for a 997 that still provide good ride?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:18 AM
nugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud of
are 20's the biggest wheels for a 997 that still provide good ride?

will the 20" HRE's fit on my 08 997? will they still provide a good ride or will it be terrible with potholes (which are numerous here in NY)?

Old 01-03-2009, 10:27 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
No way I'd do 20" wheels in that part of the country. Buy insurance if you do, you'll use it guaranteed.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 01-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Former Vendor
HRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant future
Nugent_Crai

While we sell a lot of 20s, I do think that 20s in the North East tends to be more of a risk. Out here in SoCal the roads are pretty good, but up their I'm not so sure. The Monobloks are pretty stout, but I'd probably recommend 19s as they're going to be a tad lighter and less susceptible to the craters you guys call pot holes up there. The 19s in Monoblok look bigger than a typical 19" with the way they're designed so if you go that direction, I don't think 19" Monobloks would disappoint you.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:54 AM
McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !
You will destroy those wheels in that size, especially at this time of year. Even the summer time is risky, at least with the roads around the north east Ohio area.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nugent_crai
will the 20" HRE's fit on my 08 997? will they still provide a good ride or will it be terrible with potholes (which are numerous here in NY)?
I thought you were a performance guy? STAY AWAY from 20's if you want true performance.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:43 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
Just be careful when driving, my brother has 22 in HREs on his lexus 600H here in Cambodia where there are a lot of potholes, just gotta be careful. He hasn't had serious problems.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Dont do 20's!

Jason

Old 01-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Banned
carnut1 is infamous around these parts
+1 stay will 19's

Originally Posted by mdrums
I thought you were a performance guy? STAY AWAY from 20's if you want true performance.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:24 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, go 19's

Old 01-04-2009, 06:51 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Honest question here - is this a serious question? The 997 Should have come with 18s. Porsche engineering demanded it, but marketing trumped them (too bad - engineers used to be the deciders). When the 2005 came out, Porsche had all sorts of pro Porsche racers testing the car - they all pretty much said the same thing "The 997S should have come with 18" wheels like the 997 - much superior all around..." That's why most track guys use 18" format. But marketing said the world wants 19" wheels, so they made 19s, had to re-design structural components to handle 19s, etc. The car is not designed for 20s, never mind something even larger. Stick with 19s...

Old 01-04-2009, 07:00 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Also, some 20" wheels don't look right because they make the brake calipers look a little naked (too much space around them). I agree that 19" wheels look great, especially if the car is lowered a little.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:15 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RonCT
Honest question here - is this a serious question? The 997 Should have come with 18s. ...
Ditto that.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:42 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
I would agree that a 'Performance orientated/track' car should run the lightest wheels however for the street where a car won't see the rigors of that of a track car,I think a person would be fine with 20's!
Personal taste and roads in your area may dictate otherwise.
There has to be a margin of safety when building the suspension components on these cars and going from stock 19's to aftermarket 20's would probably fall in the safety zone.
I know alot of you just do not like the looks or performance (or lack of) of 20's but for some it is all about the look!

****Is it a waste that I bought my Porsche just to drive on the street,doing the posted speed limits and NOT driving my car to it's full potential?****

Because my car does not see the track I bought 20's and wouldn't change it for anything.
I personally love the look!
If I were to take my car to the track,I probably would change the wheels (something lighter) for that day!
The one thing I will say again is 'The look' is purely personal taste and no matter what size wheels are on these cars,they all look fantastic to my eyes!
Just my $.02

Regards,

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 01-04-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:42 PM
dmoney is infamous around these parts
go 20 or nothing, these guyz were saying that about 19's when 18's were the norm....

Old 01-04-2009, 07:53 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Definitely 19's. 20's have the poseriffic in your face look IMO.

To each his own, of course.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: are 20's the biggest wheels for a 997 that still provide good ride?