997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

battery died

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:41 PM
njcl55 is infamous around these parts
battery died

well, i just checked on my car today and it looks like my battery is completely drained or near drained. i tried to used a jumper box but that didn't seem to do the trick.

so do i need to buy a new battery or can the one drained battery be re-charged. the battery is about 3yrs old now.

tia
gary

Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Three years is actually better than my average with past Porsches .

Old 01-04-2009, 11:47 PM
AJ997S is infamous around these parts
Try taking it out and charging it at a local shop over night (good 8 hours). Also have them do a test on it to see if it's still good. I recently thought mine was dead when it just needed a long charge. 997s draw more milli amps then most cars while sitting in storage so it's common for it to die after a month or so of hibernating.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:48 AM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
If the battery is three years old and has problems, change it out. It will not get better. As far as maintenance on a 997 is concerned, a battery replacement is cheap.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
thread on this right next to yours- I just had this happen as well, click here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...requested.html

Old 01-10-2009, 04:36 PM
jcrystal23 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by njcl55
well, i just checked on my car today and it looks like my battery is completely drained or near drained. i tried to used a jumper box but that didn't seem to do the trick.

so do i need to buy a new battery or can the one drained battery be re-charged. the battery is about 3yrs old now.

tia
gary
Time for new battery, I have yet to replace mine yet, but I think I probably will soon. 3 years of battery life is a good for a car as sophisticated as a Porsche.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Changing my battery-any issues?

I'm about to replace the battery on my 997S (2005). Is there any issues/risks that I should be aware of? e.g. memory settings, engine settings, whatever?
Normally, I would never even bother to ask but the P-car seems to be electronically unusual.
So, can I just pull the old one out, fumble around for a while as I am wont to do, and then attach the new one?
Thanks

Old 02-28-2009, 06:42 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
I'm about to replace the battery on my 997S (2005). Is there any issues/risks that I should be aware of? e.g. memory settings, engine settings, whatever?
Normally, I would never even bother to ask but the P-car seems to be electronically unusual.
So, can I just pull the old one out, fumble around for a while as I am wont to do, and then attach the new one?
Thanks
Page 261 in the 2006 owner's manual will tell you a couple of things you'll have to do when replacing the battery.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Racer911S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Page 261 in the 2006 owner's manual will tell you a couple of things you'll have to do when replacing the battery.
Thanks for this tip!

My battery died right before I started storing it for the winter. The battery was fine after a recharge (and now on a trickle charge) but I was getting the PASM light so I thought I was going to have to take it to the dealer once spring arrived but I see it should go off by itself.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:59 AM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
You may have to go to the dealer for a handover procedure to reactivate functions that revert with loss of power, eg, seat heaters & sport chrono light always on.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I use the Porsche Trickle Charger, it is easy to use, and it seems to keep the battery fresh.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:21 PM
whitecoupe is infamous around these parts
Mine is 06, the battery died 2 weeks ago. So I simply took the car to the dealer and they changed it for me.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:24 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Get a better 3rd party battery with higher crank amps, such as a DuraLast from AutoZone. See this BATTERY THREAD.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
More specific question

Perhaps I should re-phrase the question...

I'd like to know what happens if I disconnect the battery for an hour or two - prior to replacing it with a new battery. I have the battery, so any tip re the battery type, though appreciated, is not needed. The new one (Braille CF) is a different size, and has a small bracket that I need to adapt to the tray. No big deal, but the car will be without a battery for somewhere from 1/2 hour to 2 or so.
Will there be any need to head down to the dealer for reprogramming, resetting, bill paying .
And (and I presume this is a no-no but one of the responses may be implying this) can I leave the car on a plug-in charger while the battery is out - to prevent any of the issues that may result from a missing battery. I have a Battery Tender that can plug in to the lighter. This is a bit of a heart-lung machine kind of approach but my experience is that you don't want to put a charger on a car without a 'buffer'.
Thanks,
Verde

Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I use the Porsche Trickle Charger, it is easy to use, and it seems to keep the battery fresh.

Last edited by Verde; 02-28-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:19 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
Perhaps I should re-phrase the question...

I'd like to know what happens if I disconnect the battery for an hour or two - prior to replacing it with a new battery. I have the battery, so any tip re the battery type, though appreciated, is not needed. The new one (Braille CF) is a different size, and has a small bracket that I need to adapt to the tray. No big deal, but the car will be without a battery for somewhere from 1/2 hour to 2 or so.
Will there be any need to head down to the dealer for reprogramming, resetting, bill paying .
And (and I presume this is a no-no but one of the responses may be implying this) can I leave the car on a plug-in charger while the battery is out - to prevent any of the issues that may result from a missing battery. I have a Battery Tender that can plug in to the lighter. This is a bit of a heart-lung machine kind of approach but my experience is that you don't want to put a charger on a car without a 'buffer'.
Thanks,
Verde

Connect the battery maintainer and disconnect the battery afterwards. The maintainer will keep things running and no settings will be lost, unless you have some high debit after market doodad which could overload the maintainer.