997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

First time tracking my car.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 AM
babymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up First time tracking my car.

Simple words are hard to express the thrill and excitement of taking ones own car to the track, what an experience. Did approximately 150 miles throughout the day and the instructor I was with was excellent, Jonhathan Parker if anyone's interested. He really knows the ins and outs of the porsche experience. It's very helpful and appropriate that I was teamed up with a porsche owner/driver. I can't remember this much fun, it felt like being a kid again. Well, my knew brakes were as anticipated as was the suspention, my tires though were at peak performance, regular street tires were turning sticky. I plan on getting more involved in the sport, but not too crazy. Thanks to all on this forum that have suggested my mods and hope to be out there more. Sebring was awesome

Old 01-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
you're toast...hang on...it's a very exciting ride...

Old 01-07-2009, 12:42 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
you're toast...hang on...it's a very exciting ride...
+1, my first track day was in a stock 997C2S, read my sig and you will see what it has made me do to my car!

I am glad that you enjoyed the day, and go out and do it as much as you can. I am jealous that you are able to track your car in January, we have a ton of snow right now and I haven't seen my car in a month.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:46 PM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats, sounds like you are hooked already. I'm looking forward to doing my first track day this spring.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:02 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
babymd.

With the mods you did to your car, it is MADE to be a track star!

Otherwise its just overkill for the street.

Porsche's are designed, made, and born for the track.

+1 Tracking is like modding, once you start you can not stop and you are constantly looking for your next fix.

The problem is tracking makes the MOD bug go from fun to an addiction that can wipe your bank account and cc clean!...... it has mine

Old 01-07-2009, 05:25 PM
MelsM3 is infamous around these parts
Question

Do they always let a Cabriolet onto a track?

Old 01-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MelsM3
No...they are ok for most DE's but not for any racing classes

Old 01-07-2009, 05:58 PM
babymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to behold
I guess with the emergency pop-up hydrolic role bars, you can, don't know about racing, didn't seem to be an issue at the chin event.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:18 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
At Sebring yes for DE's. Some tracks like Daytona will not allow a Cabriolet/Convertible o the track unless it has a full roll cage.

babymd, congrat's, I wish I was there with you! I will be back to Sebring soon.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:43 PM
babymd, congrat's, I wish I was there with you! I will be back to Sebring soon.[/quote]
Thanks Mike, was a lot of fun

Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Good for you!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:35 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Get your checkbook out and enjoy. It is a slippery slope you have started down.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:09 PM
nucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura about
Question for the experts here. What is the best way to get into club racing and tracking? I have noticed on PCA websites and others it appears cheaper in total to buy a track 911 vs. taking your baby and gutting it to make a track car.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
No expert but some suggestions for you.
Spend 1year doing Auto-X and DE track days while you develop your performance driving skills. Drive in street stock class on street tires. No need to gut a perfectly good 997. If at the end of the year you are dominating your class at every event it's time to pick out a nice race car.

Don't pick out just any car but find the most active and competitive class in your area and race one of those. The last thing you want is a great, totally tricked out car and no one to race with. Some of the best club racing is found in Spec Miata, 944spec, Boxster Spec. and GT3 Cup. This is class racing at its best. Everyone is essentially in the same car so setup and driving skill are everything. These are the feeder programs that lead straight to professional road racing.
Good luck, Drive safe.

Last edited by Cajundaddy; 01-19-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:20 PM
nucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura about
Cool info. Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First time tracking my car.