997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car jack suggestion needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Car jack suggestion needed

Living in the Wash. DC area, I'm going to have to get some snows on order from TireRack. Of course, the 997 doesn't come with a jack seeing as the car has no spare.
Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for a relatively simple jack for changing tires? Something pretty low duty, as I only need to change out the tires twice a year on two cars. So that's only 16 wheels up and 16 wheels down a year.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I would buy a good Low Profile Jack, it is a tool that you will always want to have around. A good one makes the job a lot easier and faster.

I have had one of the cheap ones and it started leaking oil from the piston while my car (not the Porsche) was jacked up.

Just my 2 cents

Old 01-09-2009, 09:34 AM
MartinJF is infamous around these parts
I have this one and it is pretty good.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91039

Old 01-09-2009, 09:41 AM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
For the "best" go AC Hydraulics, crazy high lift with low profile, but it's not cheap:

For reasonable, go Harbor Freight Aluminum (i have used this for over 6 years) or Crafstman Aluminum, they look identical:

Don't forget good jack stands, I have AC Hydraulics, they are fantastic:

Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryans4
For the "best" go AC Hydraulics, crazy high lift with low profile, but it's not cheap:

For reasonable, go Harbor Freight Aluminum (i have used this for over 6 years) or Crafstman Aluminum, they look identical:

I have one very similar to the Craftsman, it is a Michelin product, but same construction as this. It can get low enough to lift the Porsche, and goes high enough to lift the Touareg.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:50 AM
RH512 is infamous around these parts
Another candidate on the cheap end.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5429_200345429

Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
The Craftsman is a decent jack. I have had no issues with it and have had it for 5 years.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:39 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I've had the HF aluminum low profile one for ~ 6 years and have used it quite a bit. Different wheels/tires for auto-x, lapping days, summer and winter and 4 cars.

It's held up really well considering it is a relatively inexpensive piece.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:48 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Have you seen the one we sell? Aluminum and very high quality.

The Aluminum Service Jack from Tire Rack features a Quick Lift System with two-stage pump and dual return springs. Go from 3.5" ground height to a maximum height of 19.5" in 12 strokes or less, even under load. The jack's lightweight, aluminum design weighs only 50 lbs. for easy transport yet remains ideal for heavy-duty, 2-ton capacity use. Wide track casters and wheels allow for easy maneuverability while a rubber saddle pad and foam handle bumper protect the raised vehicle. A 50" handle is included.

$169

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=67

For $219, we have a bundle with a pair of jack stands, a $20 savings over buying individually.

You can bundle it in with the tires! Call me.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 01-09-2009, 03:28 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey damon, you think that jack will fit under lowered cars like the Harbor freight and Craftsman one.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:46 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
btw, I've been using the Harbor freight one for the last 2 years or so and it's started leaking and making noises when the car is lifted as if it's slowly failing.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:52 PM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by v35
btw, I've been using the Harbor freight one for the last 2 years or so and it's started leaking and making noises when the car is lifted as if it's slowly failing.
You can service it and add fluid. You can get hydrualic jack fluid from any auto parts store. Basically i took mine apart, cleaned it, there was some rubber stuff, replaced it, filled it, and it's back to new again.

I had the same issues you were having though, I'm thinking it's a wear thing.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Costco sells a low profile aluminum jack similar to the Sears model pictured in one of the other posts if you've got one close by. Keep in mind these jacks are very heavy and the freight could add a good deal to the final price.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Though pricey, I have the Griot's garage ultra low profile jack:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...+floor+jack.do
It's pricey, but I've had a cheap one prior, and it gave out on me. Plus this one is really low profile. Fits below almost anything (easily the Porsche, but not the Ford GT w/o blocks).
It also has a cool/different center pivoting wheel making it a bit easier to maneuver. No big deal but nice as well.
(You can see it in the avatar picture. I place insulating foam on the handle so, if it springs up against the car, no harm no foul)

Last edited by Verde; 01-09-2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Added a final note
Old 01-12-2009, 05:15 PM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
I went and got the TireRack jack. First impressions are very good. I used it to jack up the front and then the rear of the 997 and it was very smooth. Before this, I had only used the emergency-type jack to put snows on cars. This was so much better!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car jack suggestion needed