997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car seat for 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:24 PM
wjh911 is infamous around these partswjh911 is infamous around these parts
Car seat for 997.2

Ok
First, I have searched this forum and Rennlist extensively and do not have the answer.
I am in need of a modern, new, not recalled, currently manufactured car seat that will fit in the back of my 09 997.2
My question is
Does anyone know if the Britax Frontier, the Radian 80, the Recaro seat, or the Graco Nautilius will fit?
Thanks in advance.
WJH

Old 01-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Doesn't Porsche sell child seats for the 911's? I'd imagine those would, by definition, work.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...97/childseats/

Last edited by Minok; 01-12-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:17 PM
amag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to behold
I have the Porsche Jr car seat in my 09 997.2 and it fits perfectly. However, I did remove the bottom seat cushion so it doesn't get ruined. It's also very easy to get my little guy in and out of it.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:47 PM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by wjh911
Ok
First, I have searched this forum and Rennlist extensively and do not have the answer.
I am in need of a modern, new, not recalled, currently manufactured car seat that will fit in the back of my 09 997.2
My question is
Does anyone know if the Britax Frontier, the Radian 80, the Recaro seat, or the Graco Nautilius will fit?
Thanks in advance.
WJH

Frontier will not fit. The Recaro Booster will fit as will the Britax Booster.

The Radian 65/80 will fit but it is difficult to get a tight fit of the seat (without movement) without repositioning the seat belt recepticle.

Don't know about the Nautilus. I can tell you this, the narrower the base, the easier time you will have fitting the car seat.

I have a Cosco Scenera and a Cosco High-Back Booster for my 1 y/o and 4 y/o respectively... I didn't choose these seats for their price, though they are vey cheap ($100 all in for both) but, rather, because they were the only ones, save for the Porsche seats that would fit in the back.

If you wanted to reposition the seat belt recepticle, it's actually not that difficult and involves removing the bolt holding the recepticle and rotating the recepticle from front to back so the buckle insert point faces up and toward the back of the car versus forward of the car. I found that doing this was the only way to get a forward facing only car seat with a 5 pt harness (i.e., not a belt positioning booster) to fit snugly as you end up positioning the recepticle more to where the seat belt is supposed to come out.

Leaving the seat belt in its default position caused most, if not all, front facing car seats I tried, to twist left or right upon tightening.

Good luck. You'll find something that works for you. Feel free to PM me any time if you want to talk more specifics of what I've described.

-Eddie

Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 AM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
If either of you take pictures of those seats installed, I'd like to see them. Best of all with the children in 'em and seats in their driving positions.

Thanks!

Kurt

Old 01-13-2009, 08:31 AM
jlingk is infamous around these parts
Just get the Porsche seat and save yourself the agony. Speaking from experience, the only seat you're going to get to fit perfectly are the Porsche ones.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 AM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
subscribed, can you guys post pics of your setup? I have the Graco Nautilus and it fits fine but I'm curious as to what other options there are.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:26 PM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
Finally got around to taking some pictures. Sorry, no pictures with the kids actually in the seats, but you get the idea. The seating position for both driver and passenger is the position the seats are in when the kids are in the back.

I'm 6'0" and have plenty of leg room with the driver's seat in this position.

I took both seat backs out but left the seat bottom cushions in place.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

-Eddie

Name:  Porsche10.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  64.7 KB
Name:  Porsche3.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  63.5 KB
Name:  Porsche6.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  62.1 KB
Name:  Porsche5.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  81.1 KB
Name:  Porsche8.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  70.6 KB

Old 01-19-2009, 12:38 PM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
in the last pic it looks like the new 997.2 has the latch system behind the seat, is that correct? They didn't have that in the old 997 did they?

Old 01-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Andre5 is infamous around these partsAndre5 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
in the last pic it looks like the new 997.2 has the latch system behind the seat, is that correct? They didn't have that in the old 997 did they?
Same latch as in my '06 997S.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
ATL
that's weird, I just checked mine (2005) and there's a flap but I didn't find a latch directly under it. Do I need to pull it all the way out? What am I doing wrong? Anyone else with an 05 use their latch behind the seat?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
lakerholic - THANKS! Those are the best pics of a 911 back seat in-use, that I've ever seen posted. VERY informative.

I will say that I can't get the image out of my head, of your kids being thrown side-to-side, laughing/squealing loudly as you fly down some curvy backroad!

Kurt

Old 01-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
lakerholic - THANKS! Those are the best pics of a 911 back seat in-use, that I've ever seen posted. VERY informative.

I will say that I can't get the image out of my head, of your kids being thrown side-to-side, laughing/squealing loudly as you fly down some curvy backroad!

Kurt
LOL! Thanks, Kurt! My youngest, who's 1, only wants to ride in daddy's car!

ATL - my car is an 06 997 S. To access the rear tethers, you need to go to where you see the cut out, get a sharp razor blade and cut (along the line that goes from left to right, the lower most part of the cut out) the two corner stitches. It's not that difficult when you figure out where the stitches are, but it's a pain sometimes to see it -- use a flashlight.

Once you do that, the whole thing lifts up, including the insulation, exposing the rear tether points. Some people remove the insulation, I chose to leave it there as I didn't think it looked too bad.

Good luck and feel free to post here/PM me if you have any other questions.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:50 AM
bamaPepper is infamous around these parts
This is exactly the thread I've been looking for. I've been debating the capability of a car seat in the back of a 997 for awhile. Great job of posting the pictures laker.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:18 PM
ATL
Originally Posted by lakerholic
ATL - my car is an 06 997 S. To access the rear tethers, you need to go to where you see the cut out, get a sharp razor blade and cut (along the line that goes from left to right, the lower most part of the cut out) the two corner stitches. It's not that difficult when you figure out where the stitches are, but it's a pain sometimes to see it -- use a flashlight.

Once you do that, the whole thing lifts up, including the insulation, exposing the rear tether points. Some people remove the insulation, I chose to leave it there as I didn't think it looked too bad.

Good luck and feel free to post here/PM me if you have any other questions.
Thanks for the info, I'll go check it out right now!

For anyone wondering if car seats will fit the answer is YES. You just want to make sure your kid is at least 25lbs and front facing before sticking them in the car. Obviously it's not as safe as a big luxury sedan or SUV but I went with a 911 over other 2 seater sports cars due to the functional backseat. It was a deal breaker for me.

Last edited by ATL; 01-22-2009 at 08:26 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car seat for 997.2