997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

LSD and LWFW Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
LSD and LWFW Impressions

I dropped my car off on Dec 8, to have a Quaife LSD and a LWFW installed, and due to the snow and bad weather was finally able to pick it up on the weekend. After a short drive this is my impression of the car.

Feels good, really controllable oversteer on power at exit of turn.
Revs quick, feels very light on throttle.
Pulls quickly in top gear from low RPM.
Rev matching on down shift is so easy, Heel Toeing on that track will be a breeze.
At idle in neutral, a quick tap of the gas and the engine quickly gets to 4000 RPM.

I am very impressed with how much of a difference these mods made to an already very fast and capable car. I highly recommend these mods to anyone that wants to improve the cars acceleration.

One thing to note, the LWFW weights 13lbs, the OEM weights 31.5lbs, however the LSD weights considerably more then the OEM open differential (didn't think to weigh it before it was installed).

Old 01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
looking forward to see how much faster you pull away from me at Mission and PIR this year.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:18 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
looking forward to see how much faster you pull away from me at Mission and PIR this year.
All joking aside, this will be a good bench mark for the mods that I have done, versus the X51 that you have. The mods don't add up to the same cost that Porsche wants for the X51 option. Looking forward to the track, nice to see you talk about PIR, I really enjoy that track. Not sure how many times I will make it to Mission this year.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
X51 is overpriced, but I got it free in the club coupe so why not.

Mission as a track may be too small, but it gives you lots of practises in various high speed cornerings. Everyone can go fast on the long straights so we don't need much practises on that, but they sure are more fun.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
X51 is overpriced, but I got it free in the club coupe so why not.

Mission as a track may be too small, but it gives you lots of practises in various high speed cornerings. Everyone can go fast on the long straights so we don't need much practises on that, but they sure are more fun.
I agree the X51 is overpriced, and if you have it, enjoy it. I wouldn't complain if I had it.

I did 9 days at Mission last year, this year I will do 5, 2 PCA and 3 others (hopefully open lapping days). I really like Seattle and hope to do Portland and possibly a few in NoCal as well.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:44 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Northvan,

Great to hear and thanks for the review.

These are the 2 mods i really want to do to my car.

How is the noise/rattling from the LWFW?

Did you replace the bearings too?

Old 01-12-2009, 03:08 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
A little nervous about LWFW mods after Blakt Out's engine failure... Not sure if he has heard if his failure was related however...

Jason

Old 01-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by mobonic
Northvan,

Great to hear and thanks for the review.

These are the 2 mods i really want to do to my car.

How is the noise/rattling from the LWFW?

Did you replace the bearings too?
I haven't noticed any noticeable noise, so far this mod seems to be as smooth as the OEM, it is just a quicker up and down rev both under load and with out load.

The shop that did the work did have some "shop supplies", and I would assume that if they needed a bearing, then they would switch it.

You will love these mods, I can already see how my exit speeds from corners will be a lot quicker then the OEM set up.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I would be surprised if the LWFW was what hurt BlaktOut's engine. He's done about every mod in the book, including adding and then removing an SC, and drives hard on track, which is to say there are some more obvious culprits.
CATTMAN

Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by JEllis
A little nervous about LWFW mods after Blakt Out's engine failure... Not sure if he has heard if his failure was related however...

Jason
As you have said, there is no feedback as to what caused the problem with Jared's car (Blaktout), but I would imagine that the LWFW was not the source of the problem. I even asked the Service Manager about the possibility of Harmonic vibration causing some major problems like GT3 engines with GT3RS flywheels, and apparently this won't be an issue on the C2S.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:15 PM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
hey Ed... good to hear you got your car back!

the LSD will make your car much "easier" to drive on the limit...like you said.... oversteer is very easily noticed and corrected. i have never driven a 911 wihtout a real LSD...so i dont know what it would feel like without one. but i know my car is relatively easy to drive.

also, the LWFW is not hard to drive around town... i got used to it right away...and definetly makes H&T downshifting a breeze. enjoy!! hopefully i can get to the track this year!!

Rod

Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I wonder if the LWFW gains power at the wheels due to less mass to rotate?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:28 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
As you have said, there is no feedback as to what caused the problem with Jared's car (Blaktout), but I would imagine that the LWFW was not the source of the problem. I even asked the Service Manager about the possibility of Harmonic vibration causing some major problems like GT3 engines with GT3RS flywheels, and apparently this won't be an issue on the C2S.
Here is what Jared wrote. Hope he does not mind me posting this in another thread. I know he did not really want to assume anything until the engine was properly looked over.

"Sorry buddy, but you're off on this one. The flywheel goes onto the end of the crank. While it is inside the bellhousing of the transmission, it is on the engine. It should be balanced with the engine, machina is right. It might be why my motor just blew, because once lightening up one side of the crank, now the bearings didn't seat perfectly. I dropped the engine off today to be analyzed to see what happened.

I love the benefits of my lwfw. BUT, it is a huge oversight to think that the lwfw doesn't need to be balanced."

Makes sense to me, and as you stated there are reported cases with the GT3. I am still on the fence on this one. Coming from an M3 where LWFW are a pretty standard mod I would be surprised if they are causing issues on the 997. However, these Porsche engines are little more finicky and built to very tight tolerances.

I do agree the LWFW is a great mod for any car in terms of the bang for the buck performance and feel that is gained!

Jason

Old 01-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
I wonder if the LWFW gains power at the wheels due to less mass to rotate?
I can see your theory, but I have been under the impression that the loss was due to friction and gear lash, but not 100% sure. Either way Dyno numbers aren't important to me, I am just trying to use all of the power that the engine makes, and as soon as possible.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by silver_6r
hey Ed... good to hear you got your car back!

the LSD will make your car much "easier" to drive on the limit...like you said.... oversteer is very easily noticed and corrected. i have never driven a 911 wihtout a real LSD...so i dont know what it would feel like without one. but i know my car is relatively easy to drive.

also, the LWFW is not hard to drive around town... i got used to it right away...and definetly makes H&T downshifting a breeze. enjoy!! hopefully i can get to the track this year!!

Rod
Rod, I hope you can make it out. Both you and Aaron have very well moded 996's, be nice to see them out on the track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LSD and LWFW Impressions