997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

VR vs ZR rated tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 AM
gjnockie is infamous around these parts
VR vs ZR rated tires

What is everyone's thoughts concerning tire replacement speed ratings when it comes time to buy new tires?

Has anyone installed VR rated tires on their 997 instead of ZR's?

If your not going to track your car or plan on exceeding 150 mph which I would guess most of us will not do then why spend the extra money for the ZR rated tires?

There are plenty of good sticky VR rated tires available at attractive prices.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:07 AM
ir_fuel is infamous around these parts
Do VR rated tyres exist in N spec?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:20 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Do VR rated tyres exist in N spec?
I would be surprised if they even exist in the OEM tire size, let alone in N spec.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:34 AM
MartinJF is infamous around these parts
Personally I would not do it and I wonder about liability in the case of an accident, but provided you can find the right size then I would guess you are good to go.

I would not track them!

On the road you should be fine, I suspect that many folks with older cars and fewer $ invested in their cars do it.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Which tires are you considering? That might help.
But IMHO, when you signed up for 997*.* ownership, you accepted the burden of maintaining the car with OEM or better parts. The costs are non-trivial, but the cost of the car is far greater.
For what's out there today, I'd never drift from PS2's.

Originally Posted by MartinJF
Personally I would not do it and I wonder about liability in the case of an accident, but provided you can find the right size then I would guess you are good to go.

I would not track them!

On the road you should be fine, I suspect that many folks with older cars and fewer $ invested in their cars do it.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:46 PM
GLTRASK1 is infamous around these parts
I just replaced rears and didn't want michelins again-noisy, overpriced and crappy warranty help-looked around and ended up putting toyo proxes on. i have the sport design 19s. got both rears mounted and balanced for around $550. used oe size 295/35/zr19. getting near time for fronts so will use same tire there. I can't tell any difference from the ps2 although i know there is some performance trade-off but since this is a daily driver and I'm not interested in tracking this car it made sense to me.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:25 PM
gjnockie is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all of your comments, I suppose it's best to stick with zr rated tires for the 997.

Anyone have any suggestions as to which tire would be the quietest? I have been in some cars that had a lot of tire noise.