997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Would the extra $$ & power bring more satisfaction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Overrated ?! You jest .
I owned two 997S cars . One was modded too . Great cars . In fact the modded car ran well with a Turbo but would still get wiped on the straight .

Modding the Turbo --it's bye bye ..... to just about anything except maybe another slammed up Turbo or avery select car.

Have you seen the comparison of the Gt3 Vs Turbo both modded . The Turbo isn;t a 700 car either . http://www.blinkx.com/video/head-2-h...Lpsd6m5HktT14g
I couldn't be bothered. There is much more to life than boosted dyno charts and 0-60 times. Straights are for Fords and Chevys. A Porsche was made for curves.
I admit to a little twisted pleasure in running down and getting blue flag point-byes from a handful of GT3s, 997TTs and Lambos on a good day at the track. If I drive well my little 2.5 pea-shooter can still get it done.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
I couldn't be bothered. There is much more to life than boosted dyno charts and 0-60 times. Straights are for Fords and Chevys. A Porsche was made for curves.
I admit to a little twisted pleasure in running down and getting blue flag point-byes from a handful of GT3s, 997TTs and Lambos on a good day at the track. If I drive well my little 2.5 pea-shooter can still get it done.
I don't sneer at any of these cars . That includes the Boxter or Cayman . In fact get the jump on Turbo and run with momentum and the 997tt driver will still have to press the pedal.

And on the curves the Gt3 might win in that video but lap times at the ring speak for the Turbo http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html

On the straights or a daily street car --is it worth it ? I think it is .

The original poster asks the question that many Turbo owners answer as the reason behind buying the car .

Some prefer the seamless feel of the NA engine but I am not kidding when I say that the Evoms upgrade puts down the most linear acceleration that i have ever experienced and with the Tubi exhaust howling it's a blissful symphony .

And BTW --I like the 997.2 so much I want to have BOTH .

Nowadays Turbos are priced so well on the used market that its almost a bargain . With mods on that car he can have that dream . It's the one that many Porsche owners have had since we were little kids ourselves .

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-16-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
If you want to go faster spend the money on Porsche DE with guys like Hurley Haywood. You're, with all due respect, probably not currently getting even close to the performance the car is capable of. Do the DE (cheaper by far than trading for a Turbo) and you will end up blowing the doors of Turbo drivers on the track. Start with the fundamentals first and when the car becomes the limiting factor in your speed then trade up to (the better choice by far) a GT3.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 AM
GOOGc4s is infamous around these parts
Stay with the C4S. I too have a C4S and love it. It has all options other than the turbo. The looks are incredicle and I installed HRE's for shoes and the stance can't be beat. The reason I say keep the car is that if most Porsche owners, including myself, really knew how to drive these machines we would realize that the S model has more HP than needed. Lets be honest when we have our rpms in the powerband say between 5,500 to 7,000 rpms is that not enough power/torque to feel the excitement??? All I can say is before you know it the car is doing over 120 mph and hopefully you haven't lost your license to the local authorities. Turbo is a status symbol. If driven correctly, the S is fast enough.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:19 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Le Chef
If you want to go faster spend the money on Porsche DE with guys like Hurley Haywood. You're, with all due respect, probably not currently getting even close to the performance the car is capable of. Do the DE (cheaper by far than trading for a Turbo) and you will end up blowing the doors of Turbo drivers on the track. Start with the fundamentals first and when the car becomes the limiting factor in your speed then trade up to (the better choice by far) a GT3.
That is great advice, I think that the 997 S has a ton of power. I would be scared with 500+HP in my car. I must also add that the DE's are a lot of fun and will open your eye's to why you really own a Porsche. Be careful, it is very addicting.

I also agree that the GT3 is the 911 to have. Turbo's don't interest me (accept for the GT2)

Old 01-16-2009, 09:44 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
my 06 C2S juiced to about 400 CHP. Yesterday drove a Noble (2300#, about 550 HP). Two completely different cars, and I'd say the same thing about yours and a Turbo - so check the last 4 month's depreciation then see if you really want a little more spit. Also, by the way, at last Sunday's PCA Orlando autocross both a couple of boxsters and a C4S were faster than the turbos.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:19 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !

This is not the reasoning of most who buy a Turbo . In fact even those points of (paraphrasing) a NA engine touted as "king of the track" can be debated because the track the lap times at Nurburging have the Turbo and Gt3 very close . Weather conditions may effect results too. I don't see any Gt3 exactly "blowing away" a Turbo. http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?fID...3&viewThread=y

Plus if he wants to be king of the streets -- a Turbo has a very assertive entrance plus he can even get his supple leather if that is what he wants .

Most Turbo buyers want a blend . They want a luxury pwer car capable of giving daily driving comforts with blistering speed .

Even looking on 6speed .
The fastest cars are Turbos and Gt2's. And many of those drivers use the cars to drive to work .

Why is it that one can't love both cars for different reasons ? Each has character .

Old 01-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
Differences of opinion

I happen to prefer N/A for it's sharper throttle response, and rwd for greater nimbleness. Having driven both Turbo and GT3 at the track (neither mine I might add) for me it was no contest as to which was the better car. And frankly the last version of the GT3 was more than comfortable on the broken pavement in the Midwest.

But each to his own.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:01 PM
I happen to prefer N/A for it's sharper throttle response, and rwd for greater nimbleness. Having driven both Turbo and GT3 at the track (neither mine I might add) for me it was no contest as to which was the better car. And frankly the last version of the GT3 was more than comfortable on the broken pavement in the Midwest.

But each to his own.
There are many Porsche models and each has a buyer who picks the vehicle based on preference . The NA throttle actually was greatly improved with modding (I had the F77) but so can the Turbo . The Evoms kit makes the Turbo throttle almost feel like a seamless accelerating jet .

The original poster refers to a childhood dream . For me it had the juvenile characteristics of "the fast and furious" fused with the sophistication and class of the 911 Turbo . The ability to smoke vettes and vipers while at the same time not embarrass itself with Carrera GT's --priced somewhere in the middle and comfortable enoigh to drive to work or on a date .

Heck .. the 997tt is Porsche bliss in the purest form offering both civilized driving with an ultra wild side .

Old 01-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Every Porsche has its purpose and yet there are no perfect cars. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. There are no right or wrong answers here. The OP posed a question and solicited our opinions. We weigh in, each with our own experience and perspective. Ultimately it's his car and his bank account. It will be his decision.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
At this point the thread had morphed, and I like where it's going, although I know it's been reharshed a bazillion times: TT vs GT3.
Anyone care to (re) start a thread on this? I guess it should be in another forum.
CATTMAN

Old 01-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Cattman
At this point the thread had morphed, and I like where it's going, although I know it's been reharshed a bazillion times: TT vs GT3.
Anyone care to (re) start a thread on this? I guess it should be in another forum.
CATTMAN
If it's posted in the Gt3 forum the replies will differ from the 997tt forum.
It's similar with the Targa in the original post . Had it been posted in the 997tt forum the OP woild have gotten more Turbo positive feedback. In fact many Turbo owners have owned NA cars . Very few simply went out and bought the Turbo as his first Porsche .

Since I have owned both and like both I post on both forums . I can give credit to the 997S as well as the 997tt .

But YES --it is worth it !! It's even more worth it to mod the Turbo . The results are astounding . Lets just for fun place up a few clips of some of the Turbo owners who posted their cars .

Here's one (fast forwardc to 50 sec)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkg2EMpPeeA

Look at another (different Tuner --rocket fast) (997tt vs zo6)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRvrOMgau4k

Here's another -- Similar engine to mine . Evt 700 I have not posted on you tube BTW .evt 700 vs e55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP4O_3-fB7U

All three are examples of thev extraordinary potential in the 997tt .

Old 01-16-2009, 09:04 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of

Probably the best advice of this whole discussion. Ron Zitza, an experienced racer (Rolex 24 hours and many others) and mechanic (owns Zotz Racing, Inc. ) and trainer suggested the same thing to me when I approached him about some mods - just get a great instructor like Haywood (it will cost you) and not just a gracious well meaning weekend warrior. I did not take his advice and I love being able to spin my tires but it sure as hell has not made me a more accomplished driver.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by tejoe
Probably the best advice of this whole discussion. Ron Zitza, an experienced racer (Rolex 24 hours and many others) and mechanic (owns Zotz Racing, Inc. ) and trainer suggested the same thing to me when I approached him about some mods - just get a great instructor like Haywood (it will cost you) and not just a gracious well meaning weekend warrior. I did not take his advice and I love being able to spin my tires but it sure as hell has not made me a more accomplished driver.
Experience always is a plus-- but the machine one places himself in plays a significant role in how far one can go . If you wish to limit and justify a boundary of choosing car A over car B then do so but the overwhelming counterpoint evidence can not be ignored.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Experience always is a plus-- but the machine one places himself in plays a significant role in how far one can go . If you wish to limit and justify a boundary of choosing car A over car B then do so but the overwhelming counterpoint evidence can not be ignored.
So you are suggesting that a lower HP car choice today will limit how much you can achieve with performance driving tomorrow??
That is so untrue.
No 24hr Le Mans or F1 Champion started out in a twin turbo. They developed their skills in 125cc Karts, Migets, etc. As they honed their driving skills they moved up into more powerful cars.
No motocross champions started out in 400cc open class. They developed their riding skills on 80cc-100cc and as their skills improved they moved up to more powerful bikes.
No World Champion sailors started out as helmsman in an Open 60 racing yacht. They developed their skills in Sabots, Lido 14s and Hobie Cats and moved into more powerful boats as their skills improved.

Horsepower is way overrated. The "Horsepower is everything" mania misses so much of what Porsche is all about. There really is a lot more to these cars than dyno charts and 0-60. I suspect that very very few members here are capable of continuous lapping at 10/10ths on a technical track with their car in bone stock trim...myself included. In a modern Porsche the driver is nearly always the limitation, not the car.

Whatever car you choose to drive today, you can always buy a more powerful one tomorrow.

Last edited by Cajundaddy; 01-17-2009 at 03:22 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would the extra $$ & power bring more satisfaction?