997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Who would trade their 911 for an M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Tomas Winroll is a jewel in the roughTomas Winroll is a jewel in the roughTomas Winroll is a jewel in the roughTomas Winroll is a jewel in the rough
Hey curio

you are spending too much time at disney land exposing your brain to the hot california sun

there is no way that the m3 is a faster car then the 911. Maybe in never never land, but not in nyc or any other part of the real world

you have made about the same amount of sense as trying to understand donald duck.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:42 AM
VMM
VMM is infamous around these parts
Um, I don't remember the thread I was referring to having any discussion of what was going on here or in any Porsche forum. They were just having a civilized discussion of whether the op should go 997 or M3. Quite a few M3 owners leaned 997... many leaned M3. I've owned an M3 for 3.5 years and will probably always have one. If it wasn't for a third child I'd have an e90 DCT M3 in the garage right now. I just think the whole point of this thread has gotten lost. Throw out the stats, performance, magazines, whatever literature search you choose to do. I don't think anyone here would trade in their Porsche for an M3. Quite a few on the BMW forum would be willing to do just that. Having said that... a lot would probably have both.

Originally Posted by CURI0
Um, if you actually read the thread the majority of the guys there know me and are laughing at how some of the P car guys are handling the discussion.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:48 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tomas Winroll
Hey curio

you are spending too much time at disney land exposing your brain to the hot california sun

there is no way that the m3 is a faster car then the 911. Maybe in never never land, but not in nyc or any other part of the real world

you have made about the same amount of sense as trying to understand donald duck.

Very funny

Old 02-04-2009, 09:02 AM
rickmdz is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

+1 well said Skylar's Dad #127

Last edited by rickmdz; 02-04-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:38 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
And to set the record straight on the LSD on my car, it was just installed. I was kicking M3 *** with the stock open diff that came with the car. My friend that has the M3 was not happy to hear that I put this in, as he realizes he won't be able to stay with my 997.
Slight change of topic, but what's the realistic price outlay to have a Quaife diff purchased and installed on a 997?

Old 02-04-2009, 12:14 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CMOS
Slight change of topic, but what's the realistic price outlay to have a Quaife diff purchased and installed on a 997?
I bought my LSD at a good price, and installed it with the LWFW. I would think that $3000 would be a good estimate.

A few board sponsors sell them, check out there sight for pricing.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CURI0
The Z06 would mop the floor with either car. That is a fact, I can admit it, yet I don't want it. However, the M3 outperforming the 911 drives people here nuts and they refuse to see it.

I think a lot more guys buy the 911 for the brand name, not the same case with the M3. Either way, it happens on both ends.
Now we are making some progress!

You do not want the Vette-- EVEN though it is a better performer.

We do not want the BMW-- EVEN though its performance numbers are close.

Overall, I agree I would rather have the BMW as well over the Vette for various intangible reasons even though the Vette is a much better performer- especially for the price.

The same can be said of the 997 over the M3- the M3 performance may be close (997S) or maybe even (997) but I would stil rather have either 997 over the M3 for various intangible reasons. (including the LOGO)

So for me....997>M3>Vette>GTR

and as you have clearly pointed out- it is not all about the performance...

We have found common ground.

Cheers-

SD

Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM
RiceEater is infamous around these parts
This thread reminds me of some of the earlier ones here when the 997S first came out:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...vs-n-m3-2.html
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...dded-n-m3.html

The m3 fanboys were so adamant that the e46 m3 was faster than everything! So when the new 997S came out, they all stated it was slow and that their sedans could smoke em.

One of the members here stepped up and allowed them to race his 997s and videotape it. They raced his car stock vs stock, then stock vs camm'd/tuned, then modded vs modded, and he kicked the m3's *** every single time.

It's just a matter of time til someone gets his e92's *** handed to him...

History always seems to have a way of repeating itself since some people just don't learn!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:39 PM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
CURIO - over on Bimmerpost a couple of the guys in the 1Addicts board tried to start the same sort of thing you're doing here on M3Post. The thread was closed down and Larry (moderator) said:

"Guys, none of that crap will be tolerated. All you're doing is forcing a much larger group of people to come over to the 1addicts community and reciprocate. Please think before "having your 30 seconds of fun"."

Suggest you listen to that same advice. Maybe you're think you're just having some fun and it is funny in a strange way to follow this pointless discussion but really all you're doing is proving nothing to both audiences.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by lig
The amusement factor of this thread is very high!

Going by some of the arguements posted here - all E92 M3 owners are morons.

Here's why:

Not to mention that in the PacNW a ton of M3 owners seem to be kids who have daddy or mommy buying their cars for them.

To make matters worse the E92 M3 doesn't even look as clean as a 335i with that goofy hood bulge.

The only M3 I'd really like to have in an E30. Love that car. A 2002tii would be nice in my garage as well.

Finally - I would hope that none of my fellow 997 owners would be juvenile enough to go to the M3 boards and get into this "mine's better" kind of trolling. It's stupid.

Flame away, Bimmer fanbois! It's all in good fun.
+1000 agree with your comments above.

I just looked over at the m3 forum and I'm a bit disgusted by their convo's: m3 vs GTO! m3 vs 335i! m3 vs veyron! The sh*t is ridiculous

I first thought that they were all being sarcastic, but then I read the thread and saw that they were serious!

Seriously, how could one BMW 3series guy talk smack about another 3series guy? That's like us talking smack about the 997 guys vs 997S guys vs 997.2 guys vs cabs vs GT3's vs Turbos!

I guess some people have a need to feel special for their car purchases, and feel a need to justify the purchase.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by RiceEater
This thread reminds me of some of the earlier ones here when the 997S first came out:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...vs-n-m3-2.html
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...dded-n-m3.html

The m3 fanboys were so adamant that the e46 m3 was faster than everything! So when the new 997S came out, they all stated it was slow and that their sedans could smoke em.

One of the members here stepped up and allowed them to race his 997s and videotape it. They raced his car stock vs stock, then stock vs camm'd/tuned, then modded vs modded, and he kicked the m3's *** every single time.

It's just a matter of time til someone gets his e92's *** handed to him...

History always seems to have a way of repeating itself since some people just don't learn!
Thanks for the links, it seems as if one thing is common in this thread to those.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the links, it seems as if one thing is common in this thread to those.
Yeah, it's the m3 trolls!

Not every owner is one though. I have family and close friends that are devoted BMW fans and we talk and they just say why they enjoy the car, which is what I think most normal people can appreciate.Some owners are secure with their purchase, and can live with the feedback that is given to them.

Others have a different approach and have a need to "push" their car's stats/performance/etc onto others, despite no one noticing the car anyway (since it does look like a 3series... and like seinfeld says: "not that there's anything wrong with that!"). These owner types always get into it: Which car is better, which company is better, etc etc.

Porsche is a very different company than BMW. Over time I see some things they are starting to learn from one another. But when it comes to me spending my hard earned money, I do not mind giving it to the company that invests in sports car technology:
-first to put ceramic brakes on a production car
-first to develop a carbon ceramic clutch for a manual transmission
-developed a double clutch gearbox 20 years ago
-first to develop electronically controlled/adjustable engine mounts
-continuous investment into engineering a rear engined car with a boxer engine
-long term durability model testing in extreme conditions prior to market release

Not saying one is better than the other, but I know why I bought a Porsche and not a BMW.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aggie57
CURIO - over on Bimmerpost a couple of the guys in the 1Addicts board tried to start the same sort of thing you're doing here on M3Post. The thread was closed down and Larry (moderator) said:

"Guys, none of that crap will be tolerated. All you're doing is forcing a much larger group of people to come over to the 1addicts community and reciprocate. Please think before "having your 30 seconds of fun"."

Suggest you listen to that same advice. Maybe you're think you're just having some fun and it is funny in a strange way to follow this pointless discussion but really all you're doing is proving nothing to both audiences.
There is not a group of BMW people coming over here and flaming everyone. As far as I'm concerned, this is a civilized discussion despite a few of the ignorant 997 owners who are not able to contribute.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:10 PM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
neva! 911 forever

Old 02-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Your significant seat time was probably around the block on a test drive, I was referring to time on the track.

As for the gas milage, again I was referring to the track, when going around the track it would be a great race with yourself to see what went first, the brakes or the tank of gas.

If the brakes are incredible then why did C&D specifically comment on how bad the brakes are?

And finally if you are not here to try and convincing anyone that the M3 is better, what are you wasting our time on? We all came to the conclusion that the 997 was the car to buy, we could have had an M3, and money to upgrade the brakes and yet the 997 is what we choose.

And to set the record straight on the LSD on my car, it was just installed. I was kicking M3 *** with the stock open diff that came with the car. My friend that has the M3 was not happy to hear that I put this in, as he realizes he won't be able to stay with my 997.
I'm not wasting anyones time but my own, get that straight. I assume you are capable of deciding how to spend your own time? You realize you do not have to read any of this, don't you?

Car and Driver never said the brakes performed badly, that is something the 997 guys here invented and it was actually the opposite. The brakes are superb, the car did stop in less distance than the 911 and did outbrake it on the track. The only negative about the M3 brakes was after 3 laps around Laguna Seca they began to soften.

To set the record straight, you installed an LSD, why? You were kicking M3 *** without it? I assume you are talking about the E46 because, no offense, you should be nowhere near a properly driven E92 M3 as every major magazine has consistently shown with professional drivers. Unless, you are somehow able to do things with the outdated MKI that professional drivers can not do with the superior MKII and PDK?

Last edited by CURI0; 02-04-2009 at 03:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who would trade their 911 for an M3?