997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Who would trade their 911 for an M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:31 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
LOL, compared to an Accord, are you serious?
Have you ever taken the E46 to an autocross or track? After the first two turns, you realize that the car has terminal understeer, that can only be balanced by power oversteer. The car never balances...ever!
There was some epiphany by BMW when they began tuning the E9X series, that created balance cars. To wit, the M-coupe cannot lap a track faster than a 335!
I also respect that you chose the Merc over the BMW, but lets not forget that if you remove tire smoking torque from the equation, there is nothing the merc can do better than the M. I think there have been about 30 comparos that said the same thing. My dad has one and it sounds great and is about 20% too fast for the chassis. Certainly thrilling. I would just buy a pontiac G8 and an elise with the extra cash left over

Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JohnM
but lets not forget that if you remove tire smoking torque from the equation, there is nothing the merc can do better than the M.
That's quite a strong statement. I'll bite, how about: look better.

Again, to each is own. Have you owned an E9X, driven it day-in-and-day-out? To me, it got boring.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Everyone has there own levels of boredom, some people wouldn't put up with what others love. The M3 is preety good up to a point, but when you start pushing it towards the edge of the envelope it rears its sedan roots.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:56 AM
redhotmurc333 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
CMOS - Do you remember the days when the M3 was a "limited production" car ?

Yup! I remember that, Waaay back in the dayzzz....that's why my FAVORITE M3 was my Salmon silver E30 M3...The REAL M3 (just in my opinion so I apologize if I offend anyone)~ When M3's actually were scarce and sold in limited quantities~
Not the most powerful car in the world with it's lightweight 4 banger odd displacement 2.3 engine with 195hp, and not the best shifting experience with its LONG throw rubbery feel shifter...And yea slightly tuned Honda CRX's would eat me for lunch in a straightline brawl, BUT that wasn't what that car was made for... because where it shined was in the handling department, especially back then! It was a track superstar with the likes of it's arch rival, the manual shift 4 banger 16v Mercedes 190E Evo...YES when Mercedes had a Manual shift!!!
And that's what the original M3 concept was supposed to be, a lightweight, most horsepower squeezed out from a small displacement engine(although 2.3 was alot for a 4 banger and even more so in the 2.5 Evo Euro only model with 215hp), and great handling track car~
But since then things have changed alot and I mean ALOT! And along the ways, lost some of it's original concept, flavor, and charisma~
Don't get me wrong, the new M3 is a Beautiful car by all standards with PLENTY of RAW power on tap with much respect along with an AGGRESSIVE sound all with with rear seats that can actually be utilized by full sized human beings with creature comforts and ample storage space~ By all means, It is a better car from the E30 variant by todays standards, but just lost some of it's soul along the way by taking a different route~ I started feeling this several years back as I have also had my share of E36 and E46 M3's thereafter and have played with some E92 M3's~
So now, before getting into one, I just empty my mind of the old memories and concept~ because it is a totally different beast from the original M3~ AS IT IS FROM THE 997~
So getting back to the point after my loong essay(sorry)
I would like to conclude by saying that trying to compare the 997 with the E92 M3 is like comparing apples and oranges~ They are BOTH AWESOME cars! And in an ideal world we would ALL have both but if I had only one choice I would take non other than my 997! On ANY given day~
Because I believe that Porsche still stayed true to the game with the 997 and although there are new technologies involved with vast improvements, that's exactly what they are, IMPROVEMENTS while still keeping the heritage alive~ And at the end of the day, it's still a Porsche~ Like the old saying goes..."There is no Substitute"

And to add to this, once again, I hope I didn't offend anyone here who are BMW owners as I am still a BMW owner and everything posted above are just my views thru my past experiences, so I apologize to anyone if I did~
I drive a 08 E90 sedan for my daily driver and it is a GREAT car with a stiff chassis(I did a little suspension work to help a bit! HAHA!) and great gas mileage with all the creature comforts! Not to mention, for perks, with free service, wipers, and brake pads in the duration of the bumper to bumper warranty! Dang wouldn't that be great if Porsche would do the same for us guys!?

Last edited by redhotmurc333; 03-24-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: correction in typos
Old 03-24-2009, 02:42 PM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
All these discussions do is prove there is more than one view on the matter.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:05 PM
KBS911 is infamous around these parts
Let me think a minute..............................Uhhhhhhhh, NO!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Screamin911 has a spectacular aura aboutScreamin911 has a spectacular aura about
I would probably trade my C2 for a new M3, but then again I don't have a Carrera S either

Old 03-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Dlack66 is infamous around these parts
No Way!! are you nuts?

Doug

Old 03-24-2009, 03:16 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Screamin911
I would probably trade my C2 for a new M3, but then again I don't have a Carrera S either
Which would you trade your 996 for? a 997 or a M3?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by aggie57
From what I've read the upgrades have not solved the problems. In fact it seems every time they fix one thing some other problem is introduced.
I guess I have to ask the local guys to see if they experience any problems with their M.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by germeezy1
Everyone has there own levels of boredom, some people wouldn't put up with what others love. The M3 is preety good up to a point, but when you start pushing it towards the edge of the envelope it rears its sedan roots.
LOL.

Those "sedan roots" are STILL enough to outrun a 997.2 C2.

If you want to prefer the 997.2 C2 to an M3 (I do), then at least have enough guts to just say you like it better - it's NOT faster, "sedan roots" or not. IIRC, there IS an M3 sedan available, and it may even be an inch or two SHORTER than the coupe UPON WHICH IT IS BASED!

I'm sure that V8 with an 8400rpm redline is a real yawner too, in comparison to the ultra-thrilling 7200rpm flat 6.

I'll say it again - I prefer the 997 to the M3. But it IS close because of all the tradeoffs the Porsche requires, all for no measurable advantage and plenty of measurable DISadvantages.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:35 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Sorry for not clarifying, I am going down to drive an E90 M3 this weekend probably...but have not driven one up to this point. I am talking about the E46 M3, a car I have alot of drive time in....

And I like the M3, especially the 4 door. Brings back memories of the E36 4 door M3. I still debate finding a way to swap my E36's steering rack into my Vette....LOL

My only problem with the E90/92 M3 is the difficulty and expense of modifying it appreciably. I am sure as time progresses there will be more modification options available.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
. . . and I think the OP was just looking for a diverse opinion set, which he got.
Nah, not so much. OP was in a squabble with an M3 fanboy, and started this thread to insult, hassle and/or embarrass his antagonist. Pretty much everyone knows the answers to this question without asking:

- if money/value is a factor, then the M3 gains an advantage as it offers the same performance and SOME (less than P-car, but not negligible) exclusivity.

- if utility, especially non-carseat-kids, are a factor, then the M3 has the advantage. It has a significantly larger back seat and trunk.

- if high style, exclusivity, and sports car driving experience are top priorities, then the Porsche gains the advantage.

Generally if money and kids/utility aren't major factors, most folks shopping these cars would choose the Porsche. If those are major factors, the M3 gains a LOT of ground in the comparison. It doesn't really take 13 pages and a bunch of hate spewed at BMW and nonsense about the P-car's "superiority" to state the obvious, does it?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:32 PM
GTSilver997 is infamous around these parts
Wow, 13 pages on what should be very clear and simple.

Let's be clear, no one NEEDS a 997, or an M3 for that matter. So it boils down to the intangibles, because if absolute performance is the primary factor, most of us would end up with a Z06. (which I like as well)

Let's not magazine race, because the outright performance delta is negligible at best. Further, I'd even doubt that many here would be capable of utilizing that difference on the track. The real question should be, "Which is the more desirable performance car?" Personally, the 997S is the clear/absolute winner under all scenarios. If I need to haul people around, I have 3 other cars that can do the job much better than the M3.

If someone were to post this question on an M3 forum, but flip it to, "Who would trade their M3 for a 911?", I'd bet that many more would trade their BMW for the Porsche. If we compare the results from the 2 threads, the question of, "Which is the more desirable performance car?" should be very clear and simple. Because most of us know in our hearts, that the idea of trading in a 997S for an E92/90 M3 is absolutely absurd.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Vladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura about
Really, who gives a F**K??
People buy and drive what they like or can afford at the time..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who would trade their 911 for an M3?