997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Who would trade their 911 for an M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Vladm
Really, who gives a F**K??
People buy and drive what they like or can afford at the time..
Exactly. But the thread was started to smash the grapes of some guy who dared to state he preferred (and believed was faster) the M3.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM
carbon///m is infamous around these parts
I love my e46 m3. Would like to get an 997 in addition and keep them both. Both amazing cars.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:03 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by carbon///m
I love my e46 m3. Would like to get an 997 in addition and keep them both. Both amazing cars.
That's what I did.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:33 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
I joined this forum after lurking for a while (the 997 really is an awesome car); it was this thread that prompted me to join. Reading some previous posts in this thread, I was one of the guys on M3Post who suggested getting a 997 over an M3. I was ripped on by one person too; how awesome.

The M3 is a great car (especially for the price) but I think it's on the same level as a 911, regardless of which car is faster on whatever day of the week.

Besides, my dad had a 911 and a 928 a long time ago; I gotta keep tradition in the family.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 PM
VMM
VMM is infamous around these parts
Same here. Love both cars.

Originally Posted by ///M Kevin
That's what I did.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:16 AM
spudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the rough
had the opportunity to spend some time behind the wheel of an e92 6speed. i must say it is an awesome car and very driver oriented. performance is what one would expect from a motorsport division of bmw; great power, handling, and road feel. it is very easy to drive. what i feel is its biggest downfall is its pricing. not sure how it is now but i remeber looking at leases when they were around 1200/mo.
performance wise i would say it is very close to the performance of c2 and c2s. but the porsche evokes a completely different image. seen as a much more upmarket car than what the average person would see as a 3 series.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:18 AM
*Sneaky is infamous around these parts
Why not both

Old 06-28-2009, 10:58 AM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by *sneaky
why not both
+1........

Old 06-28-2009, 01:18 PM
epaulbb is infamous around these parts
Would NEVER trade or live without a Porsche again, but wouldn't mind having an M3 for a daily commuter

Old 06-28-2009, 03:11 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
This is one of the longest threads I have seen on this forum

I wouldn't trade my 911 to an M3 unless there was a guy holding a gun to my head... I like 911s bc they are much smaller cars, but I love the V8 on the M3s...

Old 06-29-2009, 04:24 PM
rditri is infamous around these parts
Never. Why would anyone step down. You'd have to concoct some amazing story to convince someone the M3 was the better choice.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rditri
Never. Why would anyone step down. You'd have to concoct some amazing story to convince someone the M3 was the better choice.
I thought I saw some guy on M3post trade down when the economy tanked... didn't like to be seen in an expensive car. I'm sure everybody in this country can afford an M3.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:12 PM
muifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of light
M5 and 997 for me...

Originally Posted by ///M Kevin
That's what I did.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rditri
REALLY?

I certainly prefer the 911, especially C2S.

However, I can see there is a utility advantage to the M3, and about the same performance (and a less sports car feel no question).

I'd think it would depend greatly upon your circumstances. If you need that utility, still want the performance, maybe prefer the sleeper aspect of a 3 series that's really fast, and can't/won't spend the extra for the Porsche, the M3 does make sense.

On the other hand, as an occasional car, especially if you can afford it and another nice car for daily use, the 911 is fantastic.

I wish I could have both.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:15 PM
afridi is infamous around these parts
I had an E36 and an E46 M3. They were great cars. Handled well. And the E36 made a superb track car. The handling is brilliant.

I played with a caymn for a year and a half. While brisk, and a good handler it just seemed bland and soulless. Needed a Borla exhaust and software upgrades plus race plenum to make it even remotely interesting.

The 911 otoh is a great sports car. I havent driven the new M3. But I would never trade the 911 for it. They Cayman I might have.

In the BMW store where I bought my BMWs there was always a reletively new Porsche 911S on the showroom floor traded in for a BMW (usually an M car). So there are those that do.

I dont feel like dissing the M3. It is a sedan tuned for power and handling. BMW do a much better job of making a drivers car than Mercedes (imo) and Audi (debateable i suppose).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who would trade their 911 for an M3?