997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Who would trade their 911 for an M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:35 PM
ScottGT3 is infamous around these parts
I had 911's and tried an E46 M3 for a year, and got bored quickly. I keep reading how great the new M3's are, went and drove one, and walked away very disappointed. They are definitely two different cars. As a back-up 4 door sedan, maybe. There really is no substitute for Porsche 911's!!

Old 06-30-2009, 05:34 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
i love my 997 but kept my old E55 for long highway trips. it's a great combo.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:07 AM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
REALLY?

I certainly prefer the 911, especially C2S.

However, I can see there is a utility advantage to the M3, and about the same performance (and a less sports car feel no question).

I'd think it would depend greatly upon your circumstances. If you need that utility, still want the performance, maybe prefer the sleeper aspect of a 3 series that's really fast, and can't/won't spend the extra for the Porsche, the M3 does make sense.

On the other hand, as an occasional car, especially if you can afford it and another nice car for daily use, the 911 is fantastic.

I wish I could have both.
Kurt,

As one who does you can use a 997 as a daily driver with no issues. Especially the 997.2's with the better PCM, bluetooth and so on.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 AM
genew is infamous around these parts
hey Aggie..how many miles a year do you drive? you must have an in with a good dealer to take the depreciation hit for a yearly trade? Maybe a brother in law?? Ha! Bet you grin every day behind the wheel of your daily driver!!

Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aggie57
Kurt,

As one who does you can use a 997 as a daily driver with no issues. Especially the 997.2's with the better PCM, bluetooth and so on.
Yea, as long as you're not hauling a kid of any size, or more than one friend, I see it could work in that regard.

I'm not wealthy enough to erode a $100k+ vehicle at the rate it'll tank as a daily driver, and I don't want to spend all my time away from my car wondering who is keying/door-dinging/whatever my sweet ride.

Lastly, I'm not certain I have the self discipline to keep my driving so stunningly sedate and under utilized for such a car. The time I've had behind the wheel of 911s, I found their responsiveness of engine and suspension addictive. To just melt into traffic in the mind-numbing commute slog, parked at the grocery seems such a waste if not abuse!

:-)

Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Kurt, I can appreciate your concern of driving a $100K car in to depreciation by using it as DD, but even a Garage Queen will devalue at almost the same rate. When these cars are 10 years old, how much less will a normal use vs a low usage car be worth? A few thousand dollars?

To me I by cars to drive them, and when it is time for a new one, bring it on. It may be expensive, but you can't take your money with you when you die!

I agree that the 997 is useless beyond 2 seats, the rear seats are too small for my 5 and 3 year. I have the Touareg for the days that I need the extra seats.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Kurt, I can appreciate your concern of driving a $100K car in to depreciation by using it as DD, but even a Garage Queen will devalue at almost the same rate. When these cars are 10 years old, how much less will a normal use vs a low usage car be worth? A few thousand dollars?

To me I by cars to drive them, and when it is time for a new one, bring it on. It may be expensive, but you can't take your money with you when you die!

I agree that the 997 is useless beyond 2 seats, the rear seats are too small for my 5 and 3 year. I have the Touareg for the days that I need the extra seats.
Gotcha.

I may "get around" this to some extent by buying a CPO . . . let that first 1/4 to 1/3 of MSRP depreciation be borne by someone else. The rest comparatively creeps down . . .

Old 07-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
That these comparisons continue is a positive tribute to BMW's long-standing marketing excellence and it's impact on the buying public, auto reviewers and others. Truth is, when you distill it down, the comparison is between a sedan and a sports car.
Yes, the sedan (M3) is one of the finest of it's breed and has only two doors, but a sedan nonetheless. Four seats, taller seating position, optimized for more space, more comforts and less focus on reduced weight. In fact, these are the reasons one would consider buying an M3 versus a 911. Not the driving or performance experience.
The Porsche is a pure and highly refined sports car. Less space, less visibility, less comfort. But broadly better performance, even if it gives up something in pure straight-line speed.
So, if you want or need a sporty sedan, go get an M3. If you want a sports car, a 911 is a great choice. But in fact the more interesting question, from a purist perspective is whether you'd give up your 911 for:
An R8? Amazing performance, mid-engine handling, a very 'modern' car. Also great racing heritage;
A Cayman? Less power but likely the best 'driving' Porsche from a handling and balance perspective.
Flame on.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:45 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
To me these are different cars, so I could only see someone trading a 911 for an M3 if their personal needs changed (as previously stated, more comfort / more room). Can't do a 1-1 comparison here, it's apples and oranges.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Yep. Exactly. And if it boils down to 'changing needs' why ask the forum? Though it is fodder for good and ongoing fun.

Originally Posted by p0rsch3
To me these are different cars, so I could only see someone trading a 911 for an M3 if their personal needs changed (as previously stated, more comfort / more room). Can't do a 1-1 comparison here, it's apples and oranges.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Into Eternity is infamous around these parts
I am trying not to trade in my M3 for a 997, as I would like to keep the M for a daily driver as it is now, looking at the 996 to keep cost down but I have a feeling once I start seriously test driving some cars the 997 may win that battle.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Verde
That these comparisons continue is a positive tribute to BMW's long-standing marketing excellence and it's impact on the buying public, auto reviewers and others.
Yea, it's ALL the marketing, and NONE of the nearly identical performance, 1/3 less cost and more comfort.

Truth is, when you distill it down, the comparison is between a sedan and a sports car.
Yes, the sedan (M3) is one of the finest of it's breed and has only two doors, but a sedan nonetheless.
E90, E92, E93. One is a sedan, one a coupe and one a hardtop convertible. ALL can be had as an M3.

Four seats, taller seating position, optimized for more space, more comforts
Agreed.

. . . and less focus on reduced weight.
That's for sure. Hard to believe an M3 can weigh high 3000s (coupe/sedan) to low 4000s ('vert)!

In fact, these are the reasons one would consider buying an M3 versus a 911. Not the driving . . .
Agreed that these are reasons to consider an M3, as is price, but the driving, at least as far as actual measurable performance goes, is also a good reason.

. . . or performance experience.
Whoops. Not so sure that's true. The M3 comes in BETWEEN a 997.2 and 997.2S in performance, whether we're discussing straight line, or road course.

The Porsche is a pure and highly refined sports car. Less space, less visibility, less comfort.
I agree, it's focused on being a sports car, and it feels like it.

But broadly better performance,
That's simply not true. I prefer the 911S because I like the low stance, classic look and responsiveness, but a 997.1 or 997.2 non-S is nowhere near "broadly better performance" than an M3. A 997.1S or 997.2 non-S is nearly identical to an M3 in relevant performance measures. I'm pretty sure a 997.2 S is superior in a straight line also.

. . . even if it gives up something in pure straight-line speed.
I believe a 997.2 non-S is about even with an M3 in straight line performance, while the 997.2S is somewhat faster in a straight line, along with braking.

So, if you want or need a sporty sedan, go get an M3. If you want a sports car, a 911 is a great choice.
I agree completely.

But in fact the more interesting question, from a purist perspective is whether you'd give up your 911 for:
An R8? Amazing performance, mid-engine handling, a very 'modern' car. Also great racing heritage;
A Cayman? Less power but likely the best 'driving' Porsche from a handling and balance perspective.
Flame on.
Great question. For my taste, the R8 and 911 compete, but the Cayman doesn't fit in this challenge. If I had to choose now, having never driven the Audi, I'd choose a 911S or 4S.

Last edited by Kurt_OH; 07-01-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:46 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
traded in my M6 cab for the 997.2. I know there is no comparison, but the 911 wins for me hands down. it's not the power factor(385 vs 400 in the non-M mode), the M6 certainly weighs a 1000lbs more, but it comes down to handling. Nothing beats the 911! just my 2 cents...

Old 07-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by JenK
traded in my M6 cab for the 997.2. I know there is no comparison, but the 911 wins for me hands down. it's not the power factor(385 vs 400 in the non-M mode), the M6 certainly weighs a 1000lbs more, but it comes down to handling. Nothing beats the 911! just my 2 cents...
That's an unusual comparison, and also odd that you compare the M6 - 100hp to the Pcar at full tilt?!

Whatever, I don't really see a sports car vs Autobahn killer coupe as a great comparison. But I guess from price they are.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:03 PM
ng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
Gotcha.

I may "get around" this to some extent by buying a CPO . . . let that first 1/4 to 1/3 of MSRP depreciation be borne by someone else. The rest comparatively creeps down . . .
Hey Kurt,

CPO is what I did and I'm seriously happy. Buy it and enjoy it like Northvan said. I've tracked mine once and am going again in August. I'm looking for more tracks close by for more options and dates.

I've had cars that I spared the miles on and when I sold them I said "wow, I didn't get much more for it than if I had driven it more." It's worth a few more dollars in depreciation to me now to drive it more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who would trade their 911 for an M3?