997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Who would trade their 911 for an M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:23 PM
SWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud of
I have several friends with M3s, and they're perfectly happy. But just as I wouldn't trade my wifey for their girlfriends, neither would I want their cars. I think that it is just a personal preference, to each his own. BTW, I wouldn't want my friends F430 either, it and his high maintenance wife spend too much time "in the shop".

Old 01-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SWATDoc
I have several friends with M3s, and they're perfectly happy. But just as I wouldn't trade my wifey for their girlfriends, neither would I want their cars. I think that it is just a personal preference, to each his own. BTW, I wouldn't want my friends F430 either, it and his high maintenance wife spend too much time "in the shop".
But when they are performing in their element, no amount of time in the shop overshadows the pelasure they generate.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:05 PM
CPB
CPB is infamous around these parts
No on the trade, but came extremely close to adding an M3 along side the 997.2.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:33 PM
yemenmocha is infamous around these parts
I don't think this was meant to be a serious thread in the first place because the answer is too obvious.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:16 PM
VMM
VMM is infamous around these parts
You said it! I just don't see the comparison between the two cars. They are very different experiences. The M3 is much closer to a sedan (especially the newest generation) while the 911 is a sports that happens to have a tiny back seat. Rear engine versus front engine, etc. It's been discussed in this and other forums/threads ad nauseam. I love having both cars and intend to keep both for the long haul. If I'm lucky... maybe I can get a Ferrari down the road though the maintenance costs are insane. I think getting a gt3 or gt2 if one becomes enough of a track junkie would be the ultimate. One coworker of mine got rid of two ferraris and kept his 911 s2c cabrio. Another who has owned multiple Porsche's would get another (hopefully a gt2 or gt3). I can see that being what you trade in for a 997s.

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
I don't think this was meant to be a serious thread in the first place because the answer is too obvious.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:19 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by yemenmocha

+1 , maybe on a BMW forum you can get another result...

Old 01-31-2009, 10:55 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have seen extremely long threads in past years where the M3 was pitted agaisnt the 996 . At the time the question was posted "would you take the M3 (E46) over the 996 factoring in the price difference" . That was a more interesting question because it pitted a legendary pre Bangle BMW agaisnt a non traditional Porsche .

I still picked the 996 . Actually two of them (an 00 and an 02).

I didn;t leave the E46 BMW out of the picture . I did buy a 328 and a 330 as second household vehicles.

With the price jump of the E92 pitted against a 997S (approx 30K more --rounding up) I feel the heavier and Bangled BMW with i drive has lost its appeal and priced itself out of the market .

I have one . Girlfriend loves the car . It has back seats and we need them. Some here might recall how I wrestled with the decision . If I could go back in time and do it again I would buy the 997S . Passengers would simply have to ride in the Civic . I did consider it back then but now after 9 months of M3 I have my answer .

I will keep it , drive it, use it, considered modding it but won't .
I have to say that factoring in the price and enjoyment level of my three cars the M3 falls in last place behind the Si. Yes the Honda is cheaper and not nearly as fast but it has so much character which the BMW lacks .

This is just my opinion .

Old 01-31-2009, 11:04 PM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
Ive been thinking about a M3 convertible for my wifes car. Funny thing is when I ask her if she wants it or a 07-08 CPO 997 Cabrio, she always picks the Porsche. Good choice.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:11 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zschicago
Ive been thinking about a M3 convertible for my wifes car. Funny thing is when I ask her if she wants it or a 07-08 CPO 997 Cabrio, she always picks the Porsche. Good choice.
The M3 convertible is awful . the roof is heavy , and visibility with the top up is poor. I found the car ugly too . The coupe is the best route .

We did drive one . I happen not to be a convertible person but the test drive was free and I wanted her to see every choice to be happy with the car.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CURI0
Just because it is predominantly a Porsche forum, does not mean it needs to be a Porsche cult. People are still capable of logical reasoning, despite the badge on their car, aren't they?

Yes, it is subjective.

Hi Curio,

People that are capable of logical reasoning will buy a 335i, not the M3. (Sorry Yrralis)

Get over it and enjoy your M3. Nobody said the M3 is a bad car, but we all prefer 997 here and there is nothing you can do to change it. I don't see the logic of your arguments.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:42 PM
The 335i is agreat car yet it lacks a few things that the M3 has. One is the limited slip differential is essential in this car and the 335 has none. The second is that the turbo engine has posed a few snags (overheat, limp mode .. come to mind) . I post on a 3 series forum (Roadfly) too (I have had a few cars) .Theres a few whom I wish would buy a Porsche and post here . Nice group of posters on the E90 board.

There have been some posts of complaints with the 335 as well with the M3 but less common (with the M) and with manual transmission (over DCT) almost none.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:19 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CURI0
First of all, you did not pay 100k for your 997. The majority of Carrera and Carrera S owners here did not either. Secondly, if M3 owners wanted a 997, they would have one. I choose not to buy a 997 for a reason.

Sounds pretty logical to me.
Exactly my point! M3 owners and 997 owners could have easily bought either but chose to go with one for whatever reason. So, if you are on a Porsche forum you are among guys that chose Porsche's because they felt it was the better choice. Or, if you are on a M3 forum, you have guys that chose M3's. I have owned two M3's, I still own my E36 and love it. Their are guys here that own both 08 M3's and 997's.

I really liked my MDCT M3... it was faassst! But I did not love it that was the problem for me. I still have a problem putting my finger on what I did not love about it but there is no denying that it is a great car for the money. Would I ever trade my 997 back in for an M3, No and thats the question being asked here.

So logic would say, asking which you would choose on whatever forum is going to end up catering to the flavor of that particular medium.

Jason

Old 02-01-2009, 03:38 AM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I have seen extremely long threads in past years where the M3 was pitted agaisnt the 996 . At the time the question was posted "would you take the M3 (E46) over the 996 factoring in the price difference" . That was a more interesting question because it pitted a legendary pre Bangle BMW agaisnt a non traditional Porsche .

I still picked the 996 . Actually two of them (an 00 and an 02).

I didn;t leave the E46 BMW out of the picture . I did buy a 328 and a 330 as second household vehicles.

With the price jump of the E92 pitted against a 997S (approx 30K more --rounding up) I feel the heavier and Bangled BMW with i drive has lost its appeal and priced itself out of the market .

I have one . Girlfriend loves the car . It has back seats and we need them. Some here might recall how I wrestled with the decision . If I could go back in time and do it again I would buy the 997S . Passengers would simply have to ride in the Civic . I did consider it back then but now after 9 months of M3 I have my answer .

I will keep it , drive it, use it, considered modding it but won't .
I have to say that factoring in the price and enjoyment level of my three cars the M3 falls in last place behind the Si. Yes the Honda is cheaper and not nearly as fast but it has so much character which the BMW lacks .

This is just my opinion .
The E46 IS a Bangle car... it is actually his best work IMO.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:41 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Hi Curio,

People that are capable of logical reasoning will buy a 335i, not the M3. (Sorry Yrralis)

Get over it and enjoy your M3. Nobody said the M3 is a bad car, but we all prefer 997 here and there is nothing you can do to change it. I don't see the logic of your arguments.
Well, I guess I don't see what you don't see. People buy the car they want to buy. That does not make one better than the other, as it is subjective.

However, as has been said, we can quantify performance aspects, and the 997 (non turbo or GT3) is behind in several areas, acceleration, power, power potential, and handling. The M3 performs incredibly well, give it its due. I do enjoy all my cars.

I understand you enjoy your 997, what is so odd with me saying I enjoy my M3 more than a 997? Seems when the 997 guys say they would not go to an M3 that is fine, but an M3 guy saying he would not go for a 997 is "wrong."

I find the 335 comment on the same level as someone saying buy a cayman instead.

Last edited by CURI0; 02-01-2009 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 AM
djtan is infamous around these parts
no comparison, 911 is the way to go =)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who would trade their 911 for an M3?