997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Who would trade their 911 for an M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 05:47 AM
Sev
Sev is infamous around these partsSev is infamous around these parts
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and p-cars. Just got the porsche and I didn't even consider the M3. I agree with the guys that say that it would be a convenience and space decision (if you needed 4 seats)...

Old 02-01-2009, 06:19 AM
Ridleyguy is infamous around these parts
To introduce another perspective, cost, the cars are in completely different price ranges. In Canada, an M3 Coupe starts at $71,300 and a 911 Coupe at $94,800 - a 33% price differential - not including options. There are obviously a lot more cars in the $70k price range, and far fewer above $100k. The 911 is a $100k car for most countries/buyers - to contradict Curio's comment.

One other point, which is obviously very subjective, is that I think many older members of the Forum would view the M3 as a very nice car, but a young person's car. Fine if you are in your 20's or 30's, etc., but I would guess the older the buyer, the more likely they would be to gravitate towards the M6 or M5 as opposed to the M3. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Ridleyguy; 02-01-2009 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:54 AM
CMJTperry is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ridleyguy
To introduce another perspective, cost, the cars are in completely different price ranges. In Canada, an M3 Coupe starts at $71,300 and a 911 Coupe at $94,800 - a 33% price differential - not including options. There are obviously a lot more cars in the $70k price range, and far fewer above $100k. The 911 is a $100k car for most countries/buyers - to contradict Curio's comment.

One other point, which is obviously very subjective, is that I think many older members of the Forum would view the M3 as a very nice car, but a young person's car. Fine if you are in your 20's or 30's, etc., but I would guess the older the buyer, the more likely they would be to gravitate towards the M6 or M5 as opposed to the M3. Just my opinion.

What he says.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:38 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
a longterm M3 owner perspective

I have to say that as a former (traded-2 weeks ago) E46 M3 owner, I found that the "depth" of character of that car was a bit too shallow. I noted on an earlier post that there had been much discussion of the E46 Vs. the 996, back in the day. I bought my M3 in 2002 and dutifully drove it for 6 and a half years. It had been to numerous track schools and seen a good bit of autocross action. The truth was, the longer I had the car, the greater and more obvious it's faults became. When I first bought the car, I was looking for a sportier alternative to the S4, and it fit that role perfectly. But, when my friend and his C4S introduced me to motorsports, I began finding small flaws with the M3 that grew until I was sick of the car. Besides the flabby brakes, the suspension was tuned for terminal understeer, and if you worked around the understeer, it was like driving in the "dukes of hazzard"..all sideways but no Daisy duke! The front wheels were essentially "rudders"! So then a friend let me drive his boxster S and it was a revelation. The harder I drove it, the angrier it got, and the better it felt. There was no "flab" to be found. I understand that much of the softness and understeer prevalent in the M3 was removed from the new chassis on the E92, but they added a bit too much weight and civility. I suppose that I would love an M3 for a few years until i "learned" it's capabilities, and then I would be unsatisfied, much as I was with the E46. All of my friends who left the porsche brand have withdrawal symptoms, whereas I walked away from my beloved M3 without looking back! Now, it is just to be seen if the 997S2.2 is what it should be. So far, I trust the advice of the venerable members here and have burned all my M3 brochures!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CURI0
I find the 335 comment on the same level as someone saying buy a cayman instead.
Bingo! Glad that you finally see the light. People who buy their cars based on logical reasoning should be buying Cayman and 335i instead of 997 and M3. In fact we should all be just driving Honda Civic.

I never understood why people spend so much on a Ferrari and Lambo and yet a GT3 offers as good/if not better driving experience at half of their price. Yet I am smart enough not to go on their forum and tell them how they should spend their money. And yes, I will get a Ferrari and Lambo one day, realizing that there is no logic involved.

Hope you understand why your arguments are going nowhere in a 997 forum as you can never argue with someone who have emotion and passion towards their 997s, but not just the numbers that our cars generate.

Happy Motoring.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Bingo! Glad that you finally see the light. People who buy their cars based on logical reasoning should be buying Cayman and 335i instead of 997 and M3. In fact we should all be just driving Honda Civic.

I never understood why people spend so much on a Ferrari and Lambo and yet a GT3 offers as good/if not better driving experience at half of their price. Yet I am smart enough not to go on their forum and tell them how they should spend their money. And yes, I will get a Ferrari and Lambo one day, realizing that there is no logic involved.

Hope you understand why your arguments are going nowhere in a 997 forum as you can never argue with someone who have emotion and passion towards their 997s, but not just the numbers that our cars generate.

Happy Motoring.
Arguments based on passion don't necessarily need to go somewhere to be valuable.

However, the 997 guys like to avoid talking about the performance now it seems. Passion has nothing to do with the facts.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:04 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Arguments based on passion don't necessarily need to go somewhere to be valuable.

However, the 997 guys like to avoid talking about the performance now it seems. Passion has nothing to do with the facts.
Yaaaaaawwwwn.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 PM
RiceEater is infamous around these parts

Simply put, it's a damn shame that a stock M3 with its bigger engine and higher horsepower can only match a 3.6L engine with less horsepower on a straight and around a track.

It may cost more, but it's worth it. Plus, it doesn't look like a 92 civic from the back!

Enjoy your m3, and your Rolls, and your other sedans. I'm sure when we are in the market for a cushy car that's as fast or faster than a Porsche, you'll be begged for your expert opinion.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:38 PM
RiceEater is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JohnM
I have to say that as a former (traded-2 weeks ago) E46 M3 owner, I found that the "depth" of character of that car was a bit too shallow. I noted on an earlier post that there had been much discussion of the E46 Vs. the 996, back in the day. I bought my M3 in 2002 and dutifully drove it for 6 and a half years. It had been to numerous track schools and seen a good bit of autocross action. The truth was, the longer I had the car, the greater and more obvious it's faults became. When I first bought the car, I was looking for a sportier alternative to the S4, and it fit that role perfectly. But, when my friend and his C4S introduced me to motorsports, I began finding small flaws with the M3 that grew until I was sick of the car. Besides the flabby brakes, the suspension was tuned for terminal understeer, and if you worked around the understeer, it was like driving in the "dukes of hazzard"..all sideways but no Daisy duke! The front wheels were essentially "rudders"! So then a friend let me drive his boxster S and it was a revelation. The harder I drove it, the angrier it got, and the better it felt. There was no "flab" to be found. I understand that much of the softness and understeer prevalent in the M3 was removed from the new chassis on the E92, but they added a bit too much weight and civility. I suppose that I would love an M3 for a few years until i "learned" it's capabilities, and then I would be unsatisfied, much as I was with the E46. All of my friends who left the porsche brand have withdrawal symptoms, whereas I walked away from my beloved M3 without looking back! Now, it is just to be seen if the 997S2.2 is what it should be. So far, I trust the advice of the venerable members here and have burned all my M3 brochures!
+1 great points. There's not as much depth in mastering a front engined car. The 911 has and will continue to amaze drivers for years.

Some people will never understand and should buy a hyundai (better warranty than an m3- please read sarcasm).

Old 02-01-2009, 07:53 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !

Read the C&D article, isn't that what you kept saying?

If you take the time to read (yes you will have to stop being a Troll) you will see that the 997 and M3 are the same performance numbers. The article even talked about the crappy M3 brakes. The 997 edge out the M3 in your measuring stick for performance, the 1/4 mile.

If you want performance the Porsche will win, last time
I was at the track, they lasted for more then a few laps. If you actually tried a track with turns you will know that the M3 will fail you by the end of the day, the Porsche will continue the day like it started.

Perhaps you and Tim should start talking about who's SUV is faster, I bet you think yours is faster then his.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:20 PM
yemenmocha is infamous around these parts
The others' comments about C&D's preference of the M3 over the 997 turbo, GTR, and others was the real end of this thread as it relates to the actual article. The bias is pathetic.

The current 911 with PDK is 15 seconds faster around the 'ring than the M3. That's performance numbers, not passion.

Even if it was about passion, style, etc. that argument still has persuasion. The M3 may also be comparable to an 8yr old F360, or the current Astin Martin, but nobody would seriously consider the one over the other, unless $ is an issue or practicality. The same goes for Porsche over the M3, easily.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:35 PM
SWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud of
Feel free to join us at our reserved trackside location for this years 12 hours of Sebring if you want to talk about performance. BTW, my BMW, Corvette, AND Porsche buddies will be present to help you out with the more difficult concepts. http://www.sebringraceway.com/forms_...t-Guide-09.pdf

Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
It's sad to see that Old Grey Poupon just can't accept that people prefer the 911 for its superior all round performance, depth of character and history. One paid for review in C&D does not constitute the whole picture.

I guess trolls must ingest some masochistic pain enhancer to keep posting stuff here that no one wants to read.

OK Mr. Poupon, have another try at convincing us that we've got it wrong.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
They are two totally different cars. The M3 is a fabulous sports sedan, but it's no sports car.

I wouldn't trade my 911 for one, but that doesn't mean it's a bad car.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 PM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
After a months of considering ordering a new 2009 M3 (DCT) loaded or a lightly used 997 C2S or C4S, I went with the 911.

In the end, I figured that I could probably go faster with the help of the DCT. But I just wanted to get a car that stood out as more unique. Every day I see all sorts of ordinary BMWs, especially 3 series, roaming around town. The M3 doesn't look that much different from the 328 coupe that is leased up by anyone who wants a BMW.

The Porsche (especially a black C4S 911 w/aerokit) makes something of an individualist statement. I'm not saying that I'm some big rebel for driving it, but at least I'm not everyone else.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who would trade their 911 for an M3?