997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Who would trade their 911 for an M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)
They are two totally different cars. The M3 is a fabulous sports sedan, but it's no sports car.

I wouldn't trade my 911 for one, but that doesn't mean it's a bad car.
The M3 is a fine car but when compared to the 997....

The M3 is more of a "Boy Racer" car than any of the current Porsches.

I agree with the poster who said that you have to explain that the M3 is not your base 3 series sedan

The 997 is so much better looking than the M3 it is not a fair fight

I would consider an M6 before I would consider the M3 - price wise they are more comparable

Last edited by Skylar's Dad; 02-01-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:34 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
CMOS - Do you remember the days when the M3 was a "limited production" car ? That's when BMW used to make this claim and one would go to a dealership who would say they only had one car avilable --charging "MSRP " or even "over sticker" . They would sell it and run in the back and get another car.

Times have changed . BMW made a bunch of 08 M3's and they are sitting on lots even still . Plus Auto Trader has many for sale too.

When I bought mine they had just come out and I was met with such attitude . I did find a car and adealership but not without headache . Even buying the car was different . Service is different . The entire BMW experiennce plus the most important part (the M3 itself) differs.

And its isn't good .

Old 02-01-2009, 11:52 PM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Originally Posted by yrralis1
CMOS - Do you remember the days when the M3 was a "limited production" car ? That's when BMW used to make this claim...
Service is different.
Yep! I clearly remember getting "limited production" BS when I was looking at the E46 M3 in Atlanta in late 2002.

Thanks for reminding me, the service was a big factor for me in going with the 911. The BMW service here is McDonald-land. You drive up into the queue in the morning, get a piece of paper from the check-in guy that indicates any dings and mileage, then you go in and find your "service team." Maybe your service rep is at his desk, maybe he's not. Maybe he's alredy with a customer, maybe not. So you can hang around in the service lobby, with no waiting chairs, until that gets sorted out.

The other thing that was really turning me off were all the recent posts on the BMW boards where owners were fretting about techs going and joyriding in their cars when they would be in for the 1300 mile initial service. Some of the joyriding stories sounded pretty legit. I just didn't want to get involved in that circus scene.

Last edited by CMOS; 02-01-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Le Chef
It's sad to see that Old Grey Poupon just can't accept that people prefer the 911 for its superior all round performance, depth of character and history. One paid for review in C&D does not constitute the whole picture.

I guess trolls must ingest some masochistic pain enhancer to keep posting stuff here that no one wants to read.

OK Mr. Poupon, have another try at convincing us that we've got it wrong.
Use whatever label you want, fact is Car and Driver choose the M3 over the 911... that includes the 997 turbo. Oh, I know, its all advertising dollars. Other magazines come to the same conclusions for the same reasons, right?

The M3 is far more drivers car than a MKI 997S, especially a cab, but most of you can't swallow your pride and admit it. The car is just a couple tenths off the 997 turbo around Laguna Seca, apparently advertising dollars make you lap faster as well. You have it backwards, the M3 has superior all around performance. To get a Porsche motor on a comparable level, you need to step up to a GT3.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, the M3 obviously gets to you, that is more than enough to satisfy me. Call me a heretic next if you wish.

Last edited by CURI0; 02-02-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Read the C&D article, isn't that what you kept saying?

If you take the time to read (yes you will have to stop being a Troll) you will see that the 997 and M3 are the same performance numbers. The article even talked about the crappy M3 brakes. The 997 edge out the M3 in your measuring stick for performance, the 1/4 mile.

If you want performance the Porsche will win, last time
I was at the track, they lasted for more then a few laps. If you actually tried a track with turns you will know that the M3 will fail you by the end of the day, the Porsche will continue the day like it started.

Perhaps you and Tim should start talking about who's SUV is faster, I bet you think yours is faster then his.
I spend plenty of time at the track, just because I list my 1/4 mile time does not mean there is some embargo on road racing. A bit of an ignorant point of view for you to take without any further information for you to base your conclusion.

Too bad the article doesn't mention the crappy wet sump block and the RMS issues, right? Because, I mean, Porsche is perfect.

If you want performance, the M3 trounces it. More power, better chassis, and better balance. The DCT is better as well, buttons? Are you kidding me?

Don't know if my suv is faster than Tim's, I actually use my SUV for utility.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 AM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
The M3 is more of a "Boy Racer" car than any of the current Porsches
Boy Racer... Boy Racer... Boy Racer!! !

Old 02-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
Laugh?

Originally Posted by CURI0
The M3 is far more drivers car than a MKI 997S. Call me a heretic next if you wish.

That is just comical - well wicked - you have a great sense of humor!

Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned

That is just comical - well wicked - you have a great sense of humor!
I would be laughing as well if I spent all that cash to get a "sports car" without a limited slip.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:48 AM
colonel is infamous around these parts
no way.
I thought about getting an M3 to replace the 911, but just couldn't do it.
As an addition - yes; replacemen - no.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:48 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I spend plenty of time at the track, just because I list my 1/4 mile time does not mean there is some embargo on road racing. A bit of an ignorant point of view for you to take without any further information for you to base your conclusion.

Too bad the article doesn't mention the crappy wet sump block and the RMS issues, right? Because, I mean, Porsche is perfect.

If you want performance, the M3 trounces it. More power, better chassis, and better balance. The DCT is better as well, buttons? Are you kidding me?

You are right, I shouldn't assumed that you are just a straight line guy. I am sorry for coming to a conclusion that I didn't have all the facts on.

Now it is your turn to put your big boy pants on and realize that you are way off base in your comments that the M3 Trounces a 997.1C2S. The fact of the matter is that perhaps you are a much better driver then the guys (and gals) that you track with, but from my experience it is the exact opposite. I finally read the article about the M3 vs 997.2C2 and the performance numbers are exactly the same. With all the money you saved buying the M3 you should have an extra $5 around to go buy the magazine and review the numbers. Put the C2S against M3 and it will not be as close.

As it has been said a few times, give it up, this argument will not be won on this forum. The only thing that is happening, is you are loosing respectability amongst the others on this forum. How much are you going to let some one come on the Cayenne board and say that the X5 is a better vehicle then your CS?

Let it go

Let it go

Let it go

Old 02-02-2009, 12:08 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Incase you want the short version on video.

The list some of the performance specs in the video, and the two cars seem evenly matched.

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-08...009-BMW-M3.htm

Old 02-02-2009, 12:08 PM
RiceEater is infamous around these parts

So what makes you think that the e92's "internal dry sump" (aka wet sump) is way better than Porsche's, especially since it can barely burn past a car with an engine that is down in cylinders, displacement, horses, and torque with worse gas mileage?

Yeah, you may want to review your car's engine schematics before you start barking about "dry sump" issues and calling the tea kettle black!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
Did anyone mention hand-grenading M3 engines? According to a couple of M3 sites these engines hand-grenade after a few thousand miles and a little track work. Apparently they can't handle the stress of a DE. So much for being "track ready!"

Old Poupon, you should switch to a car that's been engineered for the track, not one that was engineered for an ad campaign.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Banned
Did anyone mention hand-grenading M3 engines? According to a couple of M3 sites these engines hand-grenade after a few thousand miles and a little track work. Apparently they can't handle the stress of a DE. So much for being "track ready!"

Old Poupon, you should switch to a car that's been engineered for the track, not one that was engineered for an ad campaign.
Oh, did you read that from one of your non-existent sources again? You know, the ones you can't show anyone?

Odd, my motor is fine. Everyone I know who has a new M3 hasn't had their motor grenade. The internals are forged, and of much higher quality that what porsche gave you. It would be nice if you knew what you were talking about, maybe you need to read an article on the motor?

Engineered for an ad-campaign? That would be YOUR vehicle, the one Porsche has to protect from getting beaten by its cheaper little brother, the Cayman. You don't see its your car that is the one that is not race bred, you would have to step up to a GT3 or turbo to make that claim.

Watch as BMW trounces the 911's in ALMS again, and this time porsche can't ***** and complain about a V8 not being for sale.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by RiceEater
So what makes you think that the e92's "internal dry sump" (aka wet sump) is way better than Porsche's, especially since it can barely burn past a car with an engine that is down in cylinders, displacement, horses, and torque with worse gas mileage?

Yeah, you may want to review your car's engine schematics before you start barking about "dry sump" issues and calling the tea kettle black!
Barely burn past? Haha, ya, I saw first hand how a 997S was running 13.10 vs. me at the track. I wasn't barely burning past, I was pulling by like a freight train. It isn't even a question, the M3 puts out more power and has a better built, more advanced motor.

You kidding me? If you can't see how far ahead the M3's V8 is in comparison, I can't help you. Porsche is limited by the Flat-6 in the 911, they know, you know it, everyone knows it. Its days are numbered.

Last edited by CURI0; 02-02-2009 at 11:06 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who would trade their 911 for an M3?